What would you do in this situation?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
As an Audio Engineer, your job is not to be involved in the music writing process.. That is the job of a producer.

I was hired by a band as an AE for an album. I've been working with them and what they have is nice, when you look at just two rhythm guitars, bass, drums and vocals.

This band has a third guitarist whose job is to simply embellish the music, but alas, his parts are FAR from that; they're actually deteriorating from the product.

In my head I'm saying 'my god that sounds terrible', but I know it's not my place to say anything.

The reason I'm concerned is that sure, I don't want the band to make a fool of themselves, but this also reflects on my work as well.

Suggestions?

If it hasn't already been specifically stated, discuss your role in the project with the band - ask them if they are looking for feedback from you (sometimes they don't know the difference between a producer and engineer) and if they aren't (or if there is already a "producer" on the project) then drop it and move on. They might not realize that you're adhering to the traditional "engineer" role and they might welcome the feedback.

Have a chat with them about it, can't hurt to just bring up the topic. Chances are if it's that bad they agree with you but didn't know how to say it to the 3rd guitarist. I get credited as all sorts for recording people. I've on more than one occasion been called a producer when I'd more call myself the engineer and vice versa.

as an audio engineer... you must learn to be persuasive.

doing your job is important but it is not as important as a clear line of communication. the most difficult skill that an audio engineer must obtain is the ability to "serve the goal of the music." you need to understand how the ego works if you want to manipulate it.

i know, what i just said seems like a load of cryptic nonsense... but it is the same concept of military training... (these musicians must fear, trust and respect your skills).

if the producer is present, you must work closely with him/her. they will have better way of communicating your thoughts to the musicians.

this is an adversity that is recurring in the audio industry. (be their friend first, then they will trust you).

tell them to try the guitar parts two ways... (your way... then their way).

if yours sounds "better" i am certain the musicians will favor your idea.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The thing that sucks is that they are 'self producing' it, so that makes it even more rough, but I will take all of your suggestions and try them! I really appreciate it.