Where's the good new stuff ???

It's pretty slow man. That Warrel Dane record is worth getting....
I've been spending my music money filling holes in my collection - picking up the releases I haven't gotten around to for whatever reason over the years.

We had a couple of really good years (the last few), but things are quiet right now, I agree!

I'm more or less on the same situation, filling gaps and following bands that are newer than those we called old school. On the other hand I hate to buy and buy music that I can't enjoy because I'm overflowing in albums, so I limit myself to bands already know and trust. I have found good bands on myspace some with albums, some just starting.
Right on my sight are the new: Sabaton, Tyr, Exciter, Jorn, Judas Priest (maybe), Venom, Blackmore's Night, Crescent Shield, Dream Evil, Goddess Of Desire, Poisonblack and a couple of other stuff (incluing Black Tide). I suppose that will cover me until December :D

There are some new bands I can recommend tho': Darkwater, Fueled By Fire, Evile, Collusion, Final Stage :D, Scale The Summit, TwinSpirits, Volnaya Staya (those girls are dynamite), Crystal Viper, Project Creation, LoNero, Cypher Seer, Concept Of God

Final Stage :D,

Thanks buddy.

Yeah, it has been pretty slow. Some great albums came out in Jan & Feb and the past 2 months have been pretty quiet. Like the rest of you, I've been filling gaps in the collection and rediscovering old classics in my collection that I had forgotten about.

I'll recommend from 08 thus far:
When the Empire Falls - S/T (similar to Dream Evil, a tad more modern)
Brainstorm - Downburst
Alestorm - S/T
Avantasia - Scarecrow
Black Tide

I'm looking forward to new Krucible (ex-ZLZ), Lasse Dale (ex-Siam), Priest and Dream Evil. There's hope for a new Wicked Maraya album as well.

Alestorm - S/T

I'm looking forward to new Krucible (ex-ZLZ),

You really like Alestorm? I downloaded a spineed a couple of times and didn't click so much for me, kinda average.

What about Krucible does it sounds like Z-Lot-Z?

You really like Alestorm? I downloaded a spineed a couple of times and didn't click so much for me, kinda average.

What about Krucible does it sounds like Z-Lot-Z?

Alestorm is cool to listen to while driving or drinking. Not high on my preference list, more if I'm in the mood. I love Wenches and Mead though.

Krucible is with Lance King and is sort of somewhere between Z-Lot-Z and Pyramaze. The few songs I've heard have been pretty good thus far.

Alestorm is cool to listen to while driving or drinking. Not high on my preference list, more if I'm in the mood. I love Wenches and Mead though.

totally agree mate, Alestorm are great fun, gotta love there metal spirit. Metal + Pirates = Win :kickass:

for anybody interested in hearing a new british melodic metal band check :
www.myspace.com/kalebuk

here's one review...

'There's a real swell of underground talent around the UK and Ireland right now, young bands are forging forward with real talent and promise, it's getting hard to find a really special outfit...but in Leicester's Kaleb I have! Rooted in the best Metal traditions of (John Bush-era) Anthrax, Pantera, Arch Enemy, Metallica, and Slayer, the quintet whip up a storm of chunky riffs and big hooks, to wonderfully mature effect. Nice one guys!' SIMON GAUSDEN - ZERO TOLERANCE MAGAZINE

cheers

If you like goth metal I could recomend new Moonspell-Night eternal. But if you want something to listen with hot sumerday I say Brother firetribe- Heart full of fire. It is Europe type 80`s glam metal/rock but 10 times better.

Newer bands any fan of old school heavy/power/speed/doom metal should enjoy (search them on www.metal-archives.com, I'm sure all of them have myspaces linked from there):

Hour Of 13 (doom)
The Lamp Of Thoth (doom with heavy flares)
The Gates Of Slumber (doom with heavy flares)
Holy Martyr (heavy)
Ironsword (heavy)
Warning (very depressive and original trad. doom)
Cast Iron (heavy, very Running Wild influenced)
Helvetets Port (heavy)
Portrait (heavy)
Wotan (Italy) (heavy)
Enforcer (Sweden) (speed)
Fall Of The Idols (doom)
Isen Torr (heavy)

Older bands who have received reissues of old material:

Cross (heavy)
Salem Spade (heavy)
Held Under (heavy)
Zions Abyss (heavy)
Scarlet Rayne (heavy/power)
Enchanter (US) (heavy/power)
Energy Vampires (heavy/power)
King's Ransom (heavy/power)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was a '2008' thread, though a lot (most maybe) of these bands have or will release albums this year.

Cool stuff. Fun to listen to when you're in a good mood. :) I read a review for the album and happened to see it at FYE so I took a chance and grabbed it, glad I did.

The Gates Of Slumber crushes! Indy dudes doin' it right. I cant really make any suggetions cause i like more extreme elements in my metal.

I have the same problem. It's either death metal or very technical prog metal that most people here don't like. Warrel Dane's solo album is starting to grow on me. Anyone heard that one yet? carnut heard Volbeat yet? I love that band!

Did you pick up the new Testament or Biomechanical albums?

Just got the new Biomechanical, will have a listen in the next days. Testament is on the list too, but I'm not in a thrash-mood lately :p

@Hawk; I heard some songs and I like them alot, think I need to get some of their stuff soon !!

Greeno !!!! Nice to see you here again !! I got a shitload of 70's stuff if you're still interested in that !

Two more recommendations for Doom fans:

Revelation - Release (should be out this month in the US and Japan)
Against Nature - Descend/Much In Little (the same guys as Revelation)