• Damnation

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Deliverance

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't follow lyrics (I consider vocals just another instrument), so I'm posting a totally useless answer to your question: I have no answer

Ok, before I go anywhere, I just want to point out that I think Mikael Akerfeldt is a near unrivalled musical genius. That said, I DON'T rate him as a lyricist. The words aren't humane enough for me. They are too concerned with sounding 'poetic', that they often just end up being pretentious. Luckily, Mike knows how to write AWESOME vocal melodies, so this is easily compensated for. I voted Damnation, because the lyrics are more 'personal' sounding, and therefore I can relate to them on some level.
Personally, I think Jonas Renske is a much better lyricist.

I think Morningrise's lyrics are utter crap!

MAYH is their most vivid set of lyrics and just send a shiver down my spine to read them. THe style in which i try and write, or at least that i've been most influenced by.

I think each album has it's own unique lyrics... Orchid is the only album with a couple lyrics that are just plain dumb but it is forgivable because it is a great album. I do think the lyrics on MAYH and SL are amazing, really. The ones on BWP are great too especially on the title track and TDF. GR has pretty good lyrics. Morningrise is great because there aren't as many lyrics about the forest and it feels more personal. Maybe thats why it's my favorite. But I decided to go with Deliverance because they're very mature; same with Damnation, very personal and mature.

I will have to go with MAYH easily on this. That is thier best concept yet. The way the last word of the song is the title of the next one is a innovative way of tying the conccept as a whole together. Also, the way the character was a ghost and some songs are not sung but just written to express the mere thoughts alone. "A breeze passed by somewhat warmer for a second, I knew it was the coming of spring, thus our APRIL ETEREAL", sheer magic. To me this album is the one that I would truly sit down and listen to the whole way through and read alnong woth the lyrics. This is the album where the music revolves around lyrics.....so duh thier best concept and lyrical content to these ears. Morningrise and MAYH are their best albums to me!!

My hat's off to the lyrics written in "My Arms, Your Hearse" and I especially like the detail of ending each song with the title of the next track. I believe no artists or groups have ever done such a thing before on an album.:tickled:

The lyrics for Morningrise and Orchid do pretty much nothing for me. A lot of Orchid seems like a level above bad goth poetry (flame all you wish, that is just how I see it) and Morningrise is just...meh...boring.

I am going with Still Life.