Where's the 8th album?!?

Lyre's Harmony

Lunatic Soul
Sep 14, 2009
ok where is the new S-X album? it seems like forever since paridise lost came out! is there any news that anybody has that they are entering or have entered the studio?

After waiting 5 years for PL, it really doesn't seem like it's been that long yet.

Am I the only one who doesn't want there to be a new CD yet?

Well, that depends. If they're just going to pump out another Paradise Lost, no thanks...wait a few years and do something better.

I knew a guy who was introduced to SX via Paradise Lost and he concluded after hearing it that they were 'as generic as they come.' Sad but I can't help but let reality trump my fanboyism.

Remember that thread where, I believe it was Proulxski, was bitching about the lack of info/updates regarding Paradise Lost, and it erupted into this huge monstrosity? It was hilarious & legendary...like fans were reaching a breaking point after waiting so long for the new album, even though the release was practically around the corner :lol: Ah, the times we've had here :)

Well, that depends. If they're just going to pump out another Paradise Lost, no thanks...wait a few years and do something better.

I knew a guy who was introduced to SX via Paradise Lost and he concluded after hearing it that they were 'as generic as they come.' Sad but I can't help but let reality trump my fanboyism.

CantoX said:
That guy is a dumbass.

Seconded.

It's fine if someone doesn't like PL but don't act like it wasn't an impressive piece of work for what the band chose to do stylistically.

If they're so generic, I wonder why my local "metal" station doesn't ever play them. Some "generic" PL would be a welcome change to the constant deluge of three-and-a-half-minute long nu-metal tracks about ex-girlfriends with the groaning vocals and the chugga-chugga-wha guitar solos (if there even is a guitar solo) that all sound the same. For every person that complains, there are two more that heard PL and the band for the first time and went "whoa...this is awesome." It blows people away. When I introduce people to Symphony X, I point them to PL first and it works every time.

Even the most conventional tracks on the album are five minutes long at the shortest. There is no "generic" metal band writing songs that go anywhere near the content of PL. When you trace out all the work and musical ideas that went into that album, it's staggering. Sure, the album is heavier, more riff-driven, Russell sings deeper, boo hoo. If you don't like beef, don't eat beef...just don't sit there and say "what, steak? I could have just eaten a can of spam, it's all meat..."

Not true dude. It propably wasn't even due to PL, but rather him not digging Symphony X styled bands at all. I showed V to another guy and he thought it was average too and more power than prog, so there you go.

Not true dude. It propably wasn't even due to PL, but rather him not digging Symphony X styled bands at all. I showed V to another guy and he thought it was average too and more power than prog, so there you go.

WHAT?!?! WOW!!!!! Thats weird!
Man... everytime I show people V I usually start with Fallen or Egpyt. Fallen usually FLOORS them and Egypt impresses them a lot, and so they become fans. :headbang:

Yeah well... He just though that it was... Let's find the exact words... "There might be some progish-touch but not enough for me. But, i have heard stuff much worse"

If they're so generic, I wonder why my local "metal" station doesn't ever play them

And that is the most important thing: listening to bands that no-one has heard so you can feel better about your advanced musical taste. The moment a band gains a certain level of popularity should be a signal to leave for better (= lesser known) bands. I personally stopped listening to SX after their first demo.

And that is the most important thing: listening to bands that no-one has heard so you can feel better about your advanced musical taste. The moment a band gains a certain level of popularity should be a signal to leave for better (= lesser known) bands. I personally stopped listening to SX after their first demo.

What demo? Michael Romeo's The Dark Chapter?

That has nothing to do with why I like them, dude. I don't want Symphony X to stay hidden so that I can like them; I said I wanted my local station to play them. If Symphony X got huge one day, I'd keep on spinning their discs and be happy they got the respect (I think) they deserved.

That thread with Proulxski, and myself, to be honest, was fuckin' win. Definitely some good times to be had on the SX forums, lol. It was a battle of the ages, and it raged until only the righteous revailed ;)

... and of course, by that, I mean until Jax e-kicked our asses and locked the thread.