which album would you recommend ?

aegis

Jun 26, 2001
Nancy, France
i don't think i have ever heard any album by Dan Swanö :confused: , but i know i should have

i am not so much into extreme metal, even if i like melodic death metal
so which album (and from which band :)) should i buy first

Well, you're probably opening a Pandora's box with this post, but here's a basic run-down of some Swano-related projects:

Edge Of Sanity: Think of In Flames and Arch Enemy with more pure Death Metal overtones and superior songwriting and arranging. Best albums are "Purgatory Afterglow" and "Crimson",(which is a forty minute one song masterpiece). Note: stay away from the "Cryptic" CD. Dan was not involved in this at all and it just doesn't hold up well, in my opinion.

Nightingale: My personal favorite of all of Swano's projects. Dan's vocals are entirely clean throughout all three of these albums and the music is varried and leans towards Progressive Rock. All of these albums are tied together by a concept story of murder and reincarnation. "The Breathing Shadow" is possibly the only weak link, musically, in this trilogy but when listened to along with the other two albums, ("The Closing Chronicles" and "I") can grow on you due to the evolution of the storyline. All-in-all, this set is ambitious and utterly enjoyable.

"Moontower" solo album: Great blend of Metal and Prog-style synth work. Vocals are mostly Death style. Hard to describe in words. It's a perfect link between EOS and Nightingale. A must have in any respect.

Bloodbath: First-class Death Metal from Dan and the guys from Opeth. The only release out from them is a 3 song E.P. but I understand that a full album is in the works. If you' re into stuff like Morbid Angel, you'll love this.

Infestdead: Pure EEEEEEEEEVIL Satanic Metal,(he said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)! It's Dan and one of the other EOS members. Fun if you're into that sort of thing but not at all for the weak of heart.

There are plenty of other Swano projects but these are my favorites. I guess I'd suggest "I" by Nightingale and "Moontower" to start with, especially if you don't get into much in the way of the extreme stuff. Those two albums are just a great starting point on the path to total Swano-ism. Trust me, if you can get into those albums you'll start to get into EOS, then the other projects, then you'll be trying to find everything under the sun that has Dan's name in the liner notes.

i am not so much into extreme metal, even if i like melodic death metal
so which album (and from which band ) should i buy first

Then you should get his "Odyssey" album. It came out in 2000 and it was the second album that he released under his own name. The style isn't death metal, but it's heavier than Nightingale and still very melodic; IMHO some of his best vocals ever are on that CD. I guess you'll love it.

I think I've only read about Dan Swanö in some threads on
the Opeth forum, but never heard his work, and known
that it was his! :eek:) So, this is a good thread Aegis! :eek:)

Right now I'm checking out Dan Swanö - Moontower,
I think you guys have opened a few new doors for me :eek:)

I thought I had heard Edge Of Sanity, but as it turns out,
I had only heard the name so many times that the band sounded familiar :eek:)

I agree with Analog_Kid. Definitely check out Nightingale's "The Closing Chronicles" album. I haven't checked out "I" yet. I can't wait to see them at ProgPower in a few days.

Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" is a very cool album. It's one continuous track with different elements. Check it out.

Blood Bath is a nice classic death metal sound. It's very cool hearing Dan and Mike from Opeth together again, especially in this style.

Dan's solo album "Moontower" is amazing as well. Well worth checking out...

Basically, get anything with Dan Swanö's name included in the credits. You will not be disappointed. :D

I think I by Nightingale is a good one to start on simply because the first track is "Scarred for Life", which is just quintessential Swano. " Between it, "Still in the Dark", "Alonley", "I Return", amoungst others, you really get a sense of Swano's sound. A solid album.

Also, for the epic/prog/deathmetal-inclined of you (especially any Opeth fans) Edge of Sanity's Crimson is a MUST. Epic Melodic Death Metal at it's finest. It rules.

All righties, I have officially fallen in love
with Dan Swanö's Moontower.
So now you all know! I'll be listening
A LOT to this album from now on! :eek:)

Yet again, you guys
recommend the best music :eek:)