Which is the SM57 of condensor mics?

Behind

Sep 3, 2008
Hi guys!

So the title says everything. I'm quite lost concerning mics and prices. I'd like to know if there's a standard as sm57 is but for condensor mics. The price range is also important. I mean, prices similar to the 57.

My objective is to record better acoustic guitars and vocals. Any ideas?

Look for an Audio Technica 4040 on ebay after the Grammys. I got one a couple of years ago that was used just that night at a decent discount.

Hmm... that is a good question. As far as mics that are good for everything, yeah a U87 or something. But then again, SM57's are cheap as hell.

I agree with the AT4040. I would also look at the CAD M179 since it sounds great and has all the polar patterns and such making it great on everything.

I would also consider a Shure KSM44 or KSM32, excellent sounding mics that are also great on everything. They don't have the harshness of many cheap condensers, don't have as signature of a sound as others, and really do just work on everything. Reasonably priced as well. And it is also by Shure...

I've been using the at4050 quite a lot lately, lots of body without losing the focus on the mid-highs.

I think it was the only mic I used for recording the gtrs of my band, soldano x88r + 4x12 mesa cab (link in signature).

For dirt cheap try the MXL V67g. It's a U67 knockoff, I like it, but it's not a patch on the Neumann. Not by a long shot.

I like the AKG 414 but if you cant afford one then the AKG C3000b does quite a nice job , I picked mine up off eBay for about £75 which isnt far off SM57 money .

For recording in a (bed)room with no accoustic treatment: do you think it's better to stick with the SM58 instead of a (likewise cheap) codenser mic, because the codenser would pick up too many unwanted/bad sounding room sounds?

If you want something in the same price range as the 57, the AT2020 is actually a great mic for vocals and acoustic guitar tracking. Sound On Sound and some other mags have done shootouts with it up against far more expensive condensers and it usually gets the popular vote. I own one and I think it's easily worth twice what I paid for it.