Where to start with tdrumming

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
So I bought an electric drum set and have proceeded to practice basic time keeping / easy fills and attempting to drum along with easier songs.
I would like to know some good [free] resources akin to the easy availability of guitar tabs to give me something to practice to progress, or any other suggestions.

Never use a metronome, play faster than you can all the time. : ]

More seriously I intend to start getting lessons every so often soon but for now I could do with tipz.

I have planned to start lessons, too!
I have drum kit, because my brother plays drums..
Then I start lessons, and I will look some things (like beats and rythms...) from internet..
And ask something from other drummers.

Hope that you will be very good drummer soon!

sp :worship:

So I bought an electric drum set and have proceeded to practice basic time keeping / easy fills and attempting to drum along with easier songs.
I would like to know some good [free] resources akin to the easy availability of guitar tabs to give me something to practice to progress, or any other suggestions.

I've never actually used drum tabs to practice, but i'm very good at reading the kind of drum tabs that they have on guitarpro, try that. And if you've just started and have double bass pedals my tip is to leave the second one alone until you're completely comfortable with one pedal. People tend to be wanting to start with double pedals right away, but imo your basic drumming gets much more complete if you start with one pedal. And everytime you're learning something new, do it very slowly until you can do it, then speed it up a notch, then again and so on. That's what i did when i had just started and wanted to learn how to play pedal-eights to HH-fours for example, it's easier to get it in your system if you slow it down and take it from there than to just try at the correct tempo from the start. That is a pretty key technique to learn by the way (if you haven't learned it already), once you learn how to separate hand rythms from feet rythms there's pretty much you can do from there, play 3/4 pedal and 4/4 HH and so on.
If you want some good instruction movies i've learned alot from Mike Portnoys movies, but they're maybe a bit advanced for a beginner.

Don't get depressed and stop drumming now just because you never will be able to pull something like this off :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah drummerworld is the best site out there, in addition to the main site the forums are full of pro drummers, including people like Derek Roddy, Tim waterson and many more, you can ask pretty much any question and you'll get a ton of well informed, intelligent answers back. Also the Vic firth site has a wealth of instructional material...

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/index.html

Anywho start practicing the key rudiments (single stroke roll, double stroke roll and parradiddle) at a slow tempo with a metronome and try to build some kind of daily practice routine around them, practicing these everyday for 10 minutes or so a piece will build up your technique and timekeeping, split your practice between the rudiments and playing to songs/messing around. When you practice the rudiments you want to stay nice and relaxed, so pick a comfortable tempo. However when you play to songs you should pick songs that challenge you, so the rudiments will make you solid and the playing to songs will push you forward.