Not liking my krankenstein anymore...clips

Why does everyone scoop the mids on their kranks, when kranks are naturally scooped sounding anyway? This sounds dull to me, the low end is kinda tight, but there's too much low end and not enough highs.

RBA - Sounds good. I think you got the hang of it already.

Guitarhack - Not horrible. Would like to hear it quad tracked. I'll have to try your settings. Yeah, keep us updated with it when you get it back.

So I guess my biggest problem as stringy says is volume.
I think in my first clips the volume was on 2 and the new ones are on 1 1/2 w/master on 1 for both. (everyone can laugh right here)
There is no way I can do 5.

Hopefully early next here I'll get a house but until then maybe an attenuator and possibly an OD pedal will help define the tone of my original clips just enough for me to squeak bye for now...?

I'll keep working on it.

Radd said:
People keep mentioning the THD Hotplate but I think it was elephant-audio that found the Weber mega dump which works witn 4, 8 & 16 ohms plus it's cheaper. Right here: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mdump.htm
OK forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought because of the Krank's design a hotplate isn't gonna do much more than cut the volume level. What would be other advantages of using one of these?

I just think it's wrong when people don't realise how scooped sounding the Krank's are anyways lol. Keep up the good work, I'd nearly given up on Krank's sounding good, but if you keep working on that tone, it might just change my mind about them. Keep me posted please.

RootBoundApollo said:
OK forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought because of the Krank's design a hotplate isn't gonna do much more than cut the volume level. What would be other advantages of using one of these?

If you go up a few posts on the second page, I outlined what the attenuator will do.

It wouldn't help much. If you stick the amp on 5 on the master, but still have it at TV volume it's not going to be doing much help. The speakers need to be moving air. There is no magic fix here.

When I say volume, I don't mean lethal levels here...we don't want to get too loud where the poweramp mushes out and you lose your low-end definition or the diaphragm on the mic is getting pounded too hard. Just find the sweetspot on the master and life will be so much easier.

RootBoundApollo said:
I'm just starting to feel kind of desperate and am looking, hoping for something, anything to help me out.

Radd said:
I'm just starting to feel kind of desperate and am looking, hoping for something, anything to help me out.
well fuck around with stuff like I've been doing and maybe you'll luck out. Meanwhile, I posted another clip and I'm curious if you think it sounds better or worse than the previous one. My speakers are fuckin' loopy.

Anywho if you want I can post some pictures of mic placement, amp settings, etc it could give you a decent starting point

RootBoundApollo said:
well fuck around with stuff like I've been doing and maybe you'll luck out.
:lol: Yeah, I plan to and I hope so.
I just made up a new word for your new clip: Brutiful! Sounds great. I love it.
Yeah pics would be sweet. The more info the better. This is giving me hope!

RootBoundApollo said:
well fuck around with stuff like I've been doing and maybe you'll luck out. Meanwhile, I posted another clip and I'm curious if you think it sounds better or worse than the previous one. My speakers are fuckin' loopy.

Anywho if you want I can post some pictures of mic placement, amp settings, etc it could give you a decent starting point

You're getting it man! I'm liking that clip.

thanks for the comments!

OK, radd, I know you said you're using a krankenstein, but I've played both and they seem very similar tonally except for the fact that the krankenstein has more gain, so maybe roll that back a notch or two from where I've got it.

here's the settings

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

wow... that flash makes those fingerprints look like someone was fingerpainting with cream cheese...

mic placement coming in uno minuto

mmkay, now here's the mic. I have it somewhere around an inch away from where the grill cloth would be, and looking straight at the speaker from the back the left side of the mic is about a half centimeter left from the left edge of the dust cap. I've tried andy's amp settings and fucking god, that man is a miracle worker to get the sounds he gets with those settings.

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

Good results RBA. That's sounding pretty good. I have tried those settings before and it must be my cab, but the Bass is WAY over the top when it is recorded. I am totally happy with the sound of it in a room, it's just this recording side of things.

Radd, I have a THD Hotplate, it does not help me with the high-gain stuff, it just sucks the life out of it. For low gain (gain on 1) it can sound ok, but save your money, I wish I had.