Where are the General Festival Reviews? *Post yours here!*

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Want to read how Mattias from Freak Kitchen violated me sexually? Read further to find out...

Most posts I'm reading are about individual bands or specific things about the fest. I figured I'd do a recap of my thoughts for all to read :). Included are opinions on hotels and other accomodations. You won't read much "X BAND ROX!!!" :) in this thread.

I came with Matt (DTJesus) and Dan (Nigel Tufnel) on Thursday and stayed at Best Western at Peachtree (w/ the free shuttle, cocktail hour, breakfast etc.). I gave my Wednesday night ticket to a fellow poster on this board and missed the Jon Oliva experience. I met Shreddy on the plane and hung with him for lunch, beer drinking, and other festivities.

The free cocktail hour at Peachtree was pretty nice. They had cheap hard liquor, soda, and juice. We got a bunch of cups of straight whiskey and ice and stored them in our room. Worked brilliantly! The free shuttle service could have been more accomodating. Cab rides are 12 dollars to venue (4 bucks a person) and the shuttle service was only running on the hour to the venue unless you pressed them on it. I think we used the shuttle once or twice out of three days. The neighborhood is pretty nasty though. Matt and Dan had to walk home Saturday night and felt a bit uncomfortable heading south (seeing the prositutes and pimps on the streets). Walking back from Walgreens to have some pictures developed on Friday at 11am, I walked right through the heart of Atlanta's crack den. At first I thought cigarettes... then thought marijuana as I walked closer, then I saw the plastic tubes. Yes, people in Atlanta smoke crack at 11am outside the homeless shelters. I casually walked by with two bags of food and other pawnable for crack items in my bag. All I got was a "sup dude."... indeed :lol:

Thursday night's music experience, sadly, was not as good as PP VII's. For starters, the sound wasn't nearly as clear for Krucible and Cellador as it was for openers Theocracy and Circus Maximus last year. Vanden Plas's screw up (I'm blaming this on them, feel free to disagree and explain why) was aggrivating. Freak Kitchen was hella cool. My buddy DTJesus was drunkenly singing Freak Kitchen and Pain of Salvation songs during the setup and pissed off some old dude in the front row. Then Matt left the front rail as he totally killed the buzz he had goin with the crowd and took the spot that probably should have gone to me (clearly his good friend behind him). Freak Kitchen played a great set, including the Mattias guitar/vibrator shenanigans. Mattias tossed the batteries for the vibrators into the crowd. One went down the back of my shirt (was one of the only men in a collared button shirit) and into my ass crack. I pulled out a rechargable energizer battery. I never felt so violated before in my life (expect for by Matt Crooks).

On to Friday. There were about 20-30 people at Front Page News. Urban Breed and his lovely wife Shaye were there, as well as all my close Prog Power friends. I did meet the lovely JBrille there; the rest were mostly traditional Front Page News luncheon faces. Many beers later, we head to the show!

Raintime put on an excellent performance (sound mix was much more clear compared to Thursday). Their new studio album was a tad boring for my tastes, but they really nailed things live. Most songs were from the new album, but they didn't play my favorite "Finally Me" that I recall.

Stars: ***

Communic was one of those bands I decided to check vendor tables and socialize during. I did come out for a little while and decided their music needed a little latin flavor w/ the Shakira dance from "My Hips Don't Lie." (yes, I danced Shakira to Communic) Tess and Annie approved... even though they were too chicken shit (read laughinig at me instead of with) to follow my lead.

Stars: **

Virgin Steele was one of my favorite performances (and I'm much more of a prog guy), as I expected it to be. I love their music and stage presense. Justin(Mosquito) and Spacedog were flailing their plastic swords, desperately attemping David Defeis to take one of them on stage. Then David showed those posers who was truly tru and brought out a real sword... on fire! They also had the best bassist of the festival, far and away... he put that dude from Ark at PP II to shame. The sound quality was very muddy (bass drums overpowering everything). Piped in keyboards for a band who's music is written on piano is lame too. Other than that, Michael approves!

