What's the best way to capture impulse responses?

Metalliac

New Metal Member
Mar 18, 2012
So, I've been thinking about capturing some impulses of my Mesa Stiletto 2x12 cab to use with my Axe-FX II and now an opportunity has presented itself for me to do it!
Now I would just like to know the best way to capture the impulse responses for optimal results, since I have numerous options here. My options are:

a) Record the impulses with the Axe-FX II's built-in IR capturing feature. I'm worried however that the truncating to 2048 samples would undermine the sound quality.

b) Use the AxeomaticDSP program to generate the test tone and for deconvolving. I think the program doesn't truncate the files unless exported in the Axe II.sysx format (I guess?)

c) Use Logic Studio's IR utility. This would allow me to record 96Khz samples wouldn't it?

d) Something else? What have I overlooked?

I'm tempted to go route A since it is the easiest - do the longer samples and the extra sample rate really make that much of a difference? The signal chain btw, would be Axe FX II (Or M-audio Profire 610) -> Rocktron Velocity 300 -> Mesa cab -> SM57 (maybe some other mics) -> GAP Pre-73 DLX -> M-Audio Profire 610 (Or the Axe-FX II). Oh, and naturally I would share the resulting IR's with this awesome board!