Which album next?

I would say anything other than Orchid but you haven't said which your favourite albums were... so don't know which era of Opeth you prefer.

Opeth are a band where you can't really go wrong cause all there albums have something pretty great about them. MAYH is the best of those 3 imo. But when starting someone with Opeth, you need to first find out their background in music eg. if they are used to metal or not? whether they have a rock background? what kind of metal they are into if they are? They have so many influences its hard to determine where to start people. Plus each album mayh onwards is quite different from the previous.

you're gonna get them all eventually anyway so just buy them all now. but if you have to pick just one I'd go with Ghost Reveries.

...also depends on what type of sound you like. IMHO Orchid has ok songs but sounds dreadful, MAYH has really good songs but is pretty muddy sounding and GR also has really good songs and excellent sound.

Ghost Reveries is my favorite Opeth album, so I would have to say get it. It definitely has the best sound quality of the three, that's indisputable. But, of course, depending on your own tastes, one of the others may be a better choice. If you like more constant heaviness and shouting/growling/screaming, then go with either Orchid or My Arms Your Hearse, but if you like more melody and variety, then go with Ghost Reveries (again, my personal favorite). As someone else has already said, though, you're probably going to get them all anyway, so it's probably not that big of a deal....

they're all great wonderful band progression yaddayaddayadda MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE.
Orchid's a dark interesting listen, Ghost Reveries is richly coloured but starting to show others' influences too much, MAYH is one of the best albums ever.

hmm My Arms your Hearse.. I only picked up recently for the first time.. and already its my second favourite to Blackwater Park.. Oh soo very good!
Ghost Reveries though is amazing too, Ghost of Perdition really is just a perfect song :).. hmm the rest of the album is essential too..so buy them both :p

MAYH was my first Opeth album, and is still my MVP, so to speak. Having that said, like others here have said, you really cant go wrong wit those albums.

I'd say all of them but if your just trying to ease into opeth album by album i would say without a doubt MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE. I'm sure i'll catch shit but in my honest opinion, orchid is a lost cause in the respect that if your getting into opeth and you love there other albums that you said you had, you'll more than likely be a little disapointed by orchid's "primetive" sound, at least that was the case with me, i too started with albums like BWP and such and by the time i bought orchid i was disapointed only because i was expecting what i heard from the other albums. But after/IF you get the entire catologue Orchid is a must. But anyway, sorry for the rant, again- my vote goes towards MAYH.

MAYH. I think When, April Ethereal, and Demon of the Fall are three of their absolute best tracks.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this statement. I find the only real let down of MAYH is The Amen Corner; for some reason I just find it's pretty unspectacular.

I'd definitely make Orchid the last Opeth album you get; while it is a good album, I'd say it's the weakest.

Ghost Reveries is also incredible, I don't see how it's possible to dislike it.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this statement. I find the only real let down of MAYH is The Amen Corner; for some reason I just find it's pretty unspectacular.

I'd definitely make Orchid the last Opeth album you get; while it is a good album, I'd say it's the weakest.

Ghost Reveries is also incredible, I don't see how it's possible to dislike it.

You speak the truth... While Orchid is a really good album, it took a long time before it clicked with me. Now I love it, not as much as the others of course...