Where did the 7 go?

7 Dying Trees

Bastard Albino Elf
Apr 18, 2002
The woodland fern
www.nemecyst.net
ANyone here know why exactly peter Tagtren stopped using 7strings and reverted to gibsons? Does anyone know if he still uses them for recording? I don't really get it as the scale length is shorter which shurely makes them less suited to detuning as far as they do, but then again, maybe it's the sound and the thinner neck he's after...

Any ideas, clues, facts?

(oh, and I do remember being a post like this, but as the back catalogue of pages has been culled....)

Not really sure why or when he switched, but I was very surprised to see him come on-stage with a Les Paul when I saw them a few months ago!

What kind of 7string did he use, anyhow? His tone always sounded like an Ibanez or maybe a Jackson to me... they should have a Peter Tagtgren signature series, fuck those guys in Korn!!! :)

Peter either used Ibanez or Ibanez styled 7-strings. Les Pauls have way fatter necks. As for scale lenghth, nobody but Schector makes a guitar that has a longer than standard 24 inch guitar neck. Peter just tunes his Les Paul like a 7 string and excludes the high "E". If you watch the Destroys Wacken video, you'll see most the the higher and mid range stuff Peter plays on his guitar, he just hikes higher up the neck on lower strings. Proably for tone or tension purposes. I guess he was used to it. If you watch the Destroys Wacken video, You will notice that it fucking RULES!!!
I thought more people would trip out that the guitars and bass all went direct only and the cabs on stage weren't on.

Heavy, Heavy, Heavy Reagards

ArtisanBass

OK, just got back from wacken and....

...He still uses it, except strangely enough (and now I do find this weird) he used a baritone (27" scale) for the first half of the set, then switched to the les paul for the newer stuff and the last half.

Now this would make sense apart from the newer stuff being tuned lower thus making a longer scale length guitar a better choice (stop floppy strings), as well as the les paul being a shorter scale guitar by a lot. This does make a difference to playing etc, so....

Then again, maybe he just prefers it that way. Still nice to see he hasn't totally abondoned them though :)

Still a bit confused as to the reasoning now.