Which Opeth song would you use to make a video?

Hmm, depends on the video.. I'd probably use Atonement accompanied by nature pictures, like forests in all seasons, valleys, mountains etc.

99.9% of music videos are trash and opeth are (clearly) no exception. music speaks for itself, and opeth certainly don't need some cumgargler from roadrunner to direct opeth's music videos with imagery of ugly goth lesbians running the countryside and ridiculous men in costumes.

I disagree, music videos can be great if done right. Sigur Ros makes beautifully haunting music videos that go great with the music...

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the most recent Mastodon video (the one in the space) I thought it was kinda freak but cool. :).

Also...

+1 to the idea of Dirge for November, it has already been completly discussed in the past but the whole video clip that it could be is still fresh in my memory.

Some other titles I'd choose.

Credence : Scenes with funerals, departure, the picture from the album, of course, etc.

Dirge for November : Black and white video clip, with a guy staring at a window, very nostalgic somehow, and then slowly preparing to commit suicide. And I have a very precise picture for the ending. There's a drapery on the window that slowly moves (because of the wind, since it's open), and there's a slow fading out and camera going back, and we can see the guy tied up in the room, or something such. I don't know how he kills himself ironically.

Deliverance : A lot of flashy scenes, with love and murder, a man that drowns his beloved, lots of scenes from memories, and then the guy that regrets, the "Deliverance" laughing at him and some dramatic ending.

Hope Leaves : Well of course many scenes from a lost love. Very pale video.

Weakness : Similar to the previous one but darker, with scenes that don't move. Everything stand still. And maybe a murder or something such.

Harlequin Forest : A guy that runs through a forest, trying to escape the hounds, with many scenes of the past, of what he has done to her mother, the summoning, and all the regrets that pushes him down. And also some light that reaches through the trees. (...) And finally the burning woods.

As for Watershed, well I would have done something more explicit and also different from Porcelain Heart, but with the same ambiance. More scenes in Burden but the rest is okay. Maybe a clip for The Lotus Eater, but I don't know what to think really.

About deliverance I could imagine an insane guy, who drowned his beloved as nasty-fire said, but adding the no-regret attitude, like he's possessed by something, and how after that he slowly "disappear into the obscure" after the killing, and after that, he sees himself with those scars produced by the victim's fight for her life, and then he getting mad for killing another one, and how "HE" is inside him and torture him because HE knows that the guy is a puppet

Hint : never consider that some lyrics talk about something specifically if you are only able to take a few lines from it to prove you thesis. You must take in consideration every single lines and explain them.

Why don't you read the lyrics and tell me what you think for yourself? I've read them all, and to me, they all relate to the theme of the destruction of the earth and the individual struggle to come to terms with it. I'm not going to spend my time writing interpretations for every line - you can do so yourself.

I got a concept running out the idea of someone running away from darkness and some hounds, in a twisted dark and full of mud forest, and in a certain part he got caught by the hounds, but he could scape, but with some flesh wounds, and he finish himself claiming for help at the end, and "he" wanting his surrender...I know, its not what the lyrics said, but I though of this, with Harlequin Forest

same here :) everytime I listen to that song I imagine a character (a young woman) , in a dark creepy forest , who is being hunted by a monster ( looks like a dragon) ..she manages to hide,but everytime, it finds her!.. in the end , she reaches a safe place, where there's a lake(blackwater park?), but there was another monster waitin for her there..(the end!)
I've started drawing some 'scenes' but I think a movie would be alot better!!!

Ha ha ha ha
That just reminds me of this for some reason....

Chef's dad: Ooh, it must've been about seven, eight years ago. Me and the little lady was out on this boat, you see, all alone at night, when all of a sudden this huge creature, this giant crustacean from the paleolithic era, comes out of the water.
Chef's mom: We was so scared, Lord have mercy, I jumped up in the boat and I said "Thomas, what on earth is that creature?!"
Thomas: It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes,-
Chef's mom: Oh, it was so scary!
Thomas: -and I yelled. I said, "What do you want from us, monster?!" And the monster bent down and said, "…Uh I need about tree-fitty."
Kyle: What's tree-fitty?
Thomas: Three dollars and fifty cents.

Probably Coil, but mainly to pre-existing footage from other sources (I.e. movies and anime)

Still Life, as most people :( Especially Serenity Painted Death, would be a lot of blood and gore in it, Kill Bill style with main character (played by Ron Pearlman or Danny Trejo) cutting soldiers of the cross' (one of them being played by Mel Gibson) limbs and blood fountains all around :)

Blackwater Park idea seems nice too, althought I'd rather put it medieval-themed too with the main character kinda reminding Aragorn from LOTR going through some village and looking at all the possible shit happening around (lepers dying around and all).

Or Funeral Portrait, black-white scenery, rain, perhaps rather sketchy-looking animations than real actors, only color accent would be red eyes of main character who is undead drawn in some twisted and inhuman way.

And maybe Atonement, always when I listen to it I imagine some dark forest with a river during moonlit night, main character could be sitting on some stones at the river, somehow like a Gollum and looking at the moon... Too bad it isn't possible to add scents into movies/videoclips, or otherwise there would perfectly fit a scent of a coniferous tree.

About deliverance I could imagine an insane guy, who drowned his beloved as nasty-fire said, but adding the no-regret attitude, like he's possessed by something, and how after that he slowly "disappear into the obscure" after the killing, and after that, he sees himself with those scars produced by the victim's fight for her life, and then he getting mad for killing another one, and how "HE" is inside him and torture him because HE knows that the guy is a puppet

Yeah that version is better. Somehow that's what I meant to say by "regrets" but I didn't go into details. But I wouldn't imagine that the protagonist had antecedents. I would just say that he killed her in a moment of insanity.

"All over now, forgotten why I needed this"
But the deliverance of killing her, in the end, brought to him nothing good, he still feels uncomfortable and insane.. which explains why it is thrown back at him, laughing at him. Just ideas.

Why don't you read the lyrics and tell me what you think for yourself? I've read them all, and to me, they all relate to the theme of the destruction of the earth and the individual struggle to come to terms with it. I'm not going to spend my time writing interpretations for every line - you can do so yourself.

I read the lyrics and I agree that it obviously talks about "the tragedy of man". I'm just saying that quoting only some lines often ends up in misinterpretation.

you're telling me...

:confused: I don't know what the heck what's the meaning and the purpose of that reply but I don't like it and the hate I have toward you keeps growing up. Damn philno.

Ha ha ha ha
That just reminds me of this for some reason....

Chef's dad: Ooh, it must've been about seven, eight years ago. Me and the little lady was out on this boat, you see, all alone at night, when all of a sudden this huge creature, this giant crustacean from the paleolithic era, comes out of the water.
Chef's mom: We was so scared, Lord have mercy, I jumped up in the boat and I said "Thomas, what on earth is that creature?!"
Thomas: It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes,-
Chef's mom: Oh, it was so scary!
Thomas: -and I yelled. I said, "What do you want from us, monster?!" And the monster bent down and said, "…Uh I need about tree-fitty."
Kyle: What's tree-fitty?
Thomas: Three dollars and fifty cents.

I gave him a dollar

Goddammit woman no wonder that Lockness Monsters keeps coming back!

hahahahaha great stuff. love south park

EDIT: oh, and blackwater park would make a good video. zombie-lepper-demon-like creatures possessed by the devil probing vomits, etc. in the streets of a ruined city. also MAYH would make a good vid

I agree...I hear Bwp and I imagine that creepy dark blurry park, with that oily black lake, and these strange people going around, and a reaper showing you the place with a big smile, and showing you his tools of the trade, and at the end he just catch you, and you have no hope....The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park :)

I got a concept running out the idea of someone running away from darkness and some hounds, in a twisted dark and full of mud forest, and in a certain part he got caught by the hounds, but he could scape, but with some flesh wounds, and he finish himself claiming for help at the end, and "he" wanting his surrender...I know, its not what the lyrics said, but I though of this, with Harlequin Forest

Harlequin Forest is the only Opeth song which always makes me see the same "film" in my head.

It's simply about a guy walking through more or less strange sceneries.
In the beginning, obviously, he leaves his home, walks on a path through the woods, and far behind him there are some barking dogs. But he is not escaping from them, or rushing at all. He is always striding at the same relatively slow speed.
To make it short, he gets to places like deserts, prairies, small cities with big modern skyscapers in this otherwise "deserted" regions and other woods.

The probably most mentionalbe scenes are the ones with the forest he meets at 5:05. Its a dark, slightly rotten, but still very dense forest at the edge of a desert. The guy somehow likes it there, but the roots are growing towards him, to "thieve from his source". - And because of actually misheared lyrics, he is then shortly "tied and bound". :D But without any trouble he gets away from this, disappointed and again seeking for a place where he might like to stay.
...He gets there again in the end. The wood is burning until there is nothing more than smoking trunks, which unveil themselves as pyres, where now roasted corpses are tied to.
Then the guy turns away, completely disillusioned, walking still with the same moderate pace over the prairie towards the mountains, maybe sometimes turning around gazing around as if he was looking for something in particular, but it's nothing more than an expression of his helplessness.

The Drapery Falls, definitely! It would be a good horror-themed video. But without gore of course. Just a few ghosts here and there and a really scary dark room in the middle of the autumn.:Smokedev: I always imagined the intro and the outro rather suitable for Return of the King, when the great battle starts. With Nazguls flying around and shit...that'd be pretty cool.:kickass: