which features would you like to see added to the site?

jimbobhickville

Tyrant in Distress
There have been a few suggestions for new features, and I have a few of my own that I've been considering for a while. So, tell me what would be useful, what wouldn't, and suggest anything else that you'd like to.

1. CD ratings. Some kind of scale (1-5, 1-10, 1-100, whatever), possibly dileneated into different aspects (songwriting, vocals, production, etc) or not. Librarians could rate any CDs they want and an average rating would be displayed which could be viewed, broken down by librarian.

2. Visitor CD ratings. Let visitors add their own ratings to CDs in the same way as above. This gets tough because it's hard to limit to 1 rating per visitor, so some eager fans could screw up the averages.

3. Top 10 lists. Librarians can rank their top 10 cds by year. I've always liked looking at those on other sites, but lack of interest by others has kept me from programming it, thus far.

4. Multiple release dates. Display all release dates for a CD, but sort them in the discography only by the earliest one. This would allow for not only re-releases, but also different release dates in different regions. Would be a pain to program maybe, but if it would be useful, I can look into it. I'd also think it useful to allow not only the year, but month and day as well (where it is known).

5. Allow visitors to show/hide certain pieces of information. Such as hide Demos and Singles, hide bands that aren't active, hide guest lineups, stuff like that. There's probably a lot of configurability that could be added, but would anyone even want to use it? The settings would be remembered, so long as you left your cookies intact.

6. Suggest a band page. Let visitors submit information about bands they want to be added. That way, if someone simply has a few bands they want to see added, but doesn't want to apply to be a Librarian, they can do so easily.

7. Report errors page. A link on each page to report erroneous or missing information on that page.

8. Where can I buy this CD? A link on each album page that will show online shops that have the item in stock. That would be cool, but seriously difficult to program. I know Amazon has the ability to look up availability remotely, but I doubt most metal distributors do. To do that, I'd need to work out some sort of referral program with them. It's an idea, though.

9. An 'out-of-print' field on CDs to let people know at a glance whether something has gone out of print.

10. Album formats. List all formats on which an album was released (CD, vinyl, cassette).

11. Videos. Support the addition of DVDs and other videos.

I know I had a few more written down at home, but there are a some to chew on. I'm hoping to hear both from Librarians and visitors. Let me know how I can make the site a better resource.

jimbobhickville said:
There have been a few suggestions for new features, and I have a few of my own that I've been considering for a while. So, tell me what would be useful, what wouldn't, and suggest anything else that you'd like to.

1. CD ratings. Some kind of scale (1-5, 1-10, 1-100, whatever), possibly dileneated into different aspects (songwriting, vocals, production, etc) or not. Librarians could rate any CDs they want and an average rating would be displayed which could be viewed, broken down by librarian.

Maybe not delineated. A 1 - 10 scale overall would be better and easier, at least while we have so few people working on the site.

jimbobhickville said:
2. Visitor CD ratings. Let visitors add their own ratings to CDs in the same way as above. This gets tough because it's hard to limit to 1 rating per visitor, so some eager fans could screw up the averages.

I'd avoid this for exactly that reason. :)

jimbobhickville said:
3. Top 10 lists. Librarians can rank their top 10 cds by year. I've always liked looking at those on other sites, but lack of interest by others has kept me from programming it, thus far.

This is a cool idea.

jimbobhickville said:
4. Multiple release dates. Display all release dates for a CD, but sort them in the discography only by the earliest one. This would allow for not only re-releases, but also different release dates in different regions. Would be a pain to program maybe, but if it would be useful, I can look into it. I'd also think it useful to allow not only the year, but month and day as well (where it is known).

This is a good idea too. A lot of CDs are released at diferent times in different markets, so it would be good to show this.

jimbobhickville said:
5. Allow visitors to show/hide certain pieces of information. Such as hide Demos and Singles, hide bands that aren't active, hide guest lineups, stuff like that. There's probably a lot of configurability that could be added, but would anyone even want to use it? The settings would be remembered, so long as you left your cookies intact.

I say make it as functional as possible, if you can.

jimbobhickville said:
6. Suggest a band page. Let visitors submit information about bands they want to be added. That way, if someone simply has a few bands they want to see added, but doesn't want to apply to be a Librarian, they can do so easily.

7. Report errors page. A link on each page to report erroneous or missing information on that page.

Excellent ideas, these. That way guys who just want their own bands/friend's bands added and not do anything else can just put them in a queue for us to add later.

jimbobhickville said:
8. Where can I buy this CD? A link on each album page that will show online shops that have the item in stock. That would be cool, but seriously difficult to program. I know Amazon has the ability to look up availability remotely, but I doubt most metal distributors do. To do that, I'd need to work out some sort of referral program with them. It's an idea, though.

Let people work this one out for themselves, I reckon.

jimbobhickville said:
9. An 'out-of-print' field on CDs to let people know at a glance whether something has gone out of print.

Good idea.

jimbobhickville said:
10. Album formats. List all formats on which an album was released (CD, vinyl, cassette).

I'm not sure this would be that necessary. Maybe just make a note in the description field

jimbobhickville said:
11. Videos. Support the addition of DVDs and other videos.

Yep. I agree.