Which mic suits my voice better? (MP3s)

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Hey Guys--
I could use your opinions on something. I'm currently trying out two different mics to use for lead vocals on our next album, and I need to decide by tomorrow. I'm going to do a lot more testing and comparison tonight, but I thought I'd post something to see if you guys had a preference or not. Ignore the drum machine, etc., as I just threw this together quickly for this purpose. Also, sorry that some of the performance is a bit rough, but I'm still getting over a cold. Anyway, not the most scientific test, as there will obviously be differences between the two performances, but I tried to get them pretty close. No EQ on either other than a HPF at 80 and below. Compressed with Distressor while tracking; no other compression or any other processing besides a bit of verb and whatnot. Tried to match levels of course.

Mic 1

Mic 2

Thanks guys!

Thanks so much guys!
I've been putting them through their paces tonight trying to make my final decision. Mic 1 is the Soundelux U195, and Mic 2 is--believe it or not--the Rode K2 (their new tube mic). I also tried the Soundelux iFET7, and it had a nicer midrange than the U195, but once I got it into a mix that quality made such a tiny difference that I couldn't justify spending twice as much.

Anyway, thanks again for giving that a listen and sharing your opinions; I really appreciate it.

Matt Smith said:
Thanks so much guys!
I've been putting them through their paces tonight trying to make my final decision. Mic 1 is the Soundelux U195, and Mic 2 is--believe it or not--the Rode K2 (their new tube mic). I also tried the Soundelux iFET7, and it had a nicer midrange than the U195, but once I got it into a mix that quality made such a tiny difference that I couldn't justify spending twice as much.

Anyway, thanks again for giving that a listen and sharing your opinions; I really appreciate it.
Ok, I know you are somewhat a vocalist in the style of 'Prog'.

Have you ever tried out any other vocal styles? Perhaps some Lane Staleyish or Devin Townsendish vocals? :)

I liked more the "mic 1" version, but I'm not sure if it was the performance or the mic that made the change, cuz there's a little difference to them which is more noticed in the expressive parts of your voice.

BTW: You've got a great voice, remembers me much of Bruce Dickinson.