Redemption kicked ass as well. The sound mix was much improved over Virgin Steele's and the songs selection was spot on. Nick, THANK YOU for playing Saphire. You rule man! I was rocking out with my good buddy Brett, Raiderblack, for the whole set. No flaming swords or kick ass backdrops though... Virgin Steele had me all wet for more of it. Nick and crew did not deliver! They did deliver the proggiest performance of the evening. This Prog Power had the most 4/4 time signature music (more on this later) out of any to date; thank you Redemption for laying down a different beat for your songs!

Pagan's Mind was my favorite performance of the entire festival. Two things helped. First, the mix was absolutely perfect (just as it was for PP IV). Secondly, the song selection was dead on! Opening with my favorite PP Tune "New World Order" was not expected at all... and they just picked all the right tracks going forward. They were the second most progressive band of the festival. Even, then most of their music is pronounced 4/4 (obviously there are the parts that aren't) and perfect for dancing. So I danced with all the girls (men weren't into dancing with me as much for some gay reason) on the floor to a lot of their set. Usually I hate dancing at clubs because the music sucks. I took my one chance to dance to some killer music and ran with it. Try playing some Pagan's Mind, very dancable tunes. There was a lot of movement on the left side of the floor for that reason.

Stars: ****

Sonata Arctica had great song and a great set -- an exact repeat of the performance any of us got seeing them on tour before the show (probably something Glenn is afraid of when he books). Still, the performance was incredible.

Stars:****

I'll add my Saturday thoughts to this thread tomorrow. Feel free to post your thoughts on the entire experience in here. :)

Whorebottely Yours,
The Michael

Communic was one of those bands I decided to check vendor tables and socialize during. I did come out for a little while and decided their music needed a little latin flavor w/ the Shakira dance from "My Hips Don't Lie." (yes, I danced Shakira to Communic) Tess and Annie approved... even though they were too chicken shit (read laughinig at me instead of with) to follow my lead.

Stars: **
Whorebottely Yours,
The Michael
Great recap! We were NOT laughing at you. We love your Shakira dance. You are just SUCH a sexy bitch that we knew we could not compete so why even try? Not to mention I'm pretty sure you had about 72 more beers than each of us so we weren't quite ready to prove that our "hips don't lie" yet ;)

I love that the FK battery went down your shirt and pants. Now THAT is amazing!

There is just waaaayyyy too much good stuff to even think I can capture half of it, but some major highlights of the weekend for me (in no particular order):

Autographing several lovely breasts at the Granada Saturday night/Sunday morning. Christina's neener neener neener dance that she was the first to receive said autograph and whoever she was talking to did not get one.

Dancing to Freak Kitchen with Paula and Shaye Thursday night.

The entire ASJ! Totally dancing and singing our heads off was sooooooo much fun!!!!

Freakchylde panty check.

Kissing Paula Thursday night.

Kissing Colleen all weekend.

Linda panty check.

Finally figuring out the whole pacing thing and not only lasting through all the bands all 3 days, but into the after parties.

SharkBlack's beer rocket in the Granada hall party Friday night.

The hilarious search for a party Friday night.

The equally hilarious goose chase through the Granada Saturday night with Ralf in tow.

Zod's commentary on Paula ruining the mood when she opened the door to our room after Zod "had 3 hot women to himself in a hotel room".

Chilling out in the lobby area with all our friends at the end of Thursday night's Freak Kitchen set, that was a blast!

Meeting J-Man's daughter. She was so sweet!

The entire "bad vagina" conversation with Johnny Mac Sunday morning.

The hilarious conversation with Latency on the way to the RI Sunday morning.

Yippee trying to get me back to the hotel Sunday morning, telling me it was after 6:15am and we had to go and me repeatedly telling him I didn't want it to end.

Harumi telling Bryant that he couldn't sleep in our room for 2 hours because he "should suffer". Bryant told her he wasn't even that drunk the night before, and she replied, "yes, but you've been drinking for 2 days now and you are not a young man." I about fell over!

Paula and Christina chasing Ralf down the hall of the Granada yelling we need you for 2 minutes.

Sharkblack, on his way to the washroom when I ran into Colleen for the first time of the weekend who didn't want to continue onto the washroom for fear he'd miss "the money shot".

The Granada porch party!

