Who else would love to see Grave Digger this year?

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
Granted theres nothing I really have to go on to make me think Glenn would have gotten them, but they do have a new album out this year (The Last Supper) and they have already played the BWBK fest. And uh, they kick severe amounts of ass. They could definitely destroy the crowd the way Brainstorm did last year.

I so agree. Grave Digger along with Running Wild are two of my absolute favorite bands ever. I was blown away by Grave Digger last yeat at BWBK and they totally destroyed that crowd with their heavy metal assault and had the fans begging for more. They played to a packed house and after that nobody wanted to stick around and Katatonia had to play to maybe a quarter of what was there for Grave Digger. It was absolutely an amazing experience and I pray that they get to come back and play ProgPower.

Grave Digger so deserves to play Progpower, along with Running Wild. I hope Glenn has considered or already contacted them to play at some point. I was at Brave Words too and Grave Digger delivered. Their new album, along with The Grave Digger and Rheingold were sooo good, those guitars are strong as shit.
Look for a review of The Last Supper at www.thatssometal.com .

You know, it's strange, I have like 1500 cd's and some of the most obscure unknown bands out there, but I do not own 1 Grave Digger album. Can you guys compare them to someone or give me a better idea as to what their style is? Also, if you could choose 2 albums to start with, what would they be? Thanks
Pat

nightwish58 said:
You know, it's strange, I have like 1500 cd's and some of the most obscure unknown bands out there, but I do not own 1 Grave Digger album. Can you guys compare them to someone or give me a better idea as to what their style is? Also, if you could choose 2 albums to start with, what would they be? Thanks
Pat

Grave Digger is kinda similar to older Rage, only a bit heavier and thrashier (the former Rage guitarist, Manni Schmidt, plays with them now, actually). I think the most unique aspect of Grave Digger is their singer, Chris Boltendahl. He has one of the ugliest, meanest sounding melodic voices I've ever heard. Its like halfway between Hansi from Blind Guardian and Mille from Kreator, or as my friend put it, picture what Hansi might sound like after 15 beers and 3 packs of cigarettes. I actually only have one of their albums, Rheingold, but its fuckin killer, so I'd say might as well start there.

I would say start with Tunes of War, Heart of Darkness, The Grave Digger. They are not just a Power Metal band but that style is more prominant on albums like Tunes of War, Knights of the Cross and Excalibur. Albums like The Reaper and Heart of Darkness are definately the darker side to the band, tho their sound and style is the same, just topically dark.
They use bag pipes at times, different orchestrations to create moods and atmospheres, an essential band. Rheingold and the new one The Last Supper combine the thrash with the Power Metal nicely.
Their first two albums are very thrashy, Heavy Metal Breakdown and Witchhunter.
For a festival like Progpower they do have the material to be part of it.
Much respect to their history, Cheers.

I would recommend to start with either Tunes of War, Knights of the Cross, Excalibur or Rheingold. All their albums since "The Reaper" have been strong so you can't really go wrong with them. I hope to catch them in Barcelona this year...so far it is not on their European schedule but usually they play here every tour. Hopefully this year won't be an exception...