Which drum software do you think I should get?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
Hey dudes! I'm debating on whether I should get Addictive Drums or EZ Drummer or DFH EZX or something of the sort.

I would love to hear your input on all those, if you'd be so kind!

Thanks!

For me, the order is Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0, and then EZD/DFH in a distant last. AD seems to be way more straightforward and easier to get metal tones out of compared to Superior 2.0 (I'm sure it's possible in Superior, but christ does that thing have SO much more than I need in terms of samples, options, etc.). And EZD DFH, eh...too much replacing needs to be done to get it to sound decent.

I'm biased, but I think BFD2.0 sounds better than all of them. It just takes work, it's not an instant gratification plugin. Out of your list, the one I'd bother with the least is Addictive Drums. Poor sounds, and they use LOSSY compression on their samples.

Thanks... yes, I'd prefer to avoid drum replacement. I mean, I'd just use aptrigga is I really need to, but part of the reason is I want it to sound as natural as possible. Main reason, tho, is I prefer to keep things simple.

BFD2? I might have to check that one out.

I, myself, am just impressed with some of the DFH clips I've heard, mainly bulb's...

BFD2 is in no way at all directed towards metal. I'm sorry for bashing BFD2 every time you post about it amberience but I feel like it is the WORST drum sampler out there and I STRONGLY do not recommend getting it. To me it might be good for jazz or blues or something but it is not in any way a versatile drum sampler in my opinion (of course). There is one snare on it that I think is decent. None of the kicks have any ounce of click or attack at all and the cymbals are OKAY at best.

I would recommend DFHS but I have never used Addictive Drums. I used to have EZD DFH and I agree with Metaltastic about it.

BFD2 is in no way at all directed towards metal. I'm sorry for bashing BFD2 every time you post about it amberience but I feel like it is the WORST drum sampler out there and I STRONGLY do not recommend getting it. To me it might be good for jazz or blues or something but it is not in any way a versatile drum sampler in my opinion (of course). There is one snare on it that I think is decent. None of the kicks have any ounce of click or attack at all and the cymbals are OKAY at best.

I would recommend DFHS but I have never used Addictive Drums. I used to have EZD DFH and I agree with Metaltastic about it.

I'm sorry, and I don't mean this in an offensive manner, but tastes differ, and so does experience. I've heard your recordings on your Myspace, and I don't think the drum sound is that good to be honest. I posted a clip in response to you in the other BFD2 thread I made.

Suffice to say, I think BFD2 is very well suited to all styles of music. You're one guy, and I'm one guy also. Neither of us are much of an authority on drum-sound, so lets not make grand definitive statements.

Kicks not having enough click or attack - you need compression and EQ. BFD2's stock content was recorded with very hot signals, and the kits were recorded with no effects (unlike Toontrack stuff) and as such, you're working with the bare minimum that you'd have with a real drumkit. You need to do a lot of extra work to get it to fit.

Whether you're up for that work or not is another matter.

But to say that "BFD2 is no way directed at metal" is just plain wrong. It isn't directed at any specific genre. It is directed at people who want high quality, raw drum sound, to compose with and mix into their products. HOW you use it, is up to you!

My 2c.

Superior actually is completely dry also man. But yes you are right it is just my opinion and maybe I am not that great at mixing drums. But why do more work on BFD2 when I have to do less on Superior?

Superior actually is completely dry also man. But yes you are right it is just my opinion and maybe I am not that great at mixing drums. But why do more work on BFD2 when I have to do less on Superior?

I haven't tried Superior 2.0 yet, but I do believe Superior 1 had compression and EQ on the drums when they recorded, so my sources tell me. They could be wrong, but I doubt it.

At the end of the day, use what you like... I'm just throwing my own voice out there for BFD2.

Man have YOU listened to those clips? To me those drums sound awful.....Just my opinion though. Listen to a song like this from Bulb http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=147108&songID=6585165

or hell listen to anything from Bulb. His drum sound is fantastic and is all DFHS.

lmao. I made those clips, of course I've heard them.

*shrugs*

Can't please everyone, but personally, I think that's the best drum sound I've heard from software.

Man have YOU listened to those clips? To me those drums sound awful.....Just my opinion though. Listen to a song like this from Bulb http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=147108&songID=6585165

or hell listen to anything from Bulb. His drum sound is fantastic and is all DFHS.

Bass drum sounds like a roland 909 with a highpass filter on it!! :OMG:

Seriously... kick and snare are lacking so much in dynamics that it reminds me of Ministry!!

I guess we have different aims for our drum sound.

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Bulb's drum tone does not involve aptrigga or drumagog or something of the sort, right? I really like his drum tone...

Yeah, his are all stock DFHS sounds, and despite the fact that I think it's similar samples, I've never heard EZD DFH sound even remotely close.

And all the clips I've heard of AD here (Fuge86's "Egg," for example) have convinced me that it can sound awesome :)

Yeah, Fuge's stuff is pretty convincing too. I've got the AD demo, but it's not cutting it for me anymore. I've got the stuff in there EQ'd so drastically I don't think it's 'healthy' for the mix anymore. I can get the kick to sorta work this way, but my snare always ends up sounding st. anger-ish. I think having more samples from the full version might be really really useful, tho, especially on the snare.

Dude, get some of the user presets from this forum. I thought AD was pretty average till I heard guys here 'work it' like a Thai hooker on crack whose Mom was her lesbian pot dealer and pimp. Trust me, that's fuckin workin it. And she has this trick with ping pong balls that --- Anyway... get some user presets. I can send you the ones I've got from here and XLN Audios' site. I know dick about mixing/processing raw drums so the presets I got were both necessary and very infomative seeing how these guys set things to get the sounds they did.

Most of the presets on this forum are not compatible with the demo... I've got Fuge's saved on my computer, but I can't use it. It's just sitting there awaiting the day I get my hands on the full version of AD. If you've got some nice presets that work with the demo you could share, I'd be more than grateful :)

Dude, I know your presets and you always boost the shit out of the mids (at least you were).
The Sonor-snare brings an aweful amount of clangy frequencies. The Tama-Snare sounds great and so does the DW Craviotto, when treated right. I struggled to get a real punchy and mighty snare (also having bulb's in mind), but I think I'm on the right way now. You just HAVE to treat AD more extreme than you maybe would treat a real drumset. I don't additionally treat AD in Logic (except of a bit of saturation on top).

I would definitly go for AD - but I'm also very interested in getting DFHS to play around with.

Amberience, I see you deleted your clips in this and the other thread, I was kinda curious to hear 'em (now that I'm home from work on a computer that can actually read those dumb FLAC files ;))

Yeah, his are all stock DFHS sounds, and despite the fact that I think it's similar samples, I've never heard EZD DFH sound even remotely close

supposedly the samples used the DFH expansion are the same ones as the original DKFH

and i'm listening to this song on bulb's soundclick, and i'm not overly impressed with the drums myself either...they sound decent, and they fit the song, but it's not something that makes me go :OMG:

that's reserved for his guitars