what's the story on AND ?

Alwin

problem solver
Dec 4, 2003
NL
The album A Natural Disaster is (like AFDTE and other Anathema albums) about going mad, as Danny said in an interview. The cover art of AFDTE suggests the concept of a man leaving his family alone and choosing the Exit option. The songs on AFDTE can be seen as fragments of that story.

I think a similar story can be distilled from AND. Describe your ideas on this story. In particular, how is the woman singing the titlesong related to the main character and what does the song mean?

Erupt...

Alwin do you really think that there is something like a linear story on it? You can put one together, yes... but...

For me it is more or less a picture of an emotional landscape, related to one good known problem. Also I don´t think it is about going mad. It is a very mellow album...

going mad isnt necessairily accompanied by a 'storm' mate.
i cant find a typical story throughout the album, the commn thing about it tho is that these are thoughts and tunes of one and the same man.
if you put all the anathema songs danny's written together, you'd get the same picture. i think we can almost say we have a clear picture now how a person can regard life and himself in that context.

in my opinion the good thing in music is that everyone can find their own story in them; and this way they can see some things extremely different in them than other ones think. Surely Danny had his own story to write down, but what these lines mean to those who listen to them are different and different as noone's the same (thank god...)
and maybe that's why we cannot and never will be able to agree in one suggestion about the story that's in it, but in my opinion that's the way it should be. Like this we can discover new things in them everyday as time goes by and life changes, and this makes music live forever.

the only thing i can say is danny has been involved in a few (or maybe one?) VERY emotional, but agonizing relationship(s) lately. that is easy to tell.

exactly the same for me... i just cannot tell you how songs like "are you there", "a natural disaster" and "electricity" fit my life for the past few months. wow, danny did it again for me. thanks a lot for this wonderful album, mate.