Friday night Kim was drinking water.
Zod: I hate sober women. Paula says my move is "Can I buy you another drink?" Why work harder than you have to?

So many people asking Yip about our flight down. That was COOL.

Seeing JDubya balancing about 12 tequila shots and trying to convince him to keep them for himself.

I know there are a billion more amazing times to recount and I can never remember them all and there is NEVER enough time. You're always missing something the whole weekend, missing some great music, or once in a lifetime stage moments, or missing time to visit with your friends.

They also had the best bassist of the festival, far and away... he put that dude from Ark at PP II to shame. The sound quality was very muddy (bass drums overpowering everything). Piped in keyboards for a band who's music is written on piano is lame too. Other than that, Michael approves!

Umm...are you sure you were at PP USA? Because...there was no bass player for VS either. You did nail it on the recorded keys...lame as hell...along with the click tracked bass. :Smug:

Umm...are you sure you were at PP USA? Because...there was no bass player for VS either. You did nail it on the recorded keys...lame as hell...along with the click tracked bass. :Smug:

Wow, I often forget how poor sarcasm and dry comedy work in written form on discussion boards. I should use more emoticons next time :lol:

I was quite aware Virgin Steele had piped in bass. In fact, one of the running jokes this weekend was doing something silly when someone wasn't looking and blaming it on Virgin Steele's bassist :lol:

My buddy DTJesus was drunkenly singing Freak Kitchen and Pain of Salvation songs during the setup and pissed off some old dude in the front row. Then Matt left the front rail as he totally killed the buzz he had goin with the crowd and took the spot that probably should have gone to me (clearly his good friend behind him).

Actually, your buddy pissed off more than some old dude. I count 4-5 people that were not amused by his antics. I was one of them. Maybe I was that "old" dude? What you fail to mention here was both of you attempting to secure the last 6" of room up front. Is it REALLY going to give you that much better of a view to try to weasel around and piss off a couple of your fellow fest goers who stood up front for the whole showcase too(minus a couple of bladder runs)? I'm a reasonable guy, but I have no tolerance for that kind of stuff. Good thing he left, things were bordering on getting ugly. Some people need to learn how to handle their alcohol a little bit better. I'd be more than happy to discuss this further off forum. I'm easy enough to find.

and speaking of alcohol and other things....

Meeting J-Man's daughter. She was so sweet!

Seeing JDubya balancing about 12 tequila shots and trying to convince him to keep them for himself.

Definately meeting J-Man's daughter! I hope she had a good time, and enjoyed the FK set!

As for the shots, you guys just wanted me to wake up nekkid in the Granada fountain! :lol:

Definately meeting J-Man's daughter! I hope she had a good time, and enjoyed the FK set!

You should have seen her!!!!!! OMG she was rocking the place, she fell in love with FREAK KITCHEN, and it all started at the airport, and the show just confirmed her thoughts. Also she loved meeting all my friends I talk so much about , and thanks to all of you for making her feel like one of the group. And JDubya, she also said " No wonder you like him so much, he is old like you, but he is so super nice" I just had to laugh.

You should have seen her!!!!!! OMG she was rocking the place, she fell in love with FREAK KITCHEN, and it all started at the airport, and the show just confirmed her thoughts. Also she loved meeting all my friends I talk so much about , and thanks to all of you for making her feel like one of the group. And JDubya, she also said " No wonder you like him so much, he is old like you, but he is so super nice" I just had to laugh.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's great! Glad she had a good time, and has been converted to the Freak Kitchen side! 'Twas a pleasure to see you and the next generation at PP! :) See you next year, or maybe sooner!

Mine is slowly going up on the tour blog (linkage below), as of this posting I have Wednesday and part of Thursday. I've got the raw video downloaded, but not uploaded to the server, much less have anything edited. The plan, is to take a computer day and do nothing but video editing, blogging and code updates/fixes on my website. I'm shooting early November to do that, but please, don't hold your breath, I'd hate for anyone to pass out waiting on me. :D

LOL! SO, I figured it out before it happened. IF it happened, NOBODY would be bitching about the whole painted stripper thing, there'd be SO much worse to complain about! Especially if made bubbles! :lol: