When life throws you lemons.. How do you guys deal with it?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
You know those times where everything seems to keep piling on top of each other? And instead of working towards moving FORWARD in those aspects of your life, you feel like you're constantly playing fix it and catch up? How do you guys get through those times? I'm struggling pretty bad at the moment. It's not BIG life changing things, but it's everything that is currently making up my life crumbling in one way or another at the moment :(

Great words man, and much appreciated! It's hard to keep a level head sometimes. There's ALWAYS someone else worse off than you. But our own emotions/ tribulations are always by comparison to our own upbringing/ surroundings etc. So yeah, even first world problems can be problems. But yes! Totally appreciate those words man. Quite helpful. I'm doing my best to talk to family members/ friends about shit. I'm usually pretty shit at that, so it's been an effort that's for sure!

Make a fucking lemonade with it, drink it, and when you piss it, say loud "now fuck you, lemons !"

Seriously speaking, I had some tough moments this winter, not terrible, but still made me more and more tired and easier to irritate, I became sick easier etc. It hopefully gets better in the end

From Portal 2 (video game)
"when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get Mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!"

Funny quote, but nonetheless it is true. Just keep your head up and endure! Try to do something new for yourself. Just do not give in, cause it'll get you nowhere.

For me is say grab those lemons by their yellow sour balls.

Seriously though, there is not much you can do than just put in the work and put your life into perspective. Usually I will let me mind wander into the world of astronomy, philosophy, meaning of life etc. and realize all these little problems we have in the grandeur being don't really matter that much.

Ill keep this short but I figure I will just use a personal experience. When I was 16 my house burnt down and my parents abandoned me (well just my mom, my dad was never in the picture) and they also stole my college money (about 30g's left from my grandmothers will). I had to drop out of school and work full time in a metal factory making minimum wage with ex inmates 2nd shift. I had no license, no diploma, no car and no home. For a while I pitied myself and said why me and I felt like I earned a handout. I got to the point where nothing helped so I grabbed those sour little lemon balls and pulled them as hard as I could. I walked an hour to work and an hour back everyday to work, ended up getting an apartment, worked 70 hours a week, saved up for a car, got my GED, got a better job, then another better job etc.

Now I'm 20, in college and I love life. I also realized that no matter how much you think not having these problems will make your life perfect etc. you will be just as upset stubbing your toe as you will watching your house burn down. Currently I'm working 60 hours a week for the summer so I can save up enough to rent out an office space for a year so I have a place to play music and record again.

Thats just my personal experience. Lifes not fair but life is also worthless in the larger aspect of life/lifes to short to be upset/people have it worse than you/people also have it better than you etc. All you can do is realize all the incredible things you have like maybe a gf, family etc. Most importantly is a fully functioning brain and good health, with that you are just as qualified as anyone else to be happy

Good luck dude!

i'm humble, i'm lucky to be in a good situation, home, i can study, healthy, i have a choice.
That's why whenever i have a problem, i don't emphasize it and just deal with it.
You sir have my respects, i've always wondered how i would have done in that kind of situation...

But all in all i just say to myself KBO (keep buggering on ! like one fat old politicean used to say ;) )

For me is say grab those lemons by their yellow sour balls.

Seriously though, there is not much you can do than just put in the work and put your life into perspective. Usually I will let me mind wander into the world of astronomy, philosophy, meaning of life etc. and realize all these little problems we have in the grandeur being don't really matter that much.

Ill keep this short but I figure I will just use a personal experience. When I was 16 my house burnt down and my parents abandoned me (well just my mom, my dad was never in the picture) and they also stole my college money (about 30g's left from my grandmothers will). I had to drop out of school and work full time in a metal factory making minimum wage with ex inmates 2nd shift. I had no license, no diploma, no car and no home. For a while I pitied myself and said why me and I felt like I earned a handout. I got to the point where nothing helped so I grabbed those sour little lemon balls and pulled them as hard as I could. I walked an hour to work and an hour back everyday to work, ended up getting an apartment, worked 70 hours a week, saved up for a car, got my GED, got a better job, then another better job etc.

Now I'm 20, in college and I love life. I also realized that no matter how much you think not having these problems will make your life perfect etc. you will be just as upset stubbing your toe as you will watching your house burn down. Currently I'm working 60 hours a week for the summer so I can save up enough to rent out an office space for a year so I have a place to play music and record again.

Thats just my personal experience. Lifes not fair but life is also worthless in the larger aspect of life/lifes to short to be upset/people have it worse than you/people also have it better than you etc. All you can do is realize all the incredible things you have like maybe a gf, family etc. Most importantly is a fully functioning brain and good health, with that you are just as qualified as anyone else to be happy

Good luck dude!

That's your answer right there.
Just wanted to say your post gave me a lot of hope and strength.

Thanks man.

I know that feel bro.

I+know+that+feel+bro.png

You just have to chug along and remember that every cloud has its silver lining. Mindfulness (excellent book - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wherever-You-There-Are-Mindfulness/dp/1562827693[/ame]) and meditation helps me to cope with my shit. Hanging out with my friends, my kitty-cats, exploring, reading, listening to music and watching stupid TV seems to help too. We are only on this Earth for a short while, we might as well make the most of even the crappy stuff while we are here. When life throws you lemons, you turn around and punch it in the dick, then make lemonade. Good luck ;)

Catch. Cut in half and squeeze into Centenario Rum with Ginger Ale.

That sounds awesome.

At 22 years old I was diagnosed with an extremely rare blood disorder and was told that by age 40 it would have probably run it;s course to it's end stage (i.e. the point where my bone marrow would be so scarred up that it would no longer produce blood cells - you know what that leads to...) or (and imagine this as the "better" alternative) you might be in the extremely small percentage that has is morph into an acute form of leukemia.

Well, as many know, age 36 rolled around and I was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and told my only chance of lasting remission was to undergo a Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT). That "lasting remission" lasted 3 years when I was informed that the Leukemia had returned and once again I was back to square one - if I wanted to even try to survive I would need to attempt a BMT again, this time we would not only ablate my 3 year old "new" immune system with chemotherapy, we would also use TBI Total Body Irradiation to "throw" something different at it. Needless to say it's almost 5 years later, I still battle daily the complications of graft vs. host disease (basically my immune system still trying to protect itself from this foreign invader of someone else's immune system that has engrafted to become my immune system).

Despite all this - I still look forward to each day. For me, the time I've been given with those I love and cherish is worth the effort, worth the difficulties and pain I face daily. I'll be 45 years old in less than a month, since I was diagnosed at 22 I've married a wonderful woman with two children, one that I've raised as my own since he was 8 (he is turning 28 this year - yes my wife is a few years older than I am, not many, but she had children at a young age) and one that was 16 and has since gifted my life with two young children that think of me as their only grandfather (yup, that's right - two very young children call me grandpa and I'm only 44 - life is a trip isn't it).

Given all I've been through it would be very easy to understand if early on I let it get to me, thought of quitting and letting it all end, but when life gave me lemons, I said, fuck that! lets make some lemonade and lets add some vodka!

Life is worth it - at least for me.

An extreme example, perhaps, but even in my case I always think of others that have had it worse than me and think of those experiences I would have never had if I chose not to fight.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

At 22 years old I was diagnosed with an extremely rare blood disorder and was told that by age 40 it would have probably run it;s course to it's end stage (i.e. the point where my bone marrow would be so scarred up that it would no longer produce blood cells - you know what that leads to...) or (and imagine this as the "better" alternative) you might be in the extremely small percentage that has is morph into an acute form of leukemia.

Well, as many know, age 36 rolled around and I was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and told my only chance of lasting remission was to undergo a Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT). That "lasting remission" lasted 3 years when I was informed that the Leukemia had returned and once again I was back to square one - if I wanted to even try to survive I would need to attempt a BMT again, this time we would not only ablate my 3 year old "new" immune system with chemotherapy, we would also use TBI Total Body Irradiation to "throw" something different at it. Needless to say it's almost 5 years later, I still battle daily the complications of graft vs. host disease (basically my immune system still trying to protect itself from this foreign invader of someone else's immune system that has engrafted to become my immune system).

Despite all this - I still look forward to each day. For me, the time I've been given with those I love and cherish is worth the effort, worth the difficulties and pain I face daily. I'll be 45 years old in less than a month, since I was diagnosed at 22 I've married a wonderful woman with two children, one that I've raised as my own since he was 8 (he is turning 28 this year - yes my wife is a few years older than I am, not many, but she had children at a young age) and one that was 16 and has since gifted my life with two young children that think of me as their only grandfather (yup, that's right - two very young children call me grandpa and I'm only 44 - life is a trip isn't it).

Given all I've been through it would be very easy to understand if early on I let it get to me, thought of quitting and letting it all end, but when life gave me lemons, I said, fuck that! lets make some lemonade and lets add some vodka!

Life is worth it - at least for me.

An extreme example, perhaps, but even in my case I always think of others that have had it worse than me and think of those experiences I would have never had if I chose not to fight.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dude.... You're a fucking inspiration and a beacon!

When I hear some people's story, and when I see the chance i have overall in my life (all in all I'm healthy, got friends and living family, the job of my childhood dreams, etc), and considering life is made of balance, I'm always asking myself if tomorrow is not gonna be the beginning of the shitstorm !