Where will Ulver go next?

Nefarious_

Messiah with no disciples
As we know with Ulver, it's almost impossible to predict the future by looking at the past, but I wanted to hear some ideas on what direction they could possibly go in after the monumental Blood Inside.

So what do you guys think?

Personally I think they might get a bit more jazzy. There was a hint of it on...dammit, I can't remember...I think it was In The Red, with the sampled bigband brass section. Also I think possibly some more psychadelic improvised stuff. Blood Inside struck me as sounding a lot more planned and rigid than previous work. I think it's unlikely, but I'd like to see them incorporate folky aspects in thier next album. Blood Inside seemed to have a kind of base in rock, I thought it had quite a feel of Pink Floyd to it, so I'd like to see a similar album, but based in folk rather than rock.

Morran said:
I find the comparison to Pink Floyd a bit odd. I think they have a completely different vibe.... but then again they have made all kinds of stuff during all those years. Did you see the Live8 gig, by the way?

Yeah I saw the Live8 gig, I was really pissed off that they only did four songs.

I don't know what it was that made me think of Pink Floyd when I listen to Blood Inside, I think maybe it's all the vintage synth sounds and stuff.

I've wondered if they're influenced by John Zorn with their film soundtracks. It seems to be a part of their music. A collaboration with John Zorn would be nice. ^_^

I saw a documentary on John Zorn once, that guy is fucking nuts. There's a lot of people that Ulver could collaborate with, but I remember reading somewhere that they prefer to have as few people involved as possible with the writing process, in order to keep it true to their visions and ideas.

It totally won't happen, but I really want another album like kveldssanger, it's one of my favourite records ever. I tried listening to similar bands, but none of them does it quite the same way.

John Zorn has a film soundtrack series (think he's on filmworks 15 at least this year), and Ulver use a lot of the same techniques he does, even though I only have one of his film soundtracks.

Nefarious_ said:
As we know with Ulver, it's almost impossible to predict the future by looking at the past, but I wanted to hear some ideas on what direction they could possibly go in after the monumental Blood Inside.

So what do you guys think?

Blood Inside reminded me a lot of, and I'm hesitant to declare it considering I'm new here, Portishead. I think it's awesome that they're dabbling, experimenting and performing elements of so many different musical styles and genres. It makes me enjoy them all the more. As for what direction they may take, I'll have to go with continuing on their expiramental rampage. Perhaps introducing new a new instrument or 3 into their endeavors. Yay Ulver! :)

biscottina said:
Blood Inside reminded me a lot of, and I'm hesitant to declare it considering I'm new here, Portishead. I think it's awesome that they're dabbling, experimenting and performing elements of so many different musical styles and genres. It makes me enjoy them all the more. As for what direction they may take, I'll have to go with continuing on their expiramental rampage. Perhaps introducing new a new instrument or 3 into their endeavors. Yay Ulver! :)

You're not too far off the mark...but maybe a little too late in time. The electronica, trip-hop, and british dub influences were there back with "Themes...", successfully (or not depending on who you ask) mixing it up with metal and industrial/goth (*shutter*). Listening to the "Blood Inside" vibe and reading the interviews with G, there is a 70's vibe (much of it due to the choice for producer, guitar sound, keyboard tones, vocals have the falsettos going far too often)...and I more strongly hear the experimental and expansive influences of Coil and When. It's over the top stuff, as Garm/Kris has admitted to.

And what's ahead for Ulver? Unfortunately I don't see the next Ulver album being more ambitious than Blood Inside. That's be too much. It will be experimental of course, but maybe a move back towards minimalism of 'Silence' EP's and "Perdition City"? It really is hard to say...with Blood Inside, the original plan was to have a different thing going on...the album to be called "Utopian Enterprises", which sounds like it'd be more in the vein of cold, dark, electronica glitch maybe. I'm sure the Ulver trio have not forgotten about the ideas around that proto-album, maybe they'll revisit those themes.

Maybe they'll go back to the 'Nattens' strings remake? That's wishful thinking IMHO... :bah: I real possibility exists that the next album may take a different approach to a nature/forest theme....not a return to black metal, but maybe something in the vein of the new Sigur Ros album? That would close to "something completely different".