Where's the good new stuff ???

The new Tony Mills hasn't left my CD player in weeks. If only Queensryche could make their new album this good. Modern Sounding, but still with some great twin guitar work and, as always, Mills' tate-like vocals.

New Dokken is great as well. And the new White Lion is starting to grow on me. Still pales compared to their first 4, but there are a few pretty good songs.

After about a week, I've completely given up on the new Priest... Maybe I'll break it out in a few years.

After about a week, I've completely given up on the new Priest... Maybe I'll break it out in a few years.

A week, talk about endurement, it took me two days to do the same :heh:

As for new stuff (at different levels) I recommend the new Alice Cooper album, a doom band called Hour Of 13, don't forget new Exciter as soon as Massacre gets a distribution deal this side of the pond, Falconer, Memory Garden, Presto Ballet, Motorhead, Dream Evil, Crescent Shield, Goddess of Desire, they all have stuff for this year. And check Alestorm and Black Tide as great upscoming bands.

And check Alestorm and Black Tide as great upscoming bands.

Buf, I don´t like Alestorm at all. I listened the myspace songs I felt absolutely disappointed. ¿Pirates? There are only one pirate band in heavy metal: "Under Jolly roger" mr Kasparek

However, Black Tide are great. I saw them live at Graspop and they didi it quite well (even with only one guitar)

The new Blaze Bayley album is excellent if you are seeking traditional Heavy Metal. Otherwise, Seventh Avenue & Dark Empire has put out really good power metal albums. Conceptually, the new Priest has had mixed reviews but I love it. Thrash has had a good year with new ones from Testament & Death Angel.

For non old school releases, the new Nachtmystium, Hail of Bullets, Cavalera Conspiracy, and Kataklysm records are good.

Buf, I don´t like Alestorm at all. I listened the myspace songs I felt absolutely disappointed. ¿Pirates? There are only one pirate band in heavy metal: "Under Jolly roger" mr Kasparek

I though the same in the beginning, another repetitive Running Wild, but I was wrong. Alestorm is more folk/metal with pirate themes, it owes more to Skyclad than to RW. I stopped with them after "Branded & Exiled". Besides who ever heard of German pirates, now English (in this case Scottish) pirates, ho ho ho, :kickass:walk the plank mate :headbang:

Hmmmm..... I hate to say it, but I don't have any metal recommendations right now. I haven't found much I like since the first part of the year. I'm listening to Jet "Shine On" right now. It came out in '06.... I think. It is sort of like taking The late Beatles, The Faces and early AC/DC and mixing them up in a bag. It sure isn't for everyone, but it is pretty cool stuff.

Bryant

A week, talk about endurement, it took me two days to do the same :heh:

Well, after about 2 listens my mind was made up. But I kept trying to like it (especially after ElectricWiz's comment) but it just wasn't clicking and each listen became a chore, so I shelved it.

The Tony Mills has taken over my CD player. I've also been on a bit of a Wolf kick lately - and am awaited their new album.

Anyone that listened to the new Battleroar album?

75.jpg

For me, it's the biggest heavy metal surprise of the year so far. Absolutely brilliant heavy metal.

Cruz Del Sur's site is now streaming the entire album for free, like they did with the new Pharaoh a while back. So if by chance anyone in here is interested in epic old school metal, check it out.

I'd really recommend the Warrel Dane record to anyone who hasn't heard it yet. This is fast shaping up to be one of my very favorites of the year. Also, thanks for all who suggested the new Testament. I've never been a huge fan, but this album kills.
Finally, in Warrel Dane related news, Jeff Loomis' solo comes out in the not to distant future. I'll be getting that for sure. I think of him as the only really creative shredder out there, plus his riffs are pretty rooted in the old school. So, no new Nevermore yet, but solos from Jeff and Warrel!

Just got a promo of the new Sieges Even live album "Playgrounds". Absolutely fantastic album.
Fans of their music can buy it blindfolded. Those who don't know them really should give this album a chance!!

Sieges%20Even%20-%20Playgrounds.jpg

Carnut gives some good tips. :)

Here are a few of mine, they will not appeal to all Old School lovers ;)

Airbourne - Running Wild

Great AC/DC influenced band. They sound like the 70s AC/DC with a shit load of energy added. I love this!

Arsis - We Are Nightmare

This could be my number one for 2008. Technical death metal with great songs and lots of melody added. I play this album every day.

Bonded By Blood - Feed The Beast

Old school thrash Exodus style. Witch is among the best thrash styles ever if you ask me. It will grow on you.

Grand Magnus - Iron Will

Old school and melodic. Grabs you the first time you hear it.

Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy

Soon to be released. Very good concept album (again) by this Canadian death-metal band.

John 5 - Requiem

Great shred album!

Kataklysm - Prevail

Great death metal album. Not as aggressive as their previous album

Krisiun - Southern Storm

Brazilian death-metal. Great album. Would love to see them live.

Opeth - Watershed

Nuff said. :)

Origin - Antithesis

Another great technical death-metal album.
Very intricate riffing. The vocals could have been better.

Soulfly - Conquer

I surprised myself by liking this album. :)
Will see them live at the Loud From The South festival right here in Eindhoven.

Vader - XXV

An excellent overview of their now 25 old career. Some unreleased tracks, some re-recorded and remixed tracks.
Vader simply rules. :headbang:

Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine

Most people here know that Nevermore is my favorite band. But this is not Nevermore, it still is damn great! It needs some time but it will sink in. One of the best albums of this year and higly recommended to anyone who likes metal and likes the vocals of Warrel.

MSG - IN THE MIDST OF BEAUTY

I'm pleasantly surprised by this album! Kind of like lo-fi (sort of), slightly mellower Deep Purple. Mostly though, it seems Michael is finally getting himself back together. There was a good story on him in a recent guitar mag. He owned up to all is abuse problems, as well as his general weird/bad attitude....maybe he's done that before, but it came off as quite serious, and he really does seem to be getting it together. Plus, the record is good! Be warned though, it's not crushingly heavy, if that's what you are looking for.

It seems after a slow start 2008 starts delivering good albums !!
I'm listening to the new Uriah Heep now, and it sounds great !!!
Later on gonna try the new Desperadoz album...

Bonded By Blood - Feed The Beast

Old school thrash Exodus style. Witch is among the best thrash styles ever if you ask me. It will grow on you.

Grand Magnus - Iron Will

Old school and melodic. Grabs you the first time you hear it.

a) overrated IMO, they're not so good as well as Gama Bomb, I prefer by far Fueled By Fire, Evile or the new Testament.

b) Excellent album, scored really high in my top ten at the first listening. They started supposedly as a doom band, but IW is very fast paced and classic heavy as Hawk said.

It seems after a slow start 2008 starts delivering good albums !!
I'm listening to the new Uriah Heep now, and it sounds great !!!
Later on gonna try the new Desperadoz album...

Quoting myselve....Didn't even come to the new Desperadoz, I just kept on spinning that new Uriah Heep. There are some absolutely fantastic songs on this album ("Wake the Sleeper"). This could well be my number 1 this year !!