Where does Metal go now...

Reign in Acai said:
Does it really have to go anywhere? Just keep on churning out more headbanging and hellthrashing tunes, thats all I ask for.
It doesn't have to, I'm just curious what avenues are even open. For most of its history, Metal always had the opporunity to grow more brutal. However, it doesn't seem that's a viable path any longer. Between Death, Black and Grind, I think the boundaries have been pushed to the breaking point.

Demonspell said:
I doubt that we'll see something created out of nothing that will amaze everyone and spawn a thousand imitators and metal doesn't need something radically different to happen to ensure its survival, at this point nothing can be 100% original, but I don't think it's too late to avoid complete stagnation and there are enough forward thinking bands left to provide inspiration for the future...
Hopefully, you're right.

Zod

KILL TULLY said:
All I see in this thread is 'blah blah blah'. How can I be the only one?
And that would distinguish this thread from all the other threads on this board... how? I do recognize that discussing Metal on a Metal board seems trite. And I recognize, a thread about music steals precious bandwidth from intense discussions on the following threads:

What will women look like 10 years from now?!?
Bad Chinese Food
Holy shit terrorists totally hacked my UM webspace page
Nudie Mags

My apologies.

Zod

General Zod said:
And that would distinguish this thread from all the other threads on this board... how? I do recognize that discussing Metal on a Metal board seems trite. And I recognize, a thread about music steals precious bandwidth from intense discussions on the following threads:

Bad Chinese Food
Nudie Mags

My apologies.

Zod

Well said

Metal will still progress on its own, I can't believe that will stop. As for what that progression is, I don't know; Just watch the movement.

General Zod said:
Between Death, Black and Grind, I think the boundaries have been pushed to the breaking point.

Uh, doom? I know Erik pointed it out about 2-3 years, but his points still remain true.

I'm convinced a new wave of black metal is on the horizon, which is not "black metal" per-se, and which disregards preconceptions and idealogical boundries. I can't be too sure of anything right now though.

Décadent said:
I'm convinced a new wave of black metal is on the horizon, which is not "black metal" per-se, and which disregards preconceptions and idealogical boundries. I can't be too sure of anything right now though.

I agree. I think you can already start to see it in a good bit of French and US BM but it's slow going (as any evolution is) especially with so many cynics and purists out there.

And I can't much understand those that say metal has hit a dead end just because they personally can't see where it might go or aren't seeing any sudden and drastic changes.

I think bands like Wolves in the Throne Room are a good example of what the future could hold. Not really speaking in musical stylings, but attempting a style of music from a different musical background. That has quite a lot of potential.

Décadent said:
I think bands like Wolves in the Throne Room are a good example of what the future could hold. Not really speaking in musical stylings, but attempting a style of music from a different musical background. That has quite a lot of potential.
I dig WitTR. However, (keeping in mind I'm hardly a Black Metal aficianado) are they really doing anythign groundbreaking? <--- I'm not suggesting they're not, just curious to hear what others, who are more familair with this genre, think.

Zod

General Zod said:

Bad Chinese Food
Nudie Mags

My apologies.

Zod

isnt this the fucking truth.

Wtf is everyone talking about? There is plenty of music discussion going on, if you don't want to partake in the nonsensical threads, IGNORE THEM! Pretty simple if ye want to ask me.

Well, we've seen atonality and dissonance but one avenue hasn't yet been explored: NON-LINEAR RHYTHM

Since metal is rhythm-based, this would be a major innovation: doing away with "rhythm". I'm not talking Meshuggah here, i'm talking diving away from the conventional (classical) concepts of rhythm where each bar doesn't have to be say, 4 beats or there's no stable "time" in the song at all. A few modern classical composers and some new age stuff like Klaus Schulz have experimented with stuff like this. Actually i'm not really sure how it would materialize but either way, it's gotta be fucking cool.

Reactions: NAD