Where has your musical journey taken you (PLEASE RESPOND)?

All horribly true.

1983-1988: Had a strange love of Celebration by Kool and the Gang.

1988: started listning to the Parents old records I was 9--Loved Neal Diamonds greatest hits, Saturday Night Fever, The Beatles, and Simon and Garfunkel.

1990-1993 or 94 who can remember? Liked Mc Hammer, Tone Loc, and even listened to 2 live Crew although I had no idea what the hell they were talking about other than my parents didnt like it.

1994-1995 Didnt even listen to music other than classical and hell I think even Yanni. Strange isnt it? Oh, liked Oasis, Soundgarden, Nirvana etc

1996 Heard Megadeth and Metallica. Liked them both, especially Peace Sells and ...And Justice.

1997 bought a copy of Reign in Blood, only becuase I had heard they were the heaviest most satanic band in creation--and the sticker on the album said greatest thrash metal recording ever. Well thats pretty much the rest of it in terms of metal.

Oh 2000: I did play drums, but anyway, guitarist and singer were power prog fans, so for about a two month period, I listened to Dream Theater, Primal Fear, Angra etc.

2001 - Isis oceanic and the subsequesnt immersion into core, doom, and stoner.

2001: First remote interest in music after getting into Creed, they became my favorite band and their first two albums were all I listened too.
Mid 2002: Discover Nirvana, buy most everything by them. Start to take a greater interest in music, listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.
Autumn/Winter 2002: Start to get into heavier bands, briefly listen to Mudvayne, Disturbed etc.
April 2003: I fall in love with Metal when I discover Opeth. Watching the all-audio metal channel and this song called "Deliverance" comes on. I flip the channel, didn't know it, continue watching someting else. Flip back later on, it's still on. Do this for what seems like 15 minutes and decide this is something I have to look into. Go to amazon, listen to the sound samples, immediately "Master's Apprentices" floors me with the bad ass groove and coolest vocals I've ever heard. I buy Deliverance, Damnation and Blackwater Park. I consider Deliverance my first "true" metal album and this purchase the one that forever hooked me on this form of music, though I had heard a couple bands like Slayer beforehand. The purchase was made on May 4, 2003 (yes, I save receipts) after hearing the music at the end of April.
Autumn/Winter 2003: Discover Dimmu Borgir, Kataklysm, begin to explore Death and Black Metal. Towards the end of the year I make a massive Death Metal haul with all of the more well-known bands and a fascination begins. Join UM in October 2003, begin to post regularly in December or so. The forum here begins to provide me with a HUGE amount of bands to check out. For Christmas this year, I receive Vintersorg, Borknagar, Moonspell, Immortal etc. and still consider this one of the most vital hauls ever. Begin to get into folk metal and dive into more underground bands.
2004:Best year evAr and my first full year in Metal. I continue to explore Death Metal which becomes one of my favorite forms of music, also get into the emotional/folk stuff like Agalloch. Delve into underground black metal bands and more and more underground bands in general. I keep up with all of the new releases for the year, while exploring a lot of back catalogues. Hectic year, I probably purchased a couple hundred albums. Began reviewing for UM at the very end of the year.
2005: Going back to the roots. I'm still obsessed with exploring the underground, but I feel like I need to go back and pick up all the great music I missed, the essentials of metal. Exploring more thrash and aiming to buy tons of 80s stuff. Also going to look into some of the traditional stuff like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc. When I got into black metal, I skipped the majority of the "legendary" stuff, so now I am filling in the gaps and getting some Enslaved, Burzum, Bathory and adding onto Emperor and Immortal, etc. Looking forward to this being my best year in music and maybe metal's best year if all of the great new releases I'm expecting continue to flow. Exploring more music than ever and more varied music than ever on my own and with the help of UM. Look towards expanding my tastes, etc.

Key time period: April 2003. I consider this my true entrance into the metal scene and music in general.

I will try this myself.

early 80's - listened to oldies thanks to my parents.
1986 - 88- first discovered metallica, anthrax, megadeth, motley crue, and some others. my love for metal was born at the tender age of 12. Was also into guns n roses pretty big time.
1989 - Major year for my musical tastes. Was majorly into anthrax, exodus, well, any of the major thrash bands. Best year hands down, for old school thrash metal. Also discovered Death from my cousin, and that really changed me.
through 1993 - continued to broaden my tastes, and really got into bands like Primus, Morbid Angel, Trouble and some more death metal started seeping through. also had my first band, and we covered everything from metallica, the misfits, the monkees, napalm death and anthrax.
1996 - started maninstream resistance, and all this music started pouring in, literally. I discovered so many new bands doing the zine it is really unbelieveable. Anathema, amorphis, paradise lost. also started getting interestred in some black metal.
96-2001 - as i continued to do msr, a barrage of music was thrown at me, and some I still continue to listen to.
2003 - 2004 - I was always a little into prog metal, but this is the year where I really started to enjoy it more and more. ayreon, threshold, etc. started to never leave my cd player.
2005- a few good bands I have gotten into thus far that I had never heard before. Isis, How Like A Winter. Gonna be a good year for metal, methinks.

1966: Nursery rhymes.
1968 – 1970: Haven’t a clue.
1972: Vol. 4.
1976: Sad Wings of Destiny.
1980: Iron Maiden.
1984: Show No Mercy.
1988: Reek of Putrefaction.
1989 - 1991: Whatever was available.
1992 - 1994: Hospital/Elevator music.
1995 – 2000: No idea.
Present: Same as ever.

