Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I download sound files to preview

Votes: 79 56.8%
  • I only buy cds from band I *know* I like

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • I take a chance and buy CDs blindly.

Votes: 23 16.5%

• Total voters
A bit of #1, a lot of #2 and some of #4...

Lately I've just been downloading stuff to see if I like it... but I'll also buy something I've never heard and take a chance sometimes.

I won't do that dude. Too risky I think. I have to at least know and like 1 or 2 songs by a band before I buy one of their CDs.

Well, I voted for the "I buy cd's blindly", but that's not entirely true! As some of you know I buy more or less only 60's/70's vinyl and I usually get that at second hand stores for 20 Kroner a piece (approx. $2.77), which is kind of the standard price for a second hand store price. I look through what they have and buy it if it looks interesting. I've started not buying that many records blindly, as I've bought so much crap!
I also sometimes download stuff first, but that's if it's metal or something else from the 90's. I never buy from someone else's recommendatons, as I feel that another guy's taste will NEVER determine what I like!

Normally, I'll go to label websites... Roadrunner, Metal Blade, The Laser's Edge, Magna Carta, Century Media, etc... and just peruse the different artists that are there...

Also, I go to genre oriented sites... Prog, Metal, Tech. Metal, Death Metal... whatever.. and see what they have there.

This encompases about 95% of my new music research. The other 5% is divided among word-of-mouth / discussion forums / friend's recommendations / impulse buying etc...

I voted "recommendations from friends", but as someone else stated, by friends I mean the people on the different "boards". After several years, you get to "know" people well enough to know that if they are raving about something, you'll probably dig it too. BUT, I still like to buy blindly, just for the thrill. That's where ebay usually comes into play.

Usually I go for bands I know, or just somehow know I like...!?

Also reviews has a good effect if you know the style of the reviewer, because some of them judge from their own taste, and if the reviewed cd is not in harmony with that, the score is not what it is supposed to be.

old post, but interesting to see what the answers are now. I almost posted a similar thread the other day actually.

While for a while it was MP3 downloading, I now listen to online radio, believe it or not I hop around band's MySpace lists of friends and listen to bands there as well. PureVolume has some decent finds. I check out bands from sig files on this site and/or check into bands talked about here.

Music Choice usually works for me,and also,when i'm hanging out with my friends,and a song I like comes on,then I ask him what it is and download a few more from that band,and buy the cd.

I have to admit I download albums if I do not know the band, however if I enjoy the music, I buy the album (finances permitting... hopefully I'll buy every album I've downloaded and kept), if I don't enjoy it, I delete the files. That's not to say I never make buys without hearing the music, I bought some Adramalech based on the positive feedback I'd seen the band receive and it turned out to be one of my best purchaces.

i've already had "my fixation" if i can say so,...

i just listen wut i like now becouse everyone has those moments when they feel that they sould do something else, listening some new music for ezample, you know wut i mean?...

Lately I've taken cues from the people here on what to buy. But for the most time I have gotten into new bands based on related bands whether by similar style or sharing of band members.