Opeth going down the tubes? ...

dsoul

Feb 27, 2005
I have been a diehard Opeth fan for a long time. And I have always had tremendous respect for Opeth NOT doing what everyone else seemed to be doing. ie going the way of Hypocrisy, or Entombed, or In Flames, or Satyricon, in that they never seemed to sell out or go gay. I say sell out like Hypocrisy with the ridiculous Catch 22 and Arrival albums that sounded like poor swedish versions of Slipknot, or gay like the terrible newer Gothenburg sound In Flames created thanks to such masterpieces (SARCASM) as Reroute to Remain and Soundtrack to your escape. Opeth never seemed to do this, from Orchid all the way through Damnation they stuck to what got them a cult underground following that turned into the massively used community that these forums are today: which was being highly skilled, unique, and absolutely refused to rely on commercialization or dumbing down of their music like Hypocrisy and Entombed did.

Now, I am afraid I have bought my last Opeth album. Granted, the cover art I have seen, album title, and track names don't scare me.....but getting on the Roadrunner bandwagon and touring with FUCKING KORN??!?!?!? KORN?!?!?!?!?!?! That's worth repeating for a third time.....KORN?!?!?!? What in the flying fuck!? My heart skipped a few beats in disgust when I heard that Opeth, Mike Akerfeldt's Opeth, the man whose laid down the most brutal vocals in death metal with Bloodbath and the most heart tearing gut wrenching screams on Brave Murder Day will open for the biggest piece of shit alternative band in history? Wow. I don't know why they left Century OR peaceville, but it CANT be that bad.... Jonas and Anders seem to still find Peaceville adequate, why can't Opeth? I mean, is it really worth it to be on a label with Slipknot and have Opeth Street teams and shit? As Fenriz might say...."this is not true metal".

I really, really do hope that Ghost Reveries is a good album. I really, really hope that all of this will be cancelled out by continued good music....but the fact that on Opeth's Roadrunner page, their classic picture has been photoshopped, and the dark, foreboding atmosphere has been replaced with bright blue skies....does not bode well for anything good. What a shame.

You have a right to your opinion, but I disagree with it. I don't care who Opeth tours with... In fact I hope they continue to tour with bands who's fans have never been exposed to the Ålmighty and his minions. I am not in the least bit afraid that the guys will get their feelings hurt if they are readily accepted by the unknowing.... or that their set will not have "Headliner" written all over it regardless of who happens to play after they leave the stage. The material, presence, talent, etc. are unquestionable in my opinion. And I refuse to get my panties in a bunch over a photoshop job on the bands picture. Your not going to see them get "photoshoped" with an image makeover and Mike isn't going to morph into Jonathan Davis. Your post smells like trolling for an argument, but you won't get one from me.

Out.:devil:

I know, I know, I wasn't too fond of the whole Korn news either. But heck, just look at it this way. A BETTER band is opening for them and going to show the crowd what REAL music is like, not some half-assed piece of shit. We all know that Mike isn't fond of Korn or any other nu-metal band or most bands this generation in fact that are making all the cash and sales (popular stuff.)

I KNOW Reveries will be ALL OPETH - heck, as long as they remain opeth I couldn't care less what they do really.

It's sad, what's happening from Roadrunner's side of things (booking Opeth into nu-metal tours, setting them up with street teams etc.). But that's Roadrunner's standard job on any band on their roster. They just don't do, or seem to know anything else. They're all about promo and selling, and that's what they do well.

I believe Opeth are still going to do the things they do without outside influence, but Roadrunner may try to twist them into something they're not from a promo perspective.

Themoor666 said:
I don't think they're going to sell out or any of that shit, I think the members of the band have more musical integrity than that, personally.
famous words.
how many times have we heard that one?

I love that "Emos" sig.

On topic, I am SO SICK of hearing people say Opeth are going to sell out. Give them some credit. Plus all the angsty mallcore kids could probably benefit from exposure to a kick-ass band like Opeth.

Opeth is playing a fucking festival with Korn, so fucking what??? They played Download last year with equally shitty bands. You people need to relax with this sell out crap. shit thread by the way.

Didn't Mike say that he'd bitchslap anyone that tried to interfere? Give Mike and the guys some credit. They may be getting more famous but it's not from selling out, it's from getting more exposure. Have faith in Jesus Akerfeldt, he will resist the devil's temptations.

Does Opeth HAVE to set up their own street teams? Can't they just decline the offer from RR? And this tour with nu-metal bands...bands that Opeth publically stated they don't particularly find impressive....why? This sooo contradicts their view of the music scene.

Opeth shall previal........!!!.......thyre just too good to be "SEELING OUT:" or anytthing.....hahaha....also this selling out hting seems to be in ....everyone wasnts to predict Opeth's future....I say wait ...elt the album come out and give it a good lsiten........!!!!!.......Opeth is Opeth........thyre never ever ever ever ever ever changing for anyone else.......!!!!.....have faith in ur efav band brother.....!!!.....Keep rockin........PEAC EOUT

Anyone freaking out about the festival tour date with Korn(along with 20 other bands) is fucking idiot. Do you realize how much you're overreacting? The ignorance is off the charts. Jesus christ...every popular or at least borderline popular extreme metal band in the world plays at least one festival date with bands like Linkin Park, Korn or something. I think it was the download festival last year where Opeth played that had linkin park, slipknot and sum 41 on it. Was that a tour? No...Do they write riffs like those bands? No...Bands have no control over who they tour with, they have no involvement unless they get into the business aspect of the label booking/creating tours. Did Opeth choose Devildriver 1 1/2 years ago? No...Mike never even heard them until the tour. My point here is...don't get mad at Opeth touring with shitty bands, get mad at the labels. And also...if you're gonna get mad at Opeth for playing a festival date that just so happens to have Korn on it, shoot yourself.

R0l0 said:
Uhh that "classic photo" always had blue skies, what are you talking about?

I was just going to say that! Everyone check the official website:

01.jpg

What the fuck is wrong with that picture?
Secondly, I don't see what's wrong with these Opeth street teams. Heck, if there were European street teams, I'd sign up for it. I'm just a little afraid they're going to neglect Europe a bit.. Anyway, it probably has been siad before, but I'll say it again: I think the people who complain about these tours and street teams, are just "selfish" and want to keep Opeth to themselves..
I guess most of you aren't familiar with the concept of a festival either. It is supposed to be a mixture of many genres (at least in my opinion) + they are not touring with Korn, it's just a one-off festival date.
I will take everything I said back of course when the new album turns out to be nu-metal :p (which I very highly doubt)..