Where does Metal go now...

I would like to hear how "Wolves in the Throne Room" are doing anything new, myself. I tried listening to them, and, well... booooring!

I am always the purist, though...

No no, I'm not suggesting that Wolves are doing anything unique. But I see it as an avenue of potential innovation; being musicians from outside scenes writing metal music. They carry with them different aesthetic leanings that strict metal fans may not traditionally enjoy or even be familiar with, as well as holding different values.

Diadem of 12 Stars is a good release, but it's certainly not mindblowing or genre-defining. But I'd say they're on to a good thing. I'm hearing the same out of UK band "Niroth".

Hmm I have never read up on this band, so I am ignorant to their backgrounds. From seeing the core three-piece play live, the guitarist and vocalist look like normal run-of-the-mill metal blokes, aka - (Hobos you would see in an alley in La Puente.) Though the drummer looks like some indy kid you would see protesting the war at a busy intersection. Yes, looks can be deceiving.

Décadent said:
They carry with them different aesthetic leanings that strict metal fans may not traditionally enjoy or even be familiar with, as well as holding different values.

The same can be said for the multitude of metal musicians who eventually abandon the scene and write music in other genres.

hibernal_dream said:
Since metal is rhythm-based, this would be a major innovation: doing away with "rhythm". I'm not talking Meshuggah here, i'm talking diving away from the conventional (classical) concepts of rhythm where each bar doesn't have to be say, 4 beats or there's no stable "time" in the song at all. A few modern classical composers and some new age stuff like Klaus Schulz have experimented with stuff like this. Actually i'm not really sure how it would materialize but either way, it's gotta be fucking cool.

I haven't heard it but based on description alone, the new SCALD (ire) release may align with this description. Likewise, it's not like KHANATE follows any traditional pattern.

Essentially, perhaps what you're talking about is noise manipulation, and there is one guy here who actually likes this cosmic resonance. His name is Nate the Great, the one and only.

So explain what all the hub-ub about wanting Metal to be so unique? Don't you listen to metal to listen to metal? There is plenty of other music in the world. Arn't you all the same people that bitch and moan about genres? Sheesh. Some people...straight to the moon...

JayKeeley said:
Essentially, perhaps what you're talking about is noise manipulation, and there is one guy here who actually likes this cosmic resonance. His name is Nate the Great, the one and only.

:kickass:

KILL TULLY said:
So explain what all the hub-ub about wanting Metal to be so unique? Don't you listen to metal to listen to metal? There is plenty of other music in the world. Arn't you all the same people that bitch and moan about genres? Sheesh. Some people...straight to the moon...

What will happen Tully with your tattoos when you cut your hair and start listening to Eric Clapton or Miles Davis. :loco:

General Zod said:
Has it reached the end of the road?
Nope.

blah blah blah ISIS blah blah blah Neurosis blah blah blah Meshuggah blah blah blah "those aren't metal!" blah blah blah fuck off.

I see Ephel Duath mentionned in this thread. NAD are you familiar with 'The Painter's Palette' ? It might be your type and its quite innovative tbh.

JayKeeley said:
What will happen Tully with your tattoos when you cut your hair and start listening to Eric Clapton or Miles Davis. :loco:

I already listen to Miles Davis, see, because when I want to listen to Jazz I listen to fucking Jazz, I don't listen to Metal and bitch about how it doesn't sound like Jazz.

Dev said:
I see Ephel Duath mentionned in this thread. NAD are you familiar with 'The Painter's Palette' ? It might be your type and its quite innovative tbh.

there is no way in hell Nad would like ED ... I think he tried listening to them some time ago.

ok, fanboy time ... but really the new NB has broken some weird ground in the whatever genre it now belongs to ... it really sounds unique

Dev said:
Yep. It's poop. :) haha, see lurch knows. :lol:

I own that album and it was one of those things that right as it seemed I was on the verge of "getting" it, I permanently shelved it because it was driving me up the wall to even bother with. Same thing happened with Nokturnal MortEm - Goat Horns, which I quickly sold (but I do quite enjoy The Taste of Victory).

The Painter's Pallette might be worth a revisit someday, which is why I never sold it.

KILL TULLY said:
So explain what all the hub-ub about wanting Metal to be so unique?
It's not that it needs to become more unique. My question was simply this; for the past 30 to 40 years, there has always been room for Metal to push the boundaries of what's considered "extreme". However, it would now seem, this road has come to an end both sonically and aesthetically.

Zod

There are plenty of sonically and aesthetically extreme bands/genres like Cyber-grind, Noise, all those fucking art school bands like Doughters, Lightning Bolt, etc. etc. blah blah. Why do you want Metal to become more extreme and what is an example of the room to move you speak of?