whats your thoughts on deicide?

zim18

Feb 11, 2006
these guys are the most satanic jesus bashing headbangers ive ever heard! ive downloaded a few of their songs and once upon the cross is totally kicking my ass! do you guys like them? and if you dont atleast give a few legitament reasons as to why.....

also how is their new album? dont remember the name it just has a jesus lookalike on the cover wearing a crown with horns on it or atleast i think

They commanded respect in the early days with albums like their self-titled & Legion but alot has changed in camp Deicide - the Hoffmans are gone and they appeared in decline (to their original fans) since the mid 90's. The last I heard of them was Insineratehymn, it was ok but a far cry from the former glory.

I really like Deicide, curiously. There are some good tracks on Deicide, Legion and Amon: blah blah the blah blah, but the production rather renders them inert. The live album is one of the better death metal live albums ever recorded.

In sharp contrast to pretty much everyone else on earth, I rather enjoyed the latter couple of Roadrunner Deicide albums. "Scars of the Crucifix" was a bit of a return to the style demonstrated on "serpents of the light" and "once upon the cross", which to my ears can only be a good thing.

I find them much less boring than, say, Cannibal Corpse

Can't stand to listen to them.

If I want over-the-top cheesy satanism, I'll go straight to the source and read Dennis Wheatley.

Also, would someone please give them some tone to their guitar sound? Sounds like nothing more than a swarm of buzzing, angry bees being chased by a helicopter.

I like me some Deicide. I'd have to say Legion is my favorite album but the first four are all great imo. Insineratehymn was okay with a few good tracks. In Torment in Hell was pretty weak but the band themselves didn't even care since they were just eager to get it over with and leave Roadrunner. And finally, Scars was a nice comeback album of sorts but could have been better considering how good their early stuff is. The dvd was a nice treat though.

sumairetsu said:
Can't stand to listen to them.

If I want over-the-top cheesy satanism, I'll go straight to the source and read Dennis Wheatley.

Also, would someone please give them some tone to their guitar sound? Sounds like nothing more than a swarm of buzzing, angry bees being chased by a helicopter.
That was a pretty retarded post.

The first two were solid efforts. Legion is good enough to hang with the big boys of death metal. The rest is decent, if not stunning. I'd avoid "In Torment in Hell" like the plague though. Actually, Scars of the Crucifix might have been one of the better death metal releases last year (or '04 was it?) if not for Benton's over-singing at some points.

I liked Legion a long time ago...and tried again here and there, but they just seem one dimensional. The bible bashing gets old really fast, but it's just the music that is stagnate. It's like they are so focused on hating god that they can't create new inventive music.

If you're going to go that route, try Vital Remains - that's a lot more quality.

I always like Messiah. Same god hating theme as Deicide, only more thrash and better songwriting.

Scott

Deicide is pretty much one of the most worthless bands on the planet right now. Right up there with Six Feet Under and Arch Enemy. Legion is a very worthy effort, but compared to all their other stuff it would seem they only had one good album in them.

Agentdark said:
They have their moments

Oh man I love you! You've completely explained whole deicide discography in one sentence.