What's this I'm hearing?

Opet

in my den of inequity
May 1, 2001
RI, USA
I want to know something. I didn't hear it before for some reason on Still Life, but I heard it first on Blackwater Park on the title track at the very end when it's quiet. At first I thought it was an echo of the picks. I heard it on Still Life too. It's a consistant tick-tick-tick-tick-tick noise. (Midas commercial comes to mind, hahaha) It's about as quiet as a pick leaving the strings, but I swear on Still Life I heard it again and BOTH the guitars sounded like they were busy doing a completely different rhythm for it to be them...but I don't know. That's why I ask.

Is it that click track contraption they said they used?

we use it for keeping the guitars in time , but we left it in the song two moons 'til autumn because it created more atmosphere , check it out at http://listen.to/wars , it's like in the middle of the song , it sounds pretty cool , more bands should use this , but it's our new thing (maybe not new) so it's cool . anyway i'm just making no sense now so , later

I'm pretty sure it's not the clicker- it's too n'sync :loco: with the picking. I"m not a "real" guitarist, but I think that they are using their fingers to pick the strings, and as such there is typically an "after" sound or noise- for the lack of a better word- that comes from the skin of the finger tips rubbing off and actually releasing the strings. Obviously fingertips have more volume than thin plastic picks, and so there would be a split differential between the sound of the tone and the "noise" of the fingers fully passing the string.

Originally posted by Xtokalon
I'm pretty sure it's not the clicker- it's too n'sync :loco: with the picking. I"m not a "real" guitarist, but I think that they are using their fingers to pick the strings, and as such there is typically an "after" sound or noise- for the lack of a better word- that comes from the skin of the finger tips rubbing off and actually releasing the strings. Obviously fingertips have more volume than thin plastic picks, and so there would be a split differential between the sound of the tone and the "noise" of the fingers fully passing the string.

Haven't heard this song "yet" but I will have the cd in a week or so .. AND I think you may be right about the finger picking thing