Which Lamb Of God album do you feel is better?

MURAI

-
Nov 6, 2002
Canada
New American Gospel or As The Palaces Burn?

I bought "As The Palaces Burn" and I felt they started having more of that Gothenburg sound and more clearer vocals. It was a good album but I think New American Gospel is way better though because it sounds genuinely intense and they lost some of that on their new album sounding too polished if you know what I mean. Thoughts?

no question, as the palaces burn. great production, solid song writing. one of the best releases of the year.
~gR~

I didn't care much for New American Gospel. It was a bit empty sounding to be honest. As the Palaces Burn is alot better, though the production is shite.

I like both a lot. It's hard to say. I suppose I like As The Palaces Burn a little bit better. It is more straightforward metal, whereas New American Gospel is a little bit more metalcorish. Both CDs own.

I guess most of you like As The Palaces Burn more. Yeah, like what you said they're more metalcore on New American Gospel. I like it better cause it's just raw aggression and they sound too clean on their new album.

Have you all heard their material in their ealier days when they were called "Burn The Priest"? They were just raw hardcore back then.

I have to go with New American Gospel. I think the songwriting is more unique and unpredictable, even though the production isn't great neither is the production on ATPB for that matter. Don't get me wrong I love both but I feel NAG was more original sounding and I also love the vocal style and delivery too. Randy is more generic sounding now taking to the Phil Anselmo style of vocals.

I wouldn't say he sounds like Phil Anselmo that much at all. Bleeding Through's vocalist sounds a lot more like good ol' retarded Phil than anyone else right now that I can think of, and I wouldn't compare him to the guy from Lamb of God either.

Well more similar to Phil than he was on NAG, only comparison I could make.

Listen to the spoken word part at the begining of Blood Junkie and tell me he doesn't sound like Phil there.

good ol' retarded Phil
:tickled:

When it comes to Lamb Of God I've been reading people say that they're similar to Pantera and Slayer but that's bullshit. They're something seperate and new from those 2 bands. The only tiny bit of resemblence is like what Spirit In Black said was the whispering that Randy Blythe reminded me of Phil Anselmo but that's pretty much it.

you said it Soilent Goat, the production on Lament Configuration is one of the worst i've ever heard in metal. Although i'm led to think by Devin fanboys that's what December wanted, I have a hard time believing it when it sounds so awful.

As for As The Palaces Burn, I like the production. I know it's crap, but to me it feels like it suits the music, much like black metal rawness. As the Palaces Burn is also my favourite of the two. Tis more brutal and evil, as well as being more melodic in places.

SculptedCold said:
you said it Soilent Goat, the production on Lament Configuration is one of the worst i've ever heard in metal. Although i'm led to think by Devin fanboys that's what December wanted, I have a hard time believing it when it sounds so awful.

As for As The Palaces Burn, I like the production. I know it's crap, but to me it feels like it suits the music, much like black metal rawness. As the Palaces Burn is also my favourite of the two. Tis more brutal and evil, as well as being more melodic in places.

Oh no doubt As The Palaces Burn is a great album...I just hope with this new record label there will be some top notch production on the new material...

You guys are only partially correct.

'As The Palaces Burn' was produced by Devin AND Lamb of God themselves.

Devin IS a great producer as is apparent with his own bands, and I thought some of his other work was great (Soilwork, Stuck Mojo)

SculptedCold said:
As for As The Palaces Burn, I like the production. I know it's crap, but to me it feels like it suits the music, much like black metal rawness.
I kinda agree, I think they were aiming for a rawer, rougher sound on the record... but it still sucks. Just think how good it would have sounded with clean production

I have both in my collection and I like them both. But I listen to As The Palaces Burn more than American Gospel. American Gospel has some odd sounding drums to me. It sounds like the dude is banging on aluminum pots for the snare and slapping wet bags of fertilizer for bass. Maybe it's the production, or they intended it to sound like that. I don't know. The vocal style is not my favorite either, it sometimes sound like a dude running out of air and gasping(for lack of a better description). Though I do like his screamed parts. As I say, I liked it enough to buy the disc and I do really like some of the tracks.

Palaces Burn has a sound that is more agreeable to me though the production in general is maybe not quite as good. Still, a great disc. Though I think the vocals still could be better.

The lyrics and song structures are top shelf stuff on both, maybe a bit better on American Gospel.