Which album?

PoisnGodMachine

SacredSerenity
Jul 22, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
I'm interested in getting an Evergrey album...but which do you recommend for now?
what's generally thought of as their best? or the best to start off with?'

thanks

I assume you must have caught their awesome performance at BWBK! (Nevermore was awesome as well)

The last 3 albums are all quite different and all quite incredible... the first album is great too... but not on the same level

Well, my favourite album is Solitude Dominance Tragedy.
Maybe bacuase that's the one I've listened the most to. But I have to say that both ISOT and RD are growing on me the same way... so I guess time will tell which one's really my favourite.
It's just the debut that didn't hit me that much.
Well I guess that the taste differs.

Well, buy the newest one, Recreation Day, simply because that's the one the group promote nowadays, and it's the most recent work which best defines the music and the musicians. From then, you just go back in order. Meanwhile you may just tell your local recordstore to order all of them as well, since you are likely to pic ém up one by one as you continue listening.

I would say the topicstarter is 'forgiven', since the other thread has the subject "I've Heard These Evergrey Guys Before...", which doesnt really indicate ... (in my humble opinion)

True,true. :) I was feeling a bit pissed off earlier today. But still people shouldn't start threads so easily so there wouldn't be repeating all the time as this happens on UM quite a lot.
Some opinions in that thread however.

I'd start with In Search of Truth and then get Recreation Day, then the others. However, Recreation Day was the first Evergrey CD I bought and I wasn't dissapointed in the least. :D

if you l ike piano/organ overall the heavy guitars go for Recreation Day or In Search of truth... if you are more trash oriented try their first two releases, the dark discovery and solitude dominance tragedy...

they are all good... g for recreation and in search of truth

In Search of Truth was the best album of 2001 in my opinion, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it as much as I did unless I had heard Solitude Dominance Tragedy way earlier.

SDT is a good start to get the gist of Evergrey, but ISOT is by many considered their best work to date.

everyone has something different to say...which means...they are all really good albums to start out with! i am sure just one will get you hooked!!

i would say that:
solitude dominance tragedy- is a bit more dreary...saddened in its tone. more gothic/ballad like...pianos, melody.
Recreation Day is a lot more thrash, complex..with songs that are constructed really full instead of having one thing stand out.
in search of truth- is written around a lot of hooks. like a main guitar riff is the basis of everything most of the time. it also sounds "prog"

anyway...i started with ISoT, bought recreation day today...and will hopefully buy SDT some time soon

yes...it has become obvious now...all my weed money is going to be spent on cd's instead!!! addiction...its a bitch! i'm addicted to rocking!! \m/

It is hard to suggest an album of Evergrey for a first listening. Everyone has a different personal favorite. My favorite, personally, is Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy, but that is of course, my favorite album and it may not be the best one for you to start with.

Basiclly, any Evergrey album is a step-forward so I would suggest them all, regardless of which one you purchase first.

in search of truth is my first evergrey album and so far the best progmetal album i have ever heard