What would Metallica sound like if they...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
...didn't move into Load and Reload territory?

Anyone heard "Different but the Same" by Perzonal War? This is so old school Metallica that they even promote this on their front cover, and I quote 'eleven songs in the vein of early Metallica'. It's not a sticker on the CD cover, it's actually printed on the artwork. :lol:

It's good stuff - worth checking out if you miss the Puppets era.

It's surpisingly good - the vocalist has his Hetfield moments (from Lightning/Puppets era), and the music is very Metallica'ish, but at times they break into progressive/melodic interludes. Well, I guess Metallica did that too...anyways, you get the drift... :)

Like I said, if you miss the days of Metallica yesteryear, Perzonal War are the ticket. (Great production too).

Originally posted by MacMoney
They would suck as much as the self-titled did.

Did you think that when it first came out? I hear a lot of people dissing this album now, but when it first came out, everyone was all over it - it just got too much airplay perhaps.

If you think about it, "Of Wolf and Man", "Through the Never" and "Holier than Thou" still sound cool because they were never overplayed!

And "The God that Failed" could be one of my fave Metallica tracks. The lyrics are fantastic. I was lucky enough to see them play this live too.

Did you think that when it first came out? I hear a lot of people dissing this album now, but when it first came out, everyone was all over it - it just got too much airplay perhaps.

Yes, I did. I found it bland back then and I find it bland nowadays. It has a couple of decent songs, that's it.

anything PRE- in justice was the best but i do have to say that the black album had 1 or 2 good cuts on it. load and reload sucked crap along with S&M althoe S&M did show that metallica really changed and they werent the metal masters they once were. They got old and slow and kinda jumped on the slower train of consequences and wanted to be more main stream.Nothing pissed me off more then seeing some preppy dude that was all into rap saying "that new metallica album was cool" then i knew for sure that metallica was not the band i grew up on.Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with getting into metal but when the band goes so mainstream and quote unquote "SELLS OUT" and they start playing the band on the local soft rock station it's time for me to jump off that train

You bitch that they did move into that. But if they didn't and were still making thrash you'd be moaning that they never change and they are all the same.

I don't think they can win really.

Originally posted by Somewhere In Time
You bitch that they did move into that. But if they didn't and were still making thrash you'd be moaning that they never change and they are all the same.

I don't think they can win really.

I personally am all for change. I defend In Flames with their new CD, I think it sounds great.

However, for Metallica to go from And Justice to Load/Reload in one album stepping-stone jump is too radical a departure IMO. To go from Dyers Eve to Aint My Bitch was a bit too much IMO.

And now James Hetfield is singing Waylon Jennings songs on a tribute album, and they've even worked with Jay-Z now too right?

Sorry - didn't mean for this to turn into a Metallica 'sell out' thread. Just check out Perzonal War - they rule.

Originally posted by JayKeeley
I personally am all for change. I defend In Flames with their new CD, I think it sounds great.

However, for Metallica to go from And Justice to Load/Reload in one album stepping-stone jump is too radical a departure IMO. To go from Dyers Eve to Aint My Bitch was a bit too much IMO.

And now James Hetfield is singing Waylon Jennings songs on a tribute album, and they've even worked with Jay-Z now too right?

Sorry - didn't mean for this to turn into a Metallica 'sell out' thread. Just check out Perzonal War - they rule.

I really like new Metallica, not as much as old admittedly. But I still like it.

Im sorry but LOAD was the straw that broke the camel's back for us"TRUE OLD SCHOOL METALLICA FANS" i am just stateing my opinion here but when you get used to listing to some hard "rock" (cuz i never considered them metal maybe thrash in the wiplash days) it's kinda hard to see them go from hard rock to slow smooth rock to apeal to the masses

Well I'm one of the 'masses' that they appealed to after 'selling out'! I was never really into Metallica's early stuff and got into them only a few years ago. But now I like the earlier stuff as well as the 'commercial' stuff. If they were doing the same old stuff everyone would hate it.

I agree that Tallica did go a lil softer from Justice to Reload...but i am a huge tallica fan and I feel that even though they went soft with their music its still metallica and metallica still kix.

It is a little redundant to keep bashing Metallica but you can't say that it isn't deserved. Did you really expect the majority of their old fans to just accept this without any criticism? I mean do they even support the scene like they used to back in the day or is appearing on MTV and VH-1 more important now. The whole Napster situation years ago spelled it out for me and many others. You used to be able to go to a Death Angel or Testament show and see them regularly hanging out. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

Originally posted by DEVIANCE
Im sorry but LOAD was the straw that broke the camel's back for us"TRUE OLD SCHOOL METALLICA FANS" i am just stateing my opinion here but when you get used to listing to some hard "rock" (cuz i never considered them metal maybe thrash in the wiplash days) it's kinda hard to see them go from hard rock to slow smooth rock to apeal to the masses

It's all down to personal taste and if new Metallica doesn't float your boat then fair enough.

I think it's highly underated. If they had hit the scene and started off with that kind of thing then they wouldn't have got anywhere near as much stick as they get now. They wanted a change of direction and I respect that, I think it was actually quite a brave move because it certainly didn't seem to draw in new fans. If anything it lost them fans.