What's the most most proggy album you ever heard?

avant garde shit: The Sigh, Arcturus, Maudlin, albums mentioned above

Classic prog:
King Crimson - Larks Tongues, Red
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Yes - Relayer (definitely their most out there album...)

Modern prog/tech metal:
Spiral Architect/Cynic & related, of course
Zero Hour - Towers Of Avarice
Pain Of Salvation - anything, esp. Perfect Element

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
Sinkadus-Cirkus

This album was one of my first delvings into Prog, and damn, it rules! It's got the oddest, most disjointed melodies I've ever heard, odd time signatures, and just overall proggy mellotronesqueness that blew me away. It's kind of slow, but gets really heavy (as heavy as you can get with Drums, flute, keyboards, clean electric, bass, and cello)!

Wow, sounds fucking whacky! ;) Very cool

Well, depending on what you mean on proggy, i would say any of Theory in Practice's releases... they are the freakin' most technical band i have ever heard... check out the song Dehumanzed, from The armageddon theories to get a taste... cool song, great band...

Progressive is such a broad term... i consider bands like Symphony X progressive metal, you should check out their latest album V, very cool stuff. Fallen and Egypt are classic songs.

Technical metal doesn't seem to fall under the banner of "prog" for some reason, despite the fact that they are in fact the most technical and progressive bands around. Spiral Architect are technical, and yet most people wouldn't introduce them to someone as 'progmetal'.

Progmetal always has the "dream theater" stigma attatched :lol:

Well for those that are confused about the term pro-gressive, well its really quite simple:

Pro-gressive- to move ahead/make progress

Re-gressive- to move backwards/to regress

EMPEROR!! Prometheus The Discipline Of Fire And Demise.
Wins hands down for me.

It's cool someone said brutal truth, sounds of the animal kingdom. Technically it slots straight into grind, but far out. There aren't many more albums that are more fucked up than that one

Originally posted by Monsterxman

Live album prog. - Flower Kings, "Alive on Planet Earth" double cd... This is a fantastic live album... unbelievable energy and Roine Stolt's guitar solos are so full of emotion. Great for all people who play and love guitar.

To me the album that epitomizes prog, in the traditional sense, as it should be is Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Originally posted by Satori
Echolyn - As the world

:headbang:
(Just got Suffocating the Bloom, Cowboy Poems Free, and Mei as well!!)

Otherwise I would have to say anything by King Crimson would be great.

If you're looking for somewhat proggy DM I would recommend Cynic, Death (Symbolic, ITP, and TSOP in particular), Atheist, EOS (not really prog, except for maybe Crimson, but really interesting nonetheless), or Maudlin of the Well.

Otherwise, the earlier suggestions of In the Woods, Spiral Architect, Gentle Giant, and Pain of Salvation are all great (hell just about every bad mentioned in this thread has had its moments!).