Which Cab/Speakers used on TOTTG?

hsnyder

Harris Snyder
Dec 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hey,

Would anybody happen to have any clues regarding the speakers/cabs that were used to record twilight of the thunder god? I know jens (the engineer) likes recto cabs and a marshall mode 4 cab, but for some reason i feel like i read somewhere that they used a krankenstein cab (though it could have been on the krank website, so who knows :p).

I guess the real question is texas heats, v30s, or g12t75s (though i doubt its the latter). I haven't ever heard the texas heats, so i can't really tell. I'm not really trying to clone this tone per se, more just trying to educate myself about different speakers.

Thanks guys

Hi man,

Yeah for recording TOTTG they've used Krankenstein amp/cab.
you can see it on the TOTTG Diary of Amon Amarth ( but there used a tones of others cabs and amps, like H&K triamps or 5150...)
I don't know if there used only the Krankenstein for all the album (now they are playing on Peavey 6505, but they had a endorsement during the recording with krank (We can think there have made some advertising in the diary).
Btw the Krank cab is fucking good, very massive (75kg), 600W, very very powerfull, the Eminence Texas work perfectly, but i never try it in recording session, only in live.

Sorry for crappy english!!

hey, thanks for the reply! what do you mean sorry for the english, you were perfectly clear :D.

thanks for the info about the studio diary, i watched it... yeah it was really helpful. now i'm curious about that mic setup... looked like a beta 57 and maybe like a royer 121 or something?

i'll see if i can give that cab a test drive cause this album made me interested in it.. I know most of amon amarth's tone comes from the hugely heavy guage strings and the picking technique, but i'm sure the krankenstein's sweep knob was useful for adding even more of that low mid emphasis. theres also something else going on in that tone and I THINK its the cab ( and the ludicrously high volume )....