wheres do you find music?

with Anathema I don't know, it just happened...
my classmates and close relatives were never into stuff like these so I really don't know :)
nowadays I give a try to all the things my friends tell me they love, even if we are not on the same brainwave when it comes to music. who knows...

mostly friends tell me about stuff. (which they get mostly from magazines i'd say)

reading stuff on the internet and magazines about people you know doing new projects, e.g antimatter with duncan patterson ex-anathema.

also:

forums like these. From those lists of top ten bands and albums.

It seldom i'd hear anything new and good on the radio i'd have on.
And i have no music TV except for mtv uk.

i first read bout anathema in metal hammer, it was a review of judgement. i knew bout antimatter but it was Don who told me that saviour could be found in turkey(i am not really able to download mp3s since i have a slow dial-up connection). Other than that, i listen to certain radio programs, trade mp3 cds with others, browse amazon.com, chat with others bout music

i mostly get mp3s from a friend who is a dc++-fanatic and time to time he comes to me with a bunch of cd-s or a mobile rack and uploads a few gbyteos of musics, so i have something to listen to for half a year. i read metal hammer a lot too, along with satan stole my teddybear (www.ssmt-reviews.com) and a few review sites.

note: if there was a bank account where i could pay with visa, i would immediately pay a reasonable price for most of my favorite albums. (r. price = max. 15 usd)
bands should let us choose this comfortable solution. they cant lose anything unless they have something in their contract about this.

maybe if they uploaded their mp3-s in ultra high quality like 320 kbit/s or so that would be a plus too. (and maybe they can have a buddy to make a nice program, a flash or anything that would run with registration name&code.) etc.

radio/friends (neighbours - running in & out & music junkies & compilations given) & the streets (amazingly lot of records & cd's to be found there)

had little time this week but motorpsycho, nina simone, johnny cash, plastikmen, god speed were welcome discoveries.

edit: interviews - i just did 3 interviews with guys in their 30ies, about their past & present taste in music (rockabily hairdoes! pointy shoes! frankie goes to hollywood!). got a compilation promo for the 'domino festival' this guy is organising (tour manager from ab -big concert hall brussels-), and i like every song on it. (BELLE & SEBASTIAN, de portables, PEACHES, SHELLAC, EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN, HANGEDUP, SOLEDAD BROTHERS, LARS HORNTVETH BLACK DICE, LALI PUNA, LE TIGRE) (sorry for the caps if there are any)

ive no idea where i find it, im listeining to a javan court gamelan at the mo and its amazing, the chimes and voices..like music from a river

most music i buy now just pisses me off, its bollix to think that theres loadsa good stuff out there that i dont know about while im wasting me money on crap

i have some festivalsites i always check (every day) and venue calenders, and if there is something i 'like', i'll check it out
or from friends or this forum, musicsites/magazines

links like pistol_pete's sig, mates like andy (responsible for anathema and porcupine tree and some others) mates like steve from work, and doing badn searches on the net and robbing mp3s off sites....

when i started getting into metal, it was all about what the mags wrote, i picked me cds based on the reviews and all the comments and that, maybe influenced a bit by mates. now its mostly through the net, its so easy to discover things through it, the database is just huge, you dont need anything else...

Friends, internet reviews and then MP3's.
Sometimes gigs or flyers...
No longer magazines, TV or radio !!! (has they ever been a good means of getting into music for me anyway heh ?!?!)

No idea how, forums, papers, whereever, sometimes I just pick up a cd, because I remember hearing nice stuff about it somewhere without exactly knowing what or where, sometimes it works out, often it doesn't.

from this forum, my friends, no magazines (I actually HATE metal magazines). However, as many of you know, I have an online magazine with a few friends, so I also have the chance to get a lot of promos. But most of them are pretty borring, so I'm looking a lot outside the metal music for other interesting stuff. So I would say friends, mostly...