Who would you like to see Andy produce?

yep.

i always think about messing around recording me playing bass over the album and trying to fit in over the mix just for my own listening pleasures (which i'm sure someone else has done), but i can't be assed to learn the bass parts cus i can barely hear them haha

but yeh...sheesh, i want ANYONE to remix that album...just so the bass could be turned up though, i've grown to love everything else about the production...even the drums

Man, the other day, we put Justice on. I haven't heard it in fucking years. I had to turn the fucking thing off! I learned how to riff to that album, when I was a kid, but now.:puke: I just couldn't take it!:ill: I don't know, I think I'm oficially a production snob now!:Smug: :lol:

I wouldn't change anything about "And Justice..." If there was one album out there that was instantly recognizable by the sound, it's this one. Just one note and you know what you're listening to. The "lack of bass" or whatever is relative to the time in Metallica's history and is an intentional statement.

CC DeVille's solos were relative to the time in music history but that doesn't mean they're not shit. Hell, I could put up some shit demos, high-pass everything at 7k, and hijack a radio station so that everyone in San Antonio hears them for the next month and a half, and nail the 'recognizable by the sound' part completely - but horrible sound is horrible sound. Old 'DIY' punk and lots of black metal had shit production as an intentional statement, and you know when you're listening to stuff that tries to be kvlt BM or tr00 punk.

I'd say that one of metal's most valuable attributes is that it doesn't need to put anything on a pedestal solely for the sake of worship, like blues guitarists tend to do with SRV or BB King, or like jazz guitarists may do with Wes Montgomery or Joe Pass, or like Jet tried to do with AC/DC - the minute this is done, we're losing progress. The absence of the 'sacred' in metal is incredibly important, as so much has been built under the premise that 'hey, fucker, we can do better than that', and the least we can do is try - worst case scenario, we stick with the original, there's really not much to lose.

Jeff

CC DeVille's solos were relative to the time in music history but that doesn't mean they're not shit. Hell, I could put up some shit demos, high-pass everything at 7k, and hijack a radio station so that everyone in San Antonio hears them for the next month and a half, and nail the 'recognizable by the sound' part completely - but horrible sound is horrible sound. Old 'DIY' punk and lots of black metal had shit production as an intentional statement, and you know when you're listening to stuff that tries to be kvlt BM or tr00 punk.

Who's talking about "music history"? I said Metallica's history. Horrible sound is usually the result of horrible recordings...noise, distortion, bad compression, limited bandwith, etc. "And Justice..." has none of that. Fleming Rasmussen certainly knows what he's doing. Good luck with creating a sound that millions of people recognize.

Punk and black metal had shit production because they couldn't afford good production.

Let's hear you pull off some C.C. Deville solos since they're so shitty.