What's your latency for near-zero recording?

i do notice a difference between 128 and 256, for me the latency starts at 256 to become really noticeable
i have it at 32 or 64 though if its possible without clicks and pops
32 should be 0,7 and 64 1,5, but thats just for the buffer, in practice its always slightly more because the a/d and d/a conversion consumes some extra time i believe which is not included in what the manufacturers specify

If I use Asio4All Drivers with my toneport at 128 then it's about 3.6ms, if I use the actual line 6 ones at the same buffer size then its between 5-10ms.

I use 128 samples with my POD. I honestly don't notice any audible latency.
However any more than 128 and the audible latency starts happening.
This is however when I monitor externally and I have to make sure on my tracks there is no VSTs or anything. It can be a fucking pain, tracking DIs, testing the tone of it by reamping with 8505 or POD Farm and then having to re record it because I fucked up, because I then have to delete everything off the track (all VSTs and effects), re record and re apply all the VSTs and effects (although luckily you can save patches in POD Farm.........not so much in 8505:erk:), but it's how it's gotta be done with a POD otherwise it's latency city.

3ms(128 samples) here

running at the lowest rate my onyx allows(24 samples) would be instant death to my PC...

I cant software monitor, real time playback, after 2-2.5ms. --- anything past that, I have to program. I dont know how you guys get by at such high latency if you were using soft synths, drum programs, guitar plugs, etc... - just way too much delay, imo

64 buffer on my PC with Profire 2626 if possible
128 seems to be the lowest PT will go on my Mac though - Any PT MP 8.0.1 + OSX 10.5.8 + Profire 2626 users out there that can confirm?

I've had voiceover guys complain about the delay @128, but you can just direct monitor in those situations.

I used to have 15ms on my hercules and I got used to it having no other choice. I'm running Cubase studio 4 with OSX 10.5 on a profire and I cant go lower than 128 either, but as you mentioned, you can just direct monitor, which took me a while to get used to after being so used to having 15 ms lol.

128 seems to be the lowest PT will go on my Mac though - Any PT MP 8.0.1 + OSX 10.5.8 + Profire 2626 users out there that can confirm?

I've had voiceover guys complain about the delay @128, but you can just direct monitor in those situations.

128 minimum here too. But I don't know it could go at 64 with a faster machine

128 minimum here too. But I don't know it could go at 64 with a faster machine

yeah I thought it was the 8.0.1 update that brought the option to my PC but it made no difference on the mac.

should I really complain? only a few years ago I was happy with a 512 buffer on my Soundblaster :lol:

I'm still trying to understand Reaper's latency indicator. But I can get 2.3/3.0ms (Reaper says that) at 64 samples, with 16 in and 12 out.

6 ms on the mbox 2
10 ms on the toneport UX2 (lol, I never use this unless running pod farm though)
Surprisingly the firepod is the same as the mbox.

This is at 128 samples (cpu can't keep up with 64 and 32), 44.1k 24 bit.

Pretty piss poor for an intel mac IMO. But it's not like that isn't usable.

I'm still trying to understand Reaper's latency indicator. But I can get 2.3/3.0ms (Reaper says that) at 64 samples, with 16 in and 12 out.

Sorry for the dumb question but where can you see the latency indicator in reaper? I search for it but I dont find.

ReaperLatency.jpg