My Arms...

darkstain

New Metal Member
Feb 20, 2007
.. your hearse!

I always wondere what Opeth intented with this title. The tracks are all such brillant, but I cannot establish a relationship to the record's title. Is arms ment as weapon's arms or a livin being arms?

second - when you look at the lyrics of the my arms your hearse songs,

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/opeth/myarmsyourhearse.html

there are some parts where there is text mentioned where is none. E.G. the Prologue. But also at the end of "April Etheral" I do knot hear the part when there should be sung "I don't know how or why, I'll never know WHEN."

Why is this ?

regards
darkstain :headbang:

Arms refers to the hands... and Hearse is a vehicle for conveying the coffin at a funeral. "My Arms, Your Hearse" may be explained as the person holding, or touching the hearse of whoever "your" is referred to... i think. :confused:

Well if I'm not wrong.. Mike took the name from somewhere else... which I can't seem to recall. :confused:

Its the best album title! Very awesome! However, I couldn't really relate the name with the original concept of the album... apart from the fact that it does implies someone being dead.

I'm not sure what u meant to ask on ur second question... :confused:

I've also wondered about the lyrics ... only got idiot responses to that question before ... perhaps you'll be more lucky and someone will tell you.
I guess there are lyrics for all the songs, but they haven't been included in the recording. As it is a conceptalbum, it is possible that Mikael wrote these lyrics first, and then wrote the music ...

in my CD you do hear the end in april ethereal ("something passed by and i went into a sleep. she, weeping and laughing at once:"take me away". i dont know how or why, and ill never know when...")
but not the prologue. never understood how come it is on the lyrics thing that comes with the CD, but they dont sing it? :\

The titled is nicked from the Comus song "Drip Drip" and refers to carrying someone to their grave, thus making your arms/hands their hearse.
Regarding the overall lyrics of this Opeth album Mike said something like "It looked good in the booklet" :). But. really, the concept seems circling around a passed away girl and her spirit haunting the living world, not to far away from King Diamonds "Abigail".

there are some parts where there is text mentioned where is none. E.G. the Prologue. But also at the end of "April Etheral" I do knot hear the part when there should be sung "I don't know how or why, I'll never know WHEN."

Why is this ?

regards
darkstain :headbang:

Hey wait... I think you should be able to hear "I don't know how or why, I'll never know WHEN." ... I think its in the song :s... try listening to it again...

"I'll carry you to your grave My arms your hearse"

i liked the album title much more when reading it in context of the Comus song.

The titled is nicked from the Comus song "Drip Drip" and refers to carrying someone to their grave, thus making your arms/hands their hearse.
Regarding the overall lyrics of this Opeth album Mike said something like "It looked good in the booklet" :). But. really, the concept seems circling around a passed away girl and her spirit haunting the living world, not to far away from King Diamonds "Abigail".

This is the correct answer... although the person in MAYH is definitely a man, whose spirit is haunting his lover.

The instrumental songs having lyrics adds a nice touch imo, to their masterpiece, and definitely adds something to the experience if you are reading the lyrics while listening to the album. Also the terms prologue and epilogue are used for literature as an introduction and conclusion to a novel, which makes sense that they have lyrics written on the album booklet...

roger wooton of comus is a god! right along with mike, too bad he only had the one really good album! his second album clearly makred his insanity. a friend of mine saw a some random forum thats a few years old were 2 of the othe(?) music again. i guess its not workin well though...

To some of you who have the album, have a look at the booklet.

It's all written as a story, there is NO seperation between songs however.

Why? Cause It's a story :D

Why lyrics on an instrumental? There may be 2 reasons:
1.Mike wrote the lyrics but didn't have a backround to sing\growl them on
2.Mike decided to use the lyrics only as a part of the story and to have the song run in the backround, for the mere beuty of it.

I actually really like that part :D Great album. I wish for more concepts >:

" It will be an Opeth record by all means. Some [song] titles: "Face of Melinda," "Serenity Painted Death," and "The Willow Tree."

wonder which song is "The Willow Tree" :) ...

"
wonder which song is "The Willow Tree" :) ...

http://www.hailmetal.com/gate.html?name=MReviews&op=show&rid=83

"HM: AWMM would like to know: In an interview before the release of Still Life, there was mention of a song being written titled "The Willow Tree".
Was this song scrapped, or renamed? If it was renamed, which song did it become known as?

Mikael: I can`t remember now, it was probably renamed. I think it might be "The moor". I know I used to namedrop a few titles just to gain some interest. I usually had some real titles and some working titles. Like "To bid you farewell" was called "Autumn" and "Twilight is my robe" was "Oath" and so on…."

^^ The Willow Tree would be a cool alternate name to the moor. That is such a deep dark tune, and that name kinda has that dark feeling to it. I like Oath for Twilight too, but im not too keen on Autumn for To bid. Pretty cool to hear some of the early ideology of Opeth.