What's Shakin' your tin?

Southy

Proud Brisbane Metaller
Jul 28, 2001
Brisbane,Australia
Visit site
In an attempt to create a little mindless discussion amongst my favourite bunch of internet mates, I thought I would ask you all,

What music have you been listening too lately, old and new, that is making you feel good about feeling good?

Let me start, since being made redundant in May, I have had a bit of time to rediscover a once great love of Deicide, Dying Fetus and Obituary, nothing really new there, just some brutal as stink sounds to annoy the elderly neighbours with. I don't do it on purpose mind you, I am too old for that, it is just what has been shaking my tin of late.

K........GO!!

Also Winny, have you got an ear around the new ST, whaddya reckon?

it's been random for me, lots of non metal stuff -Kate Bush, Tori Amos, folk music with an ocean/sailor/pirate theme- but swings back to the usual prog stuff eventually.

Can't put names to tracks right now, as I'm in between songs that I play to death for what ever reason.

I've been digging out my old favourites from bands that I haven't listened to for years. Ivanhoe "Polarized", Elegy "Forbidden Fruit", Maudlin of the Well "Bath", Theory in Practice "Colonizing the Sun", Angel Dust "Border of Reality", Digital Ruin "Dwelling in the Out", Aztec Jade "Paradise Lost", Ice Age "Liberation", Artension "Into the Eye of the Storm", Shaman "Ritual"... It all started from seeing a new Ivanhoe album announced, then the nostalgia took over.

I've been jumping around on Spotify.

On the heavy side of things I've found "In This Moment" with the album "Blood" which is really doing it for me. The earlier albums are OK, but Blood is really good. John 5 is also getting a spin, and I don't know how I've gone this long without Bad Religion and Orange Goblin.

And as far away from metal as you get, I've recently discovered Chap-hop. Professor Elemental and Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer bring it.

And as far away from metal as you get, I've recently discovered Chap-hop. Professor Elemental and Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer bring it.

Prof Elemental is very clever, don't get into Mr B as much.
Am still waiting on their proper Rap Battle vidoes that were promised ages ago. Not the dodgy live recordings but the studio effort.

Have also been listening to The Heavy of late.
A British rockband with touches of Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Many people know their song Short Change Hero from the game Borderlands 2.

Prof Elemental is very clever, don't get into Mr B as much.
Am still waiting on their proper Rap Battle vidoes that were promised ages ago. Not the dodgy live recordings but the studio effort.

On Elemental's latest album there's a rap battle between them. No video for it as far as I'm aware though. They also make up at the end, so unless there's a falling out I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Let me start, since being made redundant in May, I have had a bit of time to rediscover a once great love of Deicide, Dying Fetus and Obituary

Also Winny, have you got an ear around the new ST, whaddya reckon?

First of all, that's shitty re being made redundant. Have you found something else?

I haven't heard the new ST yet, but must get hold of it. All I've heard is this:

Lately I've been listening to stuff on Spotify as well as my existing collection. Quite a bit of Fear Factory, some Abramelin and new Alice in Chains and Helloween, but otherwise just a mix of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Winery Dogs album is crazy good.
Thats the Portnoy, Kotzen, Sheehan project.
Album of the year so far for me.

Am also loving Clack Country Communion at the moment.
All 3 albums are wicked. A throwback to oldschool 70's hard rock.

New The Dillinger Escape Plan is the best yet.
New The Ocean is pretty fucking good too.
New Carcass is also awesome.

Has anyone heard Phil Anselmo's new band? I've just started listening to the album. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either.

Wisdom of Crowds album featuring Jonas Renkse and some other guy is a current fav.
Also enjoying new Editors and being disappointed by new Megadeth, which seems to have a few good tracks and a bit of filler.
Finally picked up the debut ep from Egypt, which is amazing, along with their first full length Become The Sun, which is also good, but not as stellar as the ep.
New Depeche Mode album Delta Machine has some great material on it, but not as strong overall as the last couple.

Looking forward to grabbing new Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquillity albums in coming weeks, and would also like to check out the new Carcass.

I should give Black Country Communion another go, but on first listen I wasn't impressed enough to go back for more. I could probably give The Winery Dogs a go as well when I get a chance.

Just listened to the latest Dark Tranquillity and The Ocean albums and fuck me sideways they are both jaw-droppingly amazing! :OMG:

I haven't heard new stuff from either band in years but The Ocean's Pelagial is on par, if not better, than their 2007 release Precambrian.

DT's album Construct fuses what I loved about the band's move in Melodic Death Metal and their word from Character onwards.

Will listen to The Winery Dogs next.

DT's album Construct fuses what I loved about the band's move in Melodic Death Metal and their word from Character onwards.

Yeah, there is definitely some awesome hints of their Projector to Damage Done stuff on Construct... really enjoying it.

Have also been listening to Cog The New Normal a fair bit, though I guess that album is old news.

I should give Black Country Communion another go, but on first listen I wasn't impressed enough to go back for more. I could probably give The Winery Dogs a go as well when I get a chance.

If you didn't like Black Country Communion you probably won't like The Winery Dogs. I loved the first BCC album but it went downhill from there. TWD sounds like the kind of album BCC should have made if they didn't drop the ball, with just a touch of Van Hagar for good measure. Easy album-of-the-year contender.

The two main things I've been listening to on rotation this week have been The Winery Dogs and the Aristocrats' new album "Culture Clash", which is all that I hoped they would be but weren't quite there with their debut. It's a good year for supergroups :kickass: