Whatever happened to that song called "The Abyss"?

Doucheman

Dec 9, 2001
Miramichi, NB
Visit site
The first Hypocrisy CD I ever bought was a digi-pack version of The Fourth Dimension with this song as a bonus-track, and to this day, I still think it is the greatest Hypocrisy ever. However, when I was really hard up for money in university, I pawned it off, and I never found it on CD again. Fortunately, I was able to download it on MP3, but I don't know why it ever fell to the wayside. I was hoping Peter would put it on the 10 Years Of Chaos And Confusion compilation, but no such luck. Anyone know why this song just sort of disappeared?

The Abyss was a Hypocrisy song recorded during or slightly after The 4th Dimension. The song, for uncertain (but many rumored) reasons did not make it to the original pressing of the album. Currently, there are three official U.S. pressings in cd of the 4th Dimension. There is the original, the re-release, & the Classic Series. The original does not contain The Abyss. The re-release, however does, but the Classic series (the re-release of the re-release in digipack form) basically contains all the tracks from Maximum Abduction (shaped EP) with the exception of Roswell 47.

The song The Abyss is by far one of the best, darkest, & most emotional songs released by Hypocrisy. The solo from the song is also regarded as one of the most passioniate & dark solos ever performed by Peter Tägtgren. I believe the song is not really included on things so that the song has kind of an obscure stigma. I suggest downloading this song if you can find it. You can also find the 4th Dimension cd pretty easily on Amazon.

No, I ment 4th Dimension, not Final Chapter. Sorry if I put Final Chpater. There is not a version of F.C. with Abyss on it (there is, however a copy of F.C. that includes Fuck U (a horrible song)). The Abyss only appears on the second release of 4th Dimensionm, & on the comp Death is Just The Beginning III.

Originally posted by Orias
No, I ment 4th Dimension, not Final Chapter. Sorry if I put Final Chpater. There is not a version of F.C. with Abyss on it (there is, however a copy of F.C. that includes Fuck U (a horrible song)). The Abyss only appears on the second release of 4th Dimensionm, & on the comp Death is Just The Beginning III.

Oh, okay, I didn't think that sounded right. I was aware of it being on the compilation as well...

I remember looking for that song for years, finding it on the death is just the beginning II comp only to discover that there was a defect on the CD affecting one track. Guess which one that was? :(

Found it again though. And it is a wicked track.

Did anyone ever see the video for it? If I remember it was black and white footage faded into each other, very dark, and what inspired me to get a hypocrisy album. Does anyone remember it, and if so, do you know if it's been released on anything?

I never saw a video for it, & I am rather obsessed with Hypocrisy. Are you thinking of a different video? I know it is possible for it to exist, because Hypocrisy hasn't officially released all of their videos, but I have never even heard about it.

I am almost sure it exists. I know I've seen it on headbangers ball back in the days :)

I bought the 4th dimension album because of that song but when I got it home and played it it wasn't on it (NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!). It's what started my obsession with hunting down that track.

Basically the video was a whole bunch of shots in black and white of just generall stuff (people walking baout, escalators and all that stuff) faded in and out.

I wonder if it's available anywhere, or if anyone nice has got it on video or something? Want to find it!

I couldn't remember what song that was until the Death is Just the Beginning compilation was mentioned... I have that comp, and I remember the song clearly now. Definately a badass song ;) That defect on the disc pisses me off, too... How dare they! heh...

I am constanly searching for additional Hypocrisy videos on Kazaa, but I have yet to come up with anything interesting.

this was probably about the third song i heard by hypocrisy and by far my favorite, and i have always wondered why the big deal was about it, people saying it was rare and such... now i know...

I have Death is Just the Beginning III compilation with "The Abyss" on it. I bought it because it was handy for radio play, so I haven't sat down and listened to it all the way through very often.

A couple of you mentioned a flaw on it... What kind of flaw? The only thing I've noticed is the track listing is all screwed up. Is that what you were talking about? And does anyone have the correct track listing?

Originally posted by llamaura

A couple of you mentioned a flaw on it... What kind of flaw? The only thing I've noticed is the track listing is all screwed up. Is that what you were talking about? And does anyone have the correct track listing?

In "The Abyss", there's a kind of "pop" or something just as the first chord is struck following the first chorus. Kind of annoying, but not too bad I suppose...

the only place that i know you can get this song now is off of the death is just the beginning cd.i beleive that it was on vol.3.the song was made for this disc.i dont think it was on any other album but that one.