Where is Rikard Zander?

Markoth

Sep 20, 2003
Hellsinki, Finland
Of course he hasn't disappeared completely but I think that there are far too few keyboards on Torn. And when keyboards are there, they are almost buried in the mix somewhere behind the wall of guitars. Otherwise it's a great album.

All this, of course, in my humble opinion :)

Of course he hasn't disappeared completely but I think that there are far too few keyboards on Torn. And when keyboards are there, they are almost buried in the mix somewhere behind the wall of guitars. Otherwise it's a great album.

All this, of course, in my humble opinion :)

You're getting confused with MMA right? :p

Uhm...same opinion as Markoth. But i've lately listened to TORN with attention and i've discovered that the keybs are present in all the songs. Maybe keybs are too low in this album and the sounds is a little bit different from the others (less synth, more piano). Final opinion: Rick is alive, but sometimes we want him alive&loud!!! :headbang:

Yes, keyboards are there but you have to listen TOO carefully to really hear them. Many times I think "there's some great keyboard work happening there, wish I just could hear it more clearly".

Or maybe it's just my old an' worn ears...

And bring back synth solos!

I agree, I dislike the mood synth stuff instead of keyboard parts that are written around the music of the song. Having piano doing something over a really heavy guitar riff is usually a killer combination! Albums like In Search of Truth and The Inner Circle are great because of this perfect mix of keys and guitars. Evergrey, bring back the keys!!!

There is a fantastic Synth Solo in " I still walk Alone" That one you must be able to hear : )

Yes Tom, it is great, but we want more of them, maybe even harmonized guitar/synth parts and the keys overall having a greater role in the overall songs. More progressive parts like in These Scars. Not to mention more Carina too! She did a fantastic job on that song.

You're getting confused with MMA right? :p

Yes the keyboards are definately a step up from MMA. The heavy dismissal of the key role was actually one of my biggest dislikes of MMA as well.

However, I agree that I would like the keyboard tracks turned up a bit and even hear more proggy/synth influences in them. Even so, I am really enjoying Torn because I have slowly learned that you cannot have everything you want....the only way for every individual to have music sound exactly as they invision is for them to all form their own bands and make music that way.

Oh, and everything else about the music besides the keys is a HUGE step up from MMA imo....so that is what really seals the deal for me.

I think symphonyx said the best words ever written here.
if we would everything that you guys say each and every time
then the music would be coming from you, not us and then it would not be evergrey. It would be a compromise of a million wills,a way music is not supposed to be written. Also its not like we forgotten the keys, hell I even wrote half of them, they are exactly where WE want them to be.
Adding to that we apreciate your thoughts and reflections you just got to remember sometimes that it is us who work our asses off each and every time we record an album, but we record for US first and foremost. Then we are just very lucky to get more and more great fans like you for every album.
This means that we will keep producing albums the way WE want them
and just keep wishing that we stay true to ourselves in orderbto stay true to you. THAT is the only way. Cause it is us who are evergrey.
thanks for the time you spend here and your efforts in helping us promote Evergrey!

' t

Good post Tom, and more confirmation of why I love the band. With thinking like that, you guys will never become commercial and never be stale. If you keep writing for yourselves, you're bound to always have a lot of very loyal fans. I couldn't agree more! :D

Yes Tom, it is great, but we want more of them, maybe even harmonized guitar/synth parts and the keys overall having a greater role in the overall songs. More progressive parts like in These Scars. Not to mention more Carina too! She did a fantastic job on that song.

We?

In my opinion the guys has written an amazing album with keys perfectly match for this album. The past is tha past and the keys was just fantastic back then and live on stage now. But now is now and this is what they wanted the keys to sound. And up to us to accept ;)

Tom, it´s just an amazig album. Vi ses i Västerås!

if we would everything that you guys say each and every time then the music would be coming from you, not us and then it would not be evergrey. ' t

Tom, that's fine. I'll just continue to listening to "In Search of Truth" and "The Inner Circle", albums you wrote with the keys exactly the way they should be. :worship:

Was referring to those of us in this thread that agreed the keyboards were either missing on Torn or too low in the mix. Sorry for any confusion.

Definitely keyboards on every song, and I really like the background piano stuff, too. Problem is that it is all too far in the background. I guess this is the crunchy sounding album, where keyboards don't play as large a role in the production.

To me, the perfect keyboard mix is on In Search Of Truth and Recreation Day.
But I believe that Torn is a big step forward from Monday Morning Apocalypse and Rikard got a bigger role this time.
In my opinion keyboards a bit too low and at times I hear a wall of crunchy down-tuned guitars and Rikard buried somewhere in, but it's only production choices, as Tom said.

Equilibrium can change and we, the fans, can't always get Our Perfect Album (though I did, twice, in 2001 and 2003).

I sense the same thing... Rikard's tallent is too hidden :)
Anyway, it's a GREAT GREAT album.

hmmmm, i can't believe people are still bashing MMA. i proudly wave the flag of that album. it's simple, You don't like it, you don't listen...i freely admit not spinning first two albums at all. but it doesn't mean all you people shouldn't too. the choice is yours

hmmmm, i can't believe people are still bashing MMA. i proudly wave the flag of that album. it's simple, You don't like it, you don't listen...i freely admit not spinning first two albums at all. but it doesn't mean all you people shouldn't too. the choice is yours

Wise words! Personally, I spinn all of them :cool:

I think the keys are perfectly in the mix on Torn. If you listen to in isot, EG creates just the perfect mood for THAT album... Perfect for the lyrics, The lack of sleep, the loss of time and the sensation of never beeing lonely... And alien encounters... Taking recreation day and the inner circle, they create the perfect mood that fits the lyrics perfectly. On Torn the keyboards are perfectly mixed for that album imo and i wouldnt want every album to sound alike. I think they create the perfect atmosphere for all the albums they have made! As Tompa says, Its Tom,Rikard,Jonas,Jari and Henrik That creates the music. and not a million different people. Thats what makes them unique, they are true to themselves and their music.

So keep on beeing Evergrey guys, The best fucking band in the world!