Whatever happened to Trivium

varg_vikernes_1987-1999_05.jpg

I believe Hot Topic is now selling these spiked clubs for $19.95.

Do you really think a promo picture for a band like Kamelot, let's say, could be taken "spontaneously"?

No, of course not.
Same for Turisas, Rhapsody, etc.

The difference here is you have a band that borders hardcore and metal in sound, and is using this promo opportunity to say, "Look at us, we know some metal bands!"

This has nothing to do with their age. It has to do with the band wearing shirts of bands all of which sound nothing whatsoever like the band. That's not to say that bands ONLY listen to what they sound like.

It's just as lame as when Miley Cyrus wore a Maiden shirt, or Drew Barrymore wore a Priest shirt.

Furthermore, it's not at all how this band EVER dresses anyhow.

TRIVIUM will enter Audiohammer Studios on January 16 with Colin Richardson to start recording the new TRIVIUM album. In a recent Twitter update, frontman Matt Heafy confirmed that TRIVIUM has “17 songs” written and ready to go.

Sorry Jason, but dcowboys is right.

No need to apologize. We're having a discussion.
We just seem to disagree.

I like many bands too that were around before my time and would not be opposed to wearing their shirts.

I think its great when younger fans discover older bands.

Honestly, I always thought it looked really cheesy when bands wear band shirts in promo photos.

Question for you Jason, what type of promo photos do you think bands should do? That photo you brought up of Trivium is no different than the vast majority of metal bands new and old to be perfectly honest. Just off the top of my head I know I've seen Kerry King wearing other bands' shirts in promos. Lastly, how do you know these guys didn't grow up listening to metal? And even if they did come from hardcore, who cares? Is hardcore that far removed from metal? It's not like they went from doing pop music to doing metal?

Btw, I'm not trying to attack you Jason, I'm just curious. You seem really attached to the image is everything in terms of a band's credibility at times.

Look, you don't have to tell me about liking different kinds of music.
I am into metal, classic rock, alternative, punk, hardcore, industrial, and beyond.

My problem with THIS specific photo is how staged it looks in having 4 different genres of metal covered across the shirts.
It's almost a cry for metal credibility.

That's my problem with the photo.

They are certainly not the only band on the planet who has had a promo photo like that.

They probably couldn't care less about metal credibility man. It's literally nothing more than them picking their 4 favorite shirts that they thought they'd look coolest in. They didn't sit there and decide on which specific band shirt to wear because there's some deeper meaning in the bands they chose to rock. If 100 Darkthrone fans bought Trivium because they thought Heafy was cool for wearing their shirt, that's a byproduct, but not the intention. It just boils down to looking good and creating an overall image. "Band shirts" are a common look for metal bands. Some go for the typical "all black button-down" look, but not all do.

Also didn't know you could tell shirts were new by looking at a 336 × 181 jpg. Let me think about this long and hard, together we could put your talent to good use I think.

They probably couldn't care less about metal credibility man.

How do you know?????

See,that's exactly it. I interpret the photo one way, and you all interpret another saying that I am wrong.

The bottom line is that people will make assumptions and interpretations based on such photos.

Look, just like with Blackguard, I know I am not their target audience.
Therefore, as a 35 year old, I see the pic as a cry for metal cred.

I never said (as I honestly would not know) that these guys honestly do not like the bands whose shirts they are wearing, it just comes off as questionable.

And finally, yes, image is big in ascertaining your original perception of a band, considering many folks first exposure to a band will be a photo.

So, a 15 year old kid getting into metal may think, "Cool, these guys look like how I wanna dress" Yes, I get it. It's appealing to their target audience.

I just don't buy it, nor do I have to.

Right...but the burden of proof is on you to prove that they don't like the bands and are false. Not us to prove that they like them.

When one wears a band shirt, it can be assumed that they enjoy said band. It's your job to prove that Trivium is false and doesn't like these bands or has other motives.

The bottom line is that people will make assumptions and interpretations based on such photos.
This.

As much as we all may hate to admit it, if we see a band before we hear them, we draw certain inferences based on how they present themselves. There's no way to avoid that; it's how the mind work. Obviously, bands are aware of this, it's why they most typically present themselves in a manner befitting the audience they're trying to attract.

To Jason's point, I suspect most of us could take one look at that infamous Trivium pic and guess... Roadrunner Metalcore band. And right or wrong, the knock on these bands is often that they're not "true Metal", and that any connection they attempt to create between themselves and "true Metal" bands is fabricated to appeal to a wider audience. So I get where Jason is coming from. I simply see an irony there, as we typically paint ourselves as people who put music first. In truth, we're often as guilty as any other community of being influenced by appearances.

Zod is 100% correct.
It's all about first impression.

I don't have to prove whether or not the dudes in Trivium are truly into those bands or not, as that isn't even the point.

It's simply Jasonic's first impression when I first saw that photo many years back of, "Oh how cute. These guys went to the store and each got a different genre band shirt to establish some cred"

It has nothing to do with right or wrong.

It's a consequence of their actions to present themselves in that manner in a promo photo.

As others said, it's the same with bands like Kamelot and Rhapsody.
There are MANY MANY metalheads worldwide that will never give them the time of day based on how they dress. They instantly conclude based on appearance that they are not a band for them.

How do you know?????

See,that's exactly it. I interpret the photo one way, and you all interpret another saying that I am wrong.

Well yes and no. You can make whatever interpretation you want and you're more than welcome to do. There's no right, and there's no wrong. And not only that, but you can also make interpretations that go against intention or truth. It's a photograph, it's art, it's meant to be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

But we're not talking about interpretation, so nice backpeddle homeslice, but no. We're talking specifically about intention, which is a bit more objective and not as open to interpretation. Now, Ockham's Razor would probably tell me to think that the idea they specifically looked at each of the shirts they are wearing and carefully selected each specific band on the shirt because they wanted to appease true metal fans... I think the idea of that much time and effort being spent in a $500 photoshoot that they're not even paying for is pretty silly.

Image is important, a good photo is important, but not THAT important. Photoshoots just aren't that large of an investment, nor would the return on that investment largely come as a consequence of the photoshoot, thus, putting that much time and effort into looking like that makes no sense. It's one thing if it was some major marketing campaign by some movie company in which the photo was wrapped on buses, subways etc, but we're not talking more than like 3-500 bucks.

So yeah, I mean you can say that it "looks" to you that they are purposely artificing a true metal image just to appease the true metal fans and are failing, based on your opinion, but in terms of what actually went down it's more than likely not the case. That doesn't mean you aren't welcome to interpretation though.

Story of your life, huh?

Hey, you guys are the ones who get all worked up over it.

Art can be interpreted in many different ways.

As a potential customer, how can you say I am not warranted in viewing Trivium as a bunch of punk-ass posers who don't know crap about true metal?

If their marketing turned me, or someone off, as a potential fan, then I would think it is important.

Yeah, I know your next response will be, "Well you wouldn't like them anyhow so what's the difference" and that is fine.

If I was in a band and someone had an adverse reaction to our marketing, I would at least be interested in knowing why. Sure, even if someone's interpretation was incorrect, it is still THEIR interpretation.

I am done with this thread.
I would actually rather discuss Disturbed's monkey vocals and their singer's bald head and bad facial jewelry than TRIVIUM any day of the week.