Which label would you send your music to?

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
The album's done, the packaging is almost finished; I think we're going with digipacks. Futuristic and cold-sounding and a bit progressive concept album, it is. Think Samael meets Fear Factory with touches of black here and there. Quite epic-sounding in parts.

I've always been drawn to Peaceville and Century Media, although I'm sure we'll take whatever we can get. Those are pretty big labels and it's quite a stretch to even imagine getting on board with them with the first album.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, that's kinda why I put the description in there, to narrow the list to feasible labels for the music.

They'll all probably think it's shit anyway, :lol:.

Yeah, we'll probably whore ourselves out to anyone who will put their name on it so we can finally get some attention, hehe. The band is gonna be like Satyricon and Anaal Nathrakh, in the sense that the studio will predominately be done by us and the live band will be separate unless they just mesh perfectly. We're still short singer, bassist, and programmer/keyboardist. My drummer did everything himself. We're anal retentive fuckheads and not the easiest to work with when it comes to vision...we're really focused and know exactly how we want it. But since we're both like that, we're like a gay couple without the buttsecks. It's natural for us to work together and we have no problems.

I forgot about Season of Mist...I thought they went under, though. Is this true? I thought Anathema was on Season of Mist and they imploded.

try with something smaller like masterpiece.

I was thinking about that as well, but I don't know many small labels besides stuff like Lifeforce or Bieler Brothers. Like I said, big or small...it doesn't matter. I'd almost prefer really really small since we're virgins to this sort of thing and wanna take our time.

The gay innuendo never ceases, does it?

hah! yes season, i was thinking about that. there is deadbang records, but it's italian and... it doesn't have a good distribution.
Maybe scarlet records.

oh, yeah, i want the album :D

Dude, I'll put it on Soulseek and you can download it if you want. Better yet, just come up here and hang out and I'll give you a copy. If you hate it, just use it for a beer coaster or something. I'm still waiting for the permission. We don't even have a myspace page up or anything yet.

I really like the cover...it's really simple. White background with orange Skylab logo and some gunmetal gray touches. It kinda reminds me a little of that Devin Townsend cover, in the aesthetic sense.

Shit, I'm still learning a few of the songs, even. It probably won't go anywhere, but I just saw Gallhammer signed to Peaceville....wtf? I know it's that whole underground black metal thing, but still...

Just send it to every label that you think suits the style. I mean it's not like YOU are in the position to pick a label for your band, it's the other way around. Labels get flooded every day with demos or promos, chances are so small you get picked. I mean you can always decline later, but maybe you're just missing that one label out, that would pick you.

hah! yes season, i was thinking about that. there is deadbang records, but it's italian and... it doesn't have a good distribution.
Maybe scarlet records.

A friend of mine's band is signed to Lifeforce...they're playing at Prog Power Festival in Atlanta as we speak, but I heard they weren't really too happy at the moment with the business-side of things.

Slowmotion Apocalypse is from around here and friends of mine as well, and they're signed to Scarlet...they just did a tour with Nightrage and Mnemic. I think Scarlet would be a good label, and they're so diverse that they might actually take a chance. They've got Alhelleuja, Hatesphere, Necrodeath, Kayser, Terror 2000, among others. Very diverse.

A friend of mine's band is signed to Lifeforce...they're playing at Prog Power Festival in Atlanta as we speak, but I heard they weren't really too happy at the moment with the business-side of things.

Raintime, eh? Pretty good band.

Wish I coulda made it to Progpower this year, things came up, couldn't do it.

Just send it to every label that you think suits the style. I mean it's not like YOU are in the position to pick a label for your band, it's the other way around. Labels get flooded every day with demos or promos, chances are so small you get picked. I mean you can always decline later, but maybe you're just missing that one label out, that would pick you.

I think that's the plan. We're gonna give it a shot, but if it doesn't work, we'll still continue to make everything on our own anyway. It started out as his solo project, then he found me halfway through the recording process and asked if I liked it, which I did, and the rest is history. In any case, this album is his baby...the next one will be democratic. If it totally bombs, it doesn't matter anyway. It's his offering to the world, and that's all that matters to him.

Shit, he recorded the thing with Reason 5 and DST plug-ins for guitar. We've played it live together and it sounds fucking monstrous with my real amp. We'd like to re-record the guitar parts with a real amp if we get signed and get a little studio time to fix all the little nuances after the money ran out. After he recorded it, he went to the local studio to mix it and that was that.

That may be a big advantage, though. It's an actual album, not a demo, so although the quality may be a bit lower than the thousands and thousands of euros thrown at the sound of a better recording, for all intents and purposes, it's done. No advances, no waiting. It's there, it's done. All they would have to do is promote it.

Raintime, eh? Pretty good band.

Wish I coulda made it to Progpower this year, things came up, couldn't do it.

Yeah, and I'm really curious to see what they thought about their first trip to the US. I'm sure they're like kids in a candy store right now.