Whatever happened to Trivium

album-the-crusade.jpg

Seriously, I can't believe this is the same dude who did Mastodon's Leviathan. Cheesiest POS I've ever seen.

I remember when I first saw that cover and was working at FYE. I thought it was a cover for a power metal band (at the time I didn't know Trivium obviously). Yeah, that cover doesn't fit their sound at all.

For me, The Crusade at least has Anthem (We are the Fire) and then the title track. Other than that, I could care less. But Shogun is pretty much amazing. The intro to Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis is one of the best intros to any metal song ever, imo.

As for their recent activity, they also did that song for God of War III, which was a pretty good piece.

Zod - It's open season my friend! I can tolerate MANY things and consider myself to have very thick skin. But damn you to oblivion for bringing God, er, I mean Messiah into this discussion!!!!!!!!!

This > ANYTHING Trivium has done:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, because they could have just taken a trip to Kohls.

Well, that Metallica and Guns N Roses shirt may have been purchased at Kohls. My Kohls Maiden shirt is better than a DorkThrone shirt.

The Overkill shirt is indeed killer, but come on, those shirts are as fresh as off the rack.

And certainly, it's better than buying preshredded jeans.

I dislike Trivium, because I don't like the way they sound. But other people like them, and I'm totally cool with that.
And that's pretty much all I have to say about them.

I know it's not really punx but I like to have my clothes clean too. Not a fan of dirty laundry.

Hey, I do too, but the point is that those shirts are straight off the rack, purchased for the promo photo. Not like these guys are raging metalheads from the 80s, though the label wants you to think they are.

How is that any different from any other professionally done promo photo? It's a promo shoot. Labels give them money for clothes and makeup. That's what they're SUPPOSED TO DO.

I mean is Trivium really the first band in the world to get new clothes for a photo session?

I mean is Trivium really the first band in the world to get new clothes for a photo session?

You missed my point completely then.
It's not so much that they got new shirts, its the shirts that they got.

I mean come on, they have black metal, thrash metal, mainstream metal, and hard rock all covered. Seems very staged to me.

It is staged!! It's a PROMO PICTURE. They hire professional photographers to set up, also known as 'staging', poses for the band members to take up. THAT'S THE POINT.

Does their label really want the audience to think that Trivium are a bunch of 'raging metalheads from the 80s'? Funny. I would have thought they wanted the audience to think of Trivium as the younger, new generation. Not the old guys. And what were they marketed as before they were marketed as a metal band again?

I don't even like Trivium. I think they're a really bad band. But this is ridiculous. They've all played in metal bands before Trivium. Their current drummer used to play with Maruta. Heafy was in Capharnaum. You're seriously trying to detract from their 'metal cred' by having problems with their PROMO PICTURES.

You're seriously just grasping for straws dude.

Sorry Jason, but dcowboys is right. I don't see what the big deal is that these guys are wearing "new" metal tees. I'm 34, so I wasn't old enough to attend shows back in the 80's. I guarantee you that the boys from Trivium aren't either. That's not to say that Trivium and myself included aren't passionate about 80's metal and traditional metal.

Are you going to bust my balls for wearing a new Hall of the Mountain King shirt? I'm very passionate about Savatage, but I simply wasn't able to attend any shows that they played in the 80's. I remember an older kid in middle school wearing a HOTMK tee back in the day and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen!

~Brian~

You missed my point completely then.
It's not so much that they got new shirts, its the shirts that they got.

I mean come on, they have black metal, thrash metal, mainstream metal, and hard rock all covered. Seems very staged to me.

So a promo photo should be spontaneous? What would be the promotional benefit to that? Every band chooses what it will wear just for the photo or video shoot. I've got news for you, almost every band chooses what its members will wear for pretty much EVERY public occasion. Doesn't matter how true or not they are.

And yeah, it's funny when alot of true metal dudes claim that mainstream bands like Trivium and A7X were artificed by labels. As if Roadrunner decided to pluck a few scene kids together and give them a recording advance. That's not how it works, and as D-boiz said, you can go back to like 04 and see Matt Heafy with long hair jamming with Dan from Martyr (now in Voivod) in Capharnaum.

It is staged!! It's a PROMO PICTURE. They hire professional photographers to set up, also known as 'staging', poses for the band members to take up. THAT'S THE POINT.

Does their label really want the audience to think that Trivium are a bunch of 'raging metalheads from the 80s'? Funny. I would have thought they wanted the audience to think of Trivium as the younger, new generation. Not the old guys. And what were they marketed as before they were marketed as a metal band again?

I don't even like Trivium. I think they're a really bad band. But this is ridiculous. They've all played in metal bands before Trivium. Their current drummer used to play with Maruta. Heafy was in Capharnaum. You're seriously trying to detract from their 'metal cred' by having problems with their PROMO PICTURES.

You're seriously just grasping for straws dude.

This.

Jason, a question for you.

Do you really think a promo picture for a band like Kamelot, let's say, could be taken "spontaneously"? Let's just assume for the sake of argument that Thomas Youngblood leaves his house in Florida that morning wearing a comfy outfit cause it's hot. Shirt and shorts. Oh yeah, and a Marlins baseball cap. Imagine that in the cover of the next Kamelot DVD?

Or... do you think Rhapsody of Fire wears those nice medieval/romantic shirts when they go out to buy bread and milk? :lol:

Yeah, I didn't think so. Promotional pictures are supposed to be staged. Never spontaneous. EVER.

In fact, one of the most iconic and infamous photos within the entire undergound metalscene is this one right here:

varg_vikernes_1987-1999_05.jpg

But even Varg himself has said this photo was meant to go into Norwegian newspapers and zines in order to present the public with an image. That's how it always is no matter who it is.