So on and so forth.

A look at my musical exploration through the ages in choice cuts

1984 - Rocking out in the basement, pretending we were Kiss or Twisted Sister
1986 - Europe - The final countown
1990 - Iron Maiden, the first band I started buying albums of
1991 - Metallica
1992 - Megadeth, Helloween, Slayer, Black Sabbath
1993 - Anthrax, Paradise Lost, Candlemass, Judas Priest, Entombed
1994 - Testament, Machine head
1995 - Gamma Ray
1996 - Blind Guardian
1997 - In Flames, HammerFall
1999 - Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth
2000 - At the Gates
2001 - Dimmu Borgir, Dissection, Immortal, Opeth, Agalloch
2002 - Katatonia, Hypocrisy
2003 - Black Metal in general
2004 - Watain, Deathspell Omega, Drudkh

Born in 1982
1985-1992 Listened to the stuff my mom and dad did
Mom=country,Joe Cocker, Dave Mason
Dad=James Taylor, The Who, Eric Clapton, Zepplin
1993-1995 Metallica
96-97 Judas Priest,Megadeth,Helloween
98 Inflames, Hammerfall, Iced Earth, At The Gates,Soilwork, Overkill
99-2001 Gwar , Cradle Of FIlth, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce , Sinergy,Manowar
2002 to 2006 Hypocrisy, Kataklysm,Mayhem, Gorgoroth,Immortal,Dungeon,Strapping Young Lad , Edguy, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide,Annihilator, Testament, Dimension Zero, Grotesque

Lots of other bands in between.

born 1990

for like the first 10 years I didn't like music because my sister did and I thought it was a "poser" thing to do:lol:

10-12: various stuff my sister got me into (ironic huh?:p) AFI, Bad Religion, Misfits, KMFDM, Kill Hannah etc got threatened not to listen to Rap, nu Metal, or emo:lol:

13-14: Metal stuff like Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer. Kindof close minded for a while until I read about black and death metal in grade 8 and decided to try and undestand it.

14-15 I've gotten into a lot of black and death(not so much death anymore), and electronica and a bunch of fag post-rock,electronica type musik:zombie:

teehee lol

Born: 1986
1990-1996 : Classic Rock, mainly because of my dad
1997: Started exploring new rock, usually the weird singles like How Bizarre.
1999: found nu-metal, and I was interested
2000: Found Slipknot, thought they were great
2001: Grew tired of most bands I had ever heard of, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead.
2002: Found Opeth, At The Gates, In Flames, Arch Enemy
2003: Emperor, Darkthrone, a lot of Black Metal, although I listed for the wrong reasons. Also a lot of Grind
2004: Anything that said Technical Death Metal/grind
2005: Still loving Technical bands, but started to find Old School death metal
2006: Old School Death metal, with Black metal, finally realizing how great it can be, and finally found respect for Heavy Metal/Trad Doom

1986 - 19somthing mostly punk rawkin' ya fuck society!

Then saw some video on newgrounds.com for 'The Bards Song - in the forest' by BG, and from then on it was a Heavy Metal Hurricane.

Found RC only because of SNUS, by the way, not because of Metal. Fun fact.

pre-1996 - Whatever my parents listened to: Pearl Jam, Hootie and the Blowfish, Neil Young and associated bands, Cream, Led Zeppelin, very little Black Sabbath/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden

1997 - omfg Metallica

late 1998 - omfg Metallica, Megadeth and Ozzy

1999-2002 - Gradually found bands like Iced Earth, Black Label Society, Slayer, Testament, Metal Church, maybe a few others.

2002 - INTAR WEB: Black/Death/Thrash/Doom/Power/Speed/Whatever. Minor obsession with Black Metal and Norse mythology.

2003 - Thrash.

2004 - 2005 - Refinement and further exploration, finding quality underground labels, etc.

2006 to present - Broadening horizons within the realm of Metal.

1986 - born, tiny metal-horned fists first
1995ish - buy my first album, toad the wet sprocket, to complement incurable beatles obsession
1996-7ish - nevermind is the first "heavy" album i hear and i listen to "smells like teen spirit" all the time, also like stuff like bush, oasis, and pearl jam
1998-2000 - discover metallica, smashing pumpkins, alice in chains, red hot chili peppers, rage against the machine, hendrix, zeppelin, ac/dc and others in addition to crappy nu metal; limp bizkit, deftones, and korn...also inexplicable year-long side interest in some really bad rap
1999 - start playing guitar and learn every metallica song possible
2001-2002 - discover rush, iron maiden, tool, slayer --->good sign, starting to develop some kind of rudimentary *taste* :p
2003 - start getting into funderground stuff (everybodys gotta start somewhere) like opeth, shadows fall, arch enemy, in flames, children of bodom, lamb of god
2004 - start getting into carcass, agalloch, meshuggah, others
fall 2004 - enter college, start listening to black metal, it's all downhill from there

1997 - bruce dickinson "accident of birth" first heavy metal album, then powerslave
1999/2000 - tiamat, entombed, dark tranquillity, amorphis, in flames, emperor, etc.
then

other shit

ive listened to black and death metal pretty much since 1999 i just discovered slightly more esoteric bands with time

i guess somewhere in there like 2002-2003 i started listening to a fuckload of doom metal and then i also started liking neofolk a bit