What's your opinion on the Loudness War?

steeler6

New Metal Member
Jul 16, 2011

I'd like to hear some of your opinions about this ongoing trend which I think is destroying the sound of recent metal albums, and explains why a lot of older albums in the 80's and early 90's sound so good compared to today. I'll be copying some notes of your opinions for a future presentation so I'd like as much opinions as possible please. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true! I do a little recording myself and I've noticed the same thing! I don't think this is a huge part of what's destroying the sound of modern metal, but it's not helping anything!

There is a definite difference. I am a drummer, and I can tell a cheap drum set form a nice one. :rolleyes: The original sounds pretty good, but the newer sound kinda empty. (Oh, and good luck on the presentation!:headbang:)

I haven't seen anything on this before. Very interesting. The first play through definitely sounds more crisp and has more power in the sound.

I disagree...not that I'm an expert or anything, but I like it better when the wave is compressed. Otherwise either the quiet parts become too quiet or the loud parts become too loud. If the wave is compressed so that all the audio is approximately the same volume, I don't have to be constantly adjusting the volume of the song as I listen to it.

JayArby said:
I disagree...not that I'm an expert or anything, but I like it better when the wave is compressed. Otherwise either the quiet parts become too quiet or the loud parts become too loud. If the wave is compressed so that all the audio is approximately the same volume, I don't have to be constantly adjusting the volume of the song as I listen to it.

Not that type of compression. Dynamic range compression. Has more to do with distinguishing the instruments - drums are at this volume here, but fade back to the guitars here......

Tricky to describe, but I think what you described is more along the lines of equalization or normalization. If you have to fiddle with the volume throughout a song, or even am album, it just wasn't mixed very well.

As a side note, this war started approximately the same time bass began to become unnoticed.

If all the sounds are the same volume, the music has no emotion. :bah:

I might at as well go ahead and say it, but I think it is definitely noticeable on the Metallica S.Anger album. At lower levels, no matter what system I play it through, the speakers distort and the music sounds very flat. I think Matt has done a great job with recording. I would rather have certain things stand out like at a concert rather than trying to level everything.

@I_Rock_4_God
Yes, but I like the volume to be APPROXIMATELY the same throughout.

@FleshAndBloodTheocracy
I am referring to dynamic range compression. Just my opinion.

Well, with the original song, I don't think you'd be fiddling with the volume every drum hit so it's consistant.