Original Krankenstein half stack - to swap out speakers or not?

Dec 29, 2008
So I got a smokin' deal on an original non-+ version of the Krankenstein head. I bought the matching cab, but I was wondering about the Texas Heat speakers from more experienced Krankenstein users. I bought the head and the cab separate, so I haven't had an opportunity to try them together yet. The cab is sitting by my recording rig and the head is in shipping on it's way. I've heard Lasse and Andy's sound samples on the Krank site; matching cab or V30-loaded, if anyone knows?

If I get it and they're sub-par, what would y'all say about installing a couple of V30's with the Texas Heat in an UberKab-style "X" formation?

Getting a good recorded tone proved to be difficult for me so I swapped out the texas heats with a cross pattern of v30's and g12T75's. Now it's golden.

The Texas Heat has a large dust cap, similar to the T75 speakers in the Marshall 1960 cab, which make them sensitive to the mic placement. Also, if it's a new cab, they're on the brighter side of the spectra, so I'd break them in for a while before swapping them to see if they sounds better that way.