Which is your predilect LIMITER/BRICKWALL Soft plugin??

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey guys, I´m working all night long and I wonder which is the LIMITER/BRICKWALL Soft plugin you like the most...
I used Waves L2, L3, Sonnox Limiter, Voxengo Elephant, UAD Precission Limiter...but I want to hear your opinions. which is the one who´s got the clearest sound, and gets more RMS without degrading the sound...
I noticed comparing L2 and Sonnox Lim, that the 2nd adds more body to the sound and keeps better the dynamics as I saw in the wave form, and on the other hand, L2 is more like crystal clear, but if want more than -10 db RMS, the wave form is turned to a complete brick, where you can´t recognize where is the dynamic wave without a big zoom.
I´m sure there are lots a people around here that have to mastered their own stuff and they can´t afford to have the highest quality processors, so I tell you my mastering chain:
Waves LinEq, BBE Maximizer hardware, Waves LinMB, Sonnox Inflator and L2...
One las question: There is a Spanish Forum where one person once posted a topic called: "Is there life after Waves L2", because it´s very common in low prices mastering... what do you think???

Sonnox Limiter for me. I love it. I use it in conjunction with the Inflator and Gclip for loudness maximizing. I'm demoing the T-racks clipper against gclip to see which works better, but so far I haven't heard much of a difference.

I hear many good things about the Massey L2007.

Many seem to dig Event Horizon, but I don't know whether that's in clip or limit mode. To me it just absolutely slaughters my mixes though. It cannot take a great deal of gain reduction without shitting itself sideways.

The Voxengo Elephant 3 no doubt has potential but it has WAY too many options to incorporate into a speedy workflow. The developer should not give that many options to the end user. There needs to be an amount of foolproofing done ahead of time. IMO of course, but couple the garish UI with the myriad of options that aren't self-explanatory and you have a bit of an enigma box that leads to trial and error.

Yeah, all the fucking options in Elephant piss me off, but usually I just work from the presets and ignore them cuz they barely seem to make any difference! And you think the Elephant 3 GUI (updated) is ugly Ermz? I don't mind it, and at least they hid the lame obscure controls in a sub-menu! (the better to ignore them :lol: ) And the built-in DC filter (AKA HPF) and dithering is useful too

To be honest, I havent played around with much and only have the L2 to use - but I dont like it all that much. Very punishing on dynamics. Ill have to check out some of the others mentioned on here, unfortunately am living / working on a serious budget at the moment!!

What is this spanish forum you mentioned?

Just be sure to read the manual! It's concise and well-written, and really helps to know what the fuck everything does! (even if you end up later ignoring it :D)

Yeah, all the fucking options in Elephant piss me off, but usually I just work from the presets and ignore them cuz they barely seem to make any difference! And you think the Elephant 3 GUI (updated) is ugly Ermz? I don't mind it, and at least they hid the lame obscure controls in a sub-menu! (the better to ignore them :lol: ) And the built-in DC filter (AKA HPF) and dithering is useful too

Do you ever use the DC filter?

All the time; not like I really notice a difference, but I don't see a reason not to! (and high-passing at around 40 Hz is always good to do for a mix anyway)