What's the best album to start with for a Vintersorg newbie?

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
The new one? I'm already interested just because Asgeir Mickelson and Steve Di Giorgio are on it. I'm totally into bands like Opeth, which I've heard V compared to. I've heard the new one has more clean vocals than before.

Although, I've also been told to start with Cosmic Genesis.

Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

---
TWELFTH GATE
http://www.TwelfthGate.net

Well, you can start out with the new one. Cosmic Genesis and Till Fjälls are great too. You might want to check out all of them. None of them are quite like Visions from the Spiral Generator (From what I hear). I should be receiving my copy soon. :)

Originally posted by GateXII
I've also heard it described as "folkish metal". What the hell does that mean?

It has elements of folk music. Of course, this only helps if you've heard Swedish folk music. But if you generally have a slight interest in folk music, it helps... and if you don't, it probalby won't deter you.

And since it is "folkish," it is often in the original language. Vsorg's first 2.5 albums (hedniskhjartad (the EP), Til Fjalls, and Odemarkens Son) are all in Swedish. Cosmic Genesis is about 50% Swedish and 50% English, while Visions from the Spiral Generator is more like 30%/70%. However, Visions is VERY different from the rest of his albums and I don't consider it to be folkish in the slightest.

So, I recommend you not start with Visions, even if it is the only album with Steve and Asgeir.

99% of people, when they recommend Vintersorg to you are thinking of the earlier albums and not Visions (although some like that, and some don't... obviously).

Anyway, we get this question on here every couple weeks, and every album gets mentioned within 10 posts. Cosmic Genesis is the most accessible because of the English songs, so I say go for that.

Originally posted by The Nomad

It has elements of folk music. Of course, this only helps if you've heard Swedish folk music. But if you generally have a slight interest in folk music, it helps... and if you don't, it probalby won't deter you.

And since it is "folkish," it is often in the original language. Vsorg's first 2.5 albums (hedniskhjartad (the EP), Til Fjalls, and Odemarkens Son) are all in Swedish. Cosmic Genesis is about 50% Swedish and 50% English, while Visions from the Spiral Generator is more like 30%/70%. However, Visions is VERY different from the rest of his albums and I don't consider it to be folkish in the slightest.

So, I recommend you not start with Visions, even if it is the only album with Steve and Asgeir.

99% of people, when they recommend Vintersorg to you are thinking of the earlier albums and not Visions (although some like that, and some don't... obviously).

Anyway, we get this question on here every couple weeks, and every album gets mentioned within 10 posts. Cosmic Genesis is the most accessible because of the English songs, so I say go for that.

Thanks for detailed feedback.

Another question though - what's so different about "Visions" that makes it so unlike the others?

I've heard the new one has more clean vocals than before.

Actually, not really. It's pretty similar. I've only listened to it 4 times so far, but all the albums have a good mix of clean and not-clean vox. Also, the first 1.5 albums (hedniskhjartad and Til Fjalls) have a couple tracks with female singer Cia Hedmark (of Otyg, which was a folk metal project of Vintersorg), which is quite nice if you like that.

Oh, and about the new album, yes, it has plenty of new vocals, but he seems to be singing in a higher register, and to me, it does not have as much power as the older albums.

Originally posted by The Nomad

Actually, not really. It's pretty similar. I've only listened to it 4 times so far, but all the albums have a good mix of clean and not-clean vox. Also, the first 1.5 albums (hedniskhjartad and Til Fjalls) have a couple tracks with female singer Cia Hedmark (of Otyg, which was a folk metal project of Vintersorg), which is quite nice if you like that.

Oh, and about the new album, yes, it has plenty of new vocals, but he seems to be singing in a higher register, and to me, it does not have as much power as the older albums.

Chick singer? Ah...Very cool!!! V sounds cooler & cooler by the minute. Hope I'm not building them up too much in my mind - I'd hate to be disappointed. Doesn't sound like I will be though.

Thanks again!!

Chick singer? Ah...Very cool!!! V sounds cooler & cooler by the minute. Hope I'm not building them up too much in my mind - I'd hate to be disappointed. Doesn't sound like I will be though.

It's only a couple lines in a couple songs. But he's still fantastic, so don't worry about building him up too much. I haven't heard of anyone who disliked Vintersorg after having it (seriously) recommended to them.

I say go for Cosmic Genesis, the whole thing is solid. Its not quite as progressive as Visions and it still retains a bit that folkish element from the older albums. Also its has English lyrics in about 7/9 songs. Its a great album. Till Fjalls alone is a classic so that would prolly also be a safe bet.