Not liking my krankenstein anymore...clips

Nebulous said:
I can't really see the point of a hotplate when the whole point of turning an amp up is to get speaker movement adding character to the tone...

I guess a Hotplate is useful only with some rock or other less harsh styles of music where poweramp distortion is desired.

Nebulous said:
I can't really see the point of a hotplate when the whole point of turning an amp up is to get speaker movement adding character to the tone...

Yup. Attenuators were NOT meant for modern high-gain. They are meant to break up the poweramp at a decent volume. Even then, they aren't meant for conversation-level volumes. I've even spoken with some well established amp makers who have skeptical views on the long-term affects it has on the amp. Doug Roccaforte even voids the warranties on his amps if you use an attenator with them. Wears out the powertubes faster, and may have adverse affects on the output transformer and other critical pieces in the circuit.

Thanks to the internet forums for spreading around the rumor that these are magic tone fixing boxes...

However, jamming Hendrix? Van Halen? Hair bands? Attenuators will work great, lol!

Yes, there is a sense in using an attenuator. I am in the process of building an iso cab. Combined with that an attenuator will greatly help me in getting a good tone when recording in my apartment.

Jackal_Strain said:
Yes, there is a sense in using an attenuator. I am in the process of building an iso cab. Combined with that an attenuator will greatly help me in getting a good tone when recording in my apartment.
An iso cab. I almost forgot about this. I'll have to look into them. I'm guessing they ain't cheap.

Jackal_Strain said:
I'm interested in this.
How loud do you plan on having the amp and how loud do you think it will be with the attenuator and why not just have the amp loud without the attenuator if it's in an iso cab? I'll take a guess on that last question and say because the iso cab wouldn't be able to isolate the sound as much as you would like if it's cranked up with no attenuator.? :erk:

Update:

Got 2 more clips up.
These are of the original one that is quaded called "L-rich 57 & jack 57 R-jack i5 & rich i5" but processed with eq on all tracks as well as LP on all guitar tracks set within the frequency ranges as suggested by some of you.

Masterworks limiter & Masterworks compressor on the master track but I don't know what I'm doing with them either.
Let me know what you think and maybe give me some more pointers on what to do from here with the guitars. (besides cranking it up) :lol: (and playing tighter) :lol: (and getting v30's) :lol:

Thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=525552

cobhc said:
Not too keen on that tone really Kenny dude. Still the only Krank tone I've liked was Andy's clip for the Krank website.
I'll try some settings from some Bros. of mine on tour! It must be something in my Master buss line because those samples had mids at 4-5. I'll try their settings and see if it's worth the bandwidth:lol:

GORILLA

Radd said:
Update:

Got 2 more clips up.
These are of the original one that is quaded called "L-rich 57 & jack 57 R-jack i5 & rich i5" but processed with eq on all tracks as well as LP on all guitar tracks set within the frequency ranges as suggested by some of you.

Masterworks limiter & Masterworks compressor on the master track but I don't know what I'm doing with them either.
Let me know what you think and maybe give me some more pointers on what to do from here with the guitars. (besides cranking it up) :lol: (and playing tighter) :lol: (and getting v30's) :lol:

Thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=525552

Step 1- Get a tone that YOU think sounds good in the room.
Step 2- Put a mic infront of your favourite sounding speaker (anywhere on it, being resonable, of course)
Step 3- Listen to the recording, then start making adjustments to the mic placement, like 1 cm/0.25" at a time. If it's too fizzy, move away from dust cap, if no enough body move closer to the dust cap. If lowend boom is a problem, start moving the mic at the same increments away from the cab.

Good recorded tones don't come easy. If Andy spends 6 hours arranging, shinning and re-arranging cymbals when he records, I can only imagine how long he spend on a good guitar tone.

Good luck.