Where has your musical journey taken you (PLEASE RESPOND)?

2002: I was 14. I was obsessed with Blink 182 and Sum 41. I wanted more bands like them, so I searched around the internet and found some more underground pop punk bands. Eventually started listening to heavier punk, then hardcore, and eventually metal, by the powerful sway of some elitists that posted on the same anime forum as myself. By the time I was 15, I was full-on metal. I don't really know my year-by-year progression through metal, but I know I started out a huge fan of flower power and melodic death metal.

When I was a young lad I always thought, why aren't there any musicians singing about dragons, castles, and death? All you ever hear is "down by the boardwalk, down by the sea". Years after I conceived the notion of this subject matter I came across it on the intarweb, the rest is history.

Timeline roughly
Age Progression
0-5 Silence
5-7 Madonna- Like A Virgin, and the story of the Gingerbread Man on Vinyl
7-13 Classic Rock, Fleetwood Mac, Guns N Roses, The Doors
14-16 GreenDay's Dookie, NOFX, Bush's Sixteen Stone, Live
17 Postpubescentpartum
18-20 The Metallica Years
21-25 Modern Era of Metalothic proportions

1984: Born.
1987-1989: Roland Rat - 'Rat Rappin'' on vinyl. On repeat. All the time. My parents regretted buying me that one.
1990-1992: Found dad's Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath vinyls. A teacher in my primary school (Mrs Crunden) gives me a particularly odd look when I name 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' as my favourite record. Yep, I rocked at age eight.
1993-1995: Found out the local library had a music section. Grabbed discs by Faith No More and Metallica. Rocked out.
1996-1998: A friend at school introduces me to Nirvana, the Foo Fighters, stuff like that.
1999-2000: A new group of friends introduce me to Korn, Soundgarden, and lots of nu-metal and pop-punk bands.
2001-present: I discover that the internet is a great way of finding new music, and spend hours downloading tracks by every band named in the pages of the Terrorizer magazine I bought that month. Really, really got into extreme metal from there.

1990-1992: Found dad's Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath vinyls. A teacher in my primary school (Mrs Crunden) gives me a particularly odd look when I name 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' as my favourite record. Yep, I rocked at age eight.
^
|
should have stopped while you were ahead
|
V
1996-1998: A friend at school introduces me to Nirvana, the Foo Fighters, stuff like that.
1999-2000: A new group of friends introduce me to Korn, Soundgarden, and lots of nu-metal and pop-punk bands.

Erik said:
^
|
should have stopped while you were ahead
|
V

LOL - I don't listen to much of that sort of stuff now. I was really naive about music for ages, I didn't really know where to go looking for new stuff or anything, so I just depended on people around me going 'Here, listen to this', and noone I know is a particularly big metalhead.

2001: First remote interest in music after getting into Creed, they became my favorite band and their first two albums were all I listened too.
Mid 2002: Discover Nirvana, buy most everything by them. Start to take a greater interest in music, listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.
Autumn/Winter 2002: Start to get into heavier bands, briefly listen to Mudvayne, Disturbed etc.
April 2003: I fall in love with Metal when I discover Opeth. Watching the all-audio metal channel and this song called "Deliverance" comes on. I flip the channel, didn't know it, continue watching someting else. Flip back later on, it's still on. Do this for what seems like 15 minutes and decide this is something I have to look into. Go to amazon, listen to the sound samples, immediately "Master's Apprentices" floors me with the bad ass groove and coolest vocals I've ever heard. I buy Deliverance, Damnation and Blackwater Park. I consider Deliverance my first "true" metal album and this purchase the one that forever hooked me on this form of music, though I had heard a couple bands like Slayer beforehand. The purchase was made on May 4, 2003 (yes, I save receipts) after hearing the music at the end of April.
Autumn/Winter 2003: Discover Dimmu Borgir, Kataklysm, begin to explore Death and Black Metal. Towards the end of the year I make a massive Death Metal haul with all of the more well-known bands and a fascination begins. Join UM in October 2003, begin to post regularly in December or so. The forum here begins to provide me with a HUGE amount of bands to check out. For Christmas this year, I receive Vintersorg, Borknagar, Moonspell, Immortal etc. and still consider this one of the most vital hauls ever. Begin to get into folk metal and dive into more underground bands.
2004:Best year evAr and my first full year in Metal. I continue to explore Death Metal which becomes one of my favorite forms of music, also get into the emotional/folk stuff like Agalloch. Delve into underground black metal bands and more and more underground bands in general. I keep up with all of the new releases for the year, while exploring a lot of back catalogues. Hectic year, I probably purchased a couple hundred albums. Began reviewing for UM at the very end of the year.
2005: Going back to the roots. I'm still obsessed with exploring the underground, but I feel like I need to go back and pick up all the great music I missed, the essentials of metal. Exploring more thrash and aiming to buy tons of 80s stuff. Also going to look into some of the traditional stuff like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc. When I got into black metal, I skipped the majority of the "legendary" stuff, so now I am filling in the gaps and getting some Enslaved, Burzum, Bathory and adding onto Emperor and Immortal, etc. Looking forward to this being my best year in music and maybe metal's best year if all of the great new releases I'm expecting continue to flow. Exploring more music than ever and more varied music than ever on my own and with the help of UM. Look towards expanding my tastes, etc.

Key time period: April 2003. I consider this my true entrance into the metal scene and music in general.

I'm glad I'm such a detailed poster :p

2008 - Existential crisis - get rid of most CDs
2009 - 2017 - Music less of a primary interest. Listen to some holdout Metal bands, country, R&B, and some oldies/crooner stuff.
2018 - Discover Saint, Bride, Ultimatum, and eventually Antestor, Crimson Moonlight, Vaakevandring, etc. and get obsessed with Metal again.
2019-2020 - Delve deeply in Christian Metal underground and build collection.
2021 - Continue to stay current on Christian Metal and go back to explore old secular favorites and sort through what I want to add to that collection.

From the ages of 15-25 - massive evolution of my musical tastes, constantly discovering new stuff, exciting times.
Since then - complete standstill.