which should i get next?

mikedude

New Metal Member
Sep 5, 2004
i have my arms, your hearse and still life which are awesome, but i haven't heard anything off the other albums....are they much different from these albums? which opeth should i get next that i wont regret (dont think i will) are there more songs like demons of the fall vocals?

A Guide To The World Of Opeth:
Orchid - Harsh vocals and poorer quality, but excellent (if disjointed) jamming. The Adventure album. Best heard last, as takes some effort to properly admire.
Morningrise - What Orchid wanted to be. Songs hold together better, improved sound, and the first true Opeth Classics!
MAYH & Still Life you already know...
Blackwater Park - The 'easiest' to listen to (and get into), as the vocals are easier, the songs simpler and more direct (repetitive perhaps). Yet memorable moments abound, and the atmosphere is the thickest (and best) since MAYH.
Deliverance - The under-valued new addition. Direct, heavy, and all-round quality (drumming, singing, guitaring). Takes time to absorb each song, but definitely worth it. Personal favourite maybe?
Damnation - Simple, clean, mellow. Dont expect the musical variation of the main Opeth releases, as this album keeps everything small and sweet. The type of album you will listen to when you cant be bothered with the sometimes overwhelming nature of metal and just want to sing along.

(disclaimer: if you disagree with anything i just said then i hate you)

Wow, I really disagree with that list.

I'd say go for Coma of Souls... German thrash at its best :). At least Steve Wilson didn't taint that record :D.

No, but seriously, your logical progression is Blackwater Park. Out of the rest of the material, its the one that sounds most like MAYH and Still Life, despite overall being simpler and less atmospheric. It was sort of like a production/musical experimentation playground for the band and their newfound producer.

Stay the hell away from Deliverance, or at least listen to it at the end, so that you only get doubts about Opeth's credibility after you've absorbed the magnitude of earlier opuses. So after BWP, I'd say go for Orchid or Morningrise. I personally don't like Morningrise much. It sounds like a more monotonous, boring and longer drawn-out version of Orchid, with less guitar solos, and more bass wanking.

Moonlapse said:
Wow, I really disagree with that list.

I'd say go for Coma of Souls... German thrash at its best :). At least Steve Wilson didn't taint that record :D.

No, but seriously, your logical progression is Blackwater Park. Out of the rest of the material, its the one that sounds most like MAYH and Still Life, despite overall being simpler and less atmospheric. It was sort of like a production/musical experimentation playground for the band and their newfound producer.

Stay the hell away from Deliverance, or at least listen to it at the end, so that you only get doubts about Opeth's credibility after you've absorbed the magnitude of earlier opuses. So after BWP, I'd say go for Orchid or Morningrise. I personally don't like Morningrise much. It sounds like a more monotonous, boring and longer drawn-out version of Orchid, with less guitar solos, and more bass wanking.

My first thought was: Get Blackwater Park. It's what I heard first, and has led me to MAYH/Still Life and finally to Orchid. Orchid was difficult for me to listen to at first, but worth it. So I agree with Moonlapse here because when I was new to it, I am/was in a simillar progression to each album.

And once again Deliverance gets thrashed simply because it's the newest (heavy) album. It's not that bad, just give it a bit more of a